Walking a half marathon a year after Achilles rupture?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I ruptured my Achilles tendon on April 3rd, 2016 (full rupture). I live in Canada and my doctor recommended non-operative rehab, based on new research from the University of Western Ontario.

I am now almost 9weeks post-rupture, and my tendon is healing well. Gradually reducing the number of wedges in my boot, off crutches, and starting to do calf raises with my heels coming down onto a thick book.

I love to set goals for myself and was wondering whether anyone has come back to do a race a year after their injury? I know I probably won't be running (I'm a dancer, not a runner!) but am hoping to enter either a 10k or half marathon walking race in May 2017.

Any thoughts? I'm just taking things a day at a time, doing core/arm work and am going to start stationary biking with my boot on next week. Just wondered what others thought. Thanks in advance!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi HJ

I would say your target is more than realistic. I did mine (full rupture) in December and also went non-operative so 5 and a half months ago. I am able to cycle fair distances, so far 45 miles is the furthest I've been and I'm starting to thgrow hills in as well. I have walked for 2 hours after a 35 mile cycle, later the same day and found that ok as well. From your description of how you are doing I would say you are well on course, a lot will depend on how much work you put in but also don't try and push too quickly! Very difficult and my main problem. I can do full calf raises using just my bad leg now (just). Expect to see just very gradual but steady improvement. Good luck!

Chris

• Posted

Thanks Chris! I don't plan to have a time goal (but we'll see how well I'm doing in a year!) but just want to complete the race. In looking at past year's results, some people have completed it in 2.5hrs!! So I just want o cross that finish line with pride. smile

I know it will take a lot of work, but I'm slowly making progress each day, even at 12wks. I can raise up on two feet, and can almost come down just on one leg. I'm walking on tiptoes on crutches to build calf strength and can walk for short distances with one crutch. I know it will come in time. smile

• Posted

I am 13 weeks non operative. Walking no crutches not totally normal but very close. Boot came off at 8 weeks. Driving. Physio once a week. Ankle still not as flexible as before but coming along. Working on strength. Can do 2 footed heel rises but not single leg rises yet. Have been given a ton of exercises & progress is happening. The next month is all about strenthening. Plan to be on golf course by August 1.

Hard part is working hard at progress but knowing when enough is enough.

you will get there.

• Posted

Just wanted to give a brief update for those that have newly ruptured their Achilles tendon. I am now roughly 18 weeks (4.5 months) from when I ruptured my tendon on April 3rd. At first I felt my progress was slow, as my walking boot only came off on July 5th; it was on for a long time.

When it first came off, I didn't think I'd ever walk normally again, and I felt very frustrated. However, at this point I can now do heel raises on two feet, coming down on one (while holding onto something for balance). I can *almost* do a single heel raise, but it only goes a bit off the ground. I have walked 5km and 7.5kms several times, and biked 10km the other day. My balance is slowly improving as well, and today at physiotherapy I did some small jump squats. THAT was scary, but I didn't have any pain.

All that to say.....sometimes progress feels slow, but keep going and moving forward. Small progress is still progress! I'm registered for a 10km walk race at the end of September, roughly my 6 month rupture-versary smile Bring it on!!!

• Posted

Sorry for the abscense. I reruptured mid July & had surgery end of July. I am now almost 8 weeks post op. In a boot with 1 wedge, FWB. Doing PT, only for a laser therapy to break down scar tissue, twice a week. Hopefully out of boot in a week & start the walking, stretching, strengthening process all over again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.