Walking after 6 weeks bunionectomy

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hi Friends,

For those of you who had only one foot done, I am wondering how you are feeling at 6 weeks. I have been walking for about 10 days in the aircast, as I had the surgery 6 weeks ago yesterday, but my foot is still sore and hurts, and I have severe sciatica in my good leg from sitting around for so long. My wound is raw and red, though no bleeding or oozing, of course.  I thought I woud be much better by now.  Is anyone else at the 6 week point, and in pain?  I'm very dicouraged as I was told I could drive at 7 weeks, tho I am in this boot until after 8 weeks.  Thanks so much.

7 likes, 875 replies

875 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Joyce  I am now just over 7 weeks post op following a skarf osteotomy on my left foot.  It would seem that everyone that has bunion surgery has different aftercare from their surgeon.  After my operation I had a half plaster cast covered in bandages and this was removed at 2 weeks.  There were no stitches to be removed and my wound has healed beautifully.  You would hardly notice that it is there.  I was told to obtain a toe separator and to wear this all the time and that a splint might help as well.  I was given advice only to heel walk until I saw him again at 7 weeks.  Having had my appointment last week I had the go ahead to start walking and putting pressure on the forefoot and to drive and do what felt right.  Needless to say after 7 weeks being reliant on others I ventured out on Saturday for the first time. I did spend some time in the car on my drive practicing to see if I could put enough pressure on to operate the clutch.  Now having physio and the manual deep tissue massage she has done today has really helped loosen my foot up so that I can now heel toe walk a bit better.  It seems a very long and slow process whatever advice you are given but have been swimming today and that was nice as non weight bearing. Wishing you well in your recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you so much, Jane.  I probably walked a little soon, but certainly, only around the house.  When I swam the other day, the foot hurt as I tried to "kick". When you drove your car, did you wear the boot or a sneaker, or trainer shoe?  I can't wait to drive, and get myself out of the house.  I can't even imagine " deep massage" as my foot is so sensitive to touch.  I appreciate your reply. I am happy for you that you're doing so well.
    • Posted

I'm 6 week after op . I have been driving for 2 weeks . A little pain very red . I was told when u can do a emergency stop then go

• Posted

Hello Maria

I am currently in my 3rd week recovering from having a bunion removed from my right foot and I'm interested in finding out where you are now in your recovery?

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Maria,

Checking to see how you at doing at this point. If I may ask what type of shoes are you wearing. Has your pain gone away? I had surgery 3 weeks ago and the first 2 weeks I was miserable but this 3rd week I am doing better and tomorrow I was told by doctor I will be in cast. I have not walked at all. How long before you started walking?

• Posted

Hi Mitch1069,

Checking to see how you are doing with your recovery? Is your pain gone? What shoes are you wearing if you don't mind me asking. I just had bunion removed from my left foot and 2 screws put in to align my toe. I was also going to get my right foot done  but due to so much pain I went thru the first 2 weeks, I will not proceed with my right foot. I am now on my 3 weeks and just started feel better.

• Posted

Hi Mitch

How are you now i had a bunion removed 2 weeks ago and still have a bit discomfort never had any pain h

ow long  was before you walked properly as im in a stiff shoe and find it most cumbersome

Thanks Ann

• Posted

Hi Ann, I had bunion surgery on 1/10/18 on my right foot with one pin that will be removed in 2 more weeks. I’ve been searching the internet reading forums and watching vlogs. I haven’t really found many that are current, but saw your was from just 4 days ago and that you had surgery close to mine.

I have found the first few days weren’t as bad, due to the meds, as the days when I was off of them. I think it’s the pin that is causing my discomfort more than anything. One day I feel good, the next day not so much, I got my medical boot after a week, but am having a slow time with it, not making much progress...again, I think it’s the pin. Stitches are out and I started the big toe exercises yesterday. I find them extremely painful and last night and this morning my foot just hurts and it’s hard to find a comfortable position...again where the pin is. I have to admit I’m terrified to start on my toe today.

on the good note, doc said my foot looks great.  I not only had a bunion, but the bone was pushing up and I had spurs. He said it would only get worse. I have a minor bunion on my other foot, not near as bad...I’m hesitant to do this again.  Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. Hopefully you’ll see the post. 

Lulu

• Posted

H lulu

I have been to physio today he said it was healing well but my pin and screws stay in and my stitches are dissolveable ones physio said he would help me to try and be weightbearing in 2 weeks but the thought of that scares me it seems no where near ready yet it still looks a purple colour was yours like that its still swollen but getting used to my stiff soled shoe my big toe still looks big im 18 days post op thanks for your reply ann

• Posted

Hi Lulu- thank - you for sharing and everyone else as well; info greatly helps with recovery .  I had surgery 1/9/2018 to left foot and second toe needed realignment and third toe had hammertoe so have pins in 2 and 3 which will come out in several more weeks.  Needed the surgery for a long time and finally put it on my plate.       The first week and a half a lot with swelling  , burning like discomfot at times .    Much better the past few days.   I see surgeon tomorrow and sutures out.    Wearing darco heel boot,  area bandaged ,  elevation. using  knee walker  , minimal heel walk with assist.   anxious to get ok to shower .  Hope you continue to heal well      
    • Posted

Hi Ann, for some reason your reply didn’t pop up on my email yesterday, but Helens did today. Did you just have the bunion done? Did they not give you a medical boot? I had mine after one week, and was told I could start using it and weight bearing one hour a day, working up to 4 hours a day at the end of 4 weeks in it. Unfortunately, that has been slow going. I practiced again yesterday, but my other foot was not level. After 10 minutes I stopped and when I sat down I could tell I had either pulled or strained my lower back muscles. It was either from the imbalance or the way I was holding my back when walking, or both. So now I’m sore, on OTC meds, heating pad, etc..trying to get this fixed. Darn it...just as I was making progress. 

My foot is wrapped, but when he took out the stitches, it wasn’t blue and the swelling wasn’t horrible. But my big toe is bruised and blue I can see, and swollen. So, it’s not much fun to touch it and bend.

its only been 15 days now and I’m so sick of it! Let’s keep in touch with our progress.  Lulu

• Posted

Hi Helen, looks like we are in the same time table with surgery. Ouch, you had a lot done! I agree about the burning sensation, I thought the 2nd week was more uncomfortable on an ongoing basis. It was so tingly, like the foot had been asleep for weeks, then the shatter feelings of pins and needles.

i read that’s the nerves firing. A few evenings I couldn’t find any comfortable position for my foot, those were bad nights. Sleeping has been a struggle. I’m in the guest room and some nights I’m all over the bed with covers everywhere and my body contorted to find a comfy position. But the past few days, like you, the foot seems to have settled down immensely. I can put it almost in any position.

are you and Ann going crazy with boredom on your sofa? I’m not sure I’ll ever want to sit here again. But I’m trying to count my blessings.  iPad and internet, Netflix, knee scooter {praise the heavens for that). But still, it’s tough.

i got the ok to shower after 1 week with the shower casing they gave out. It took SO long, because I was no weight wearing. We have a bathroom downstairs with a shower. I bought a shower stool and very carefully made my way over, holding onto things, hopping or scooting on good foot. etc. it was kind of scary. Today I took my 2nd one. Much better now I can rest my foot a little when showering. 

The doc told me I’d be in shoes and on my feel 7/8 hours a day (not all at once) by the end of 2 months. With that, we had booked a family vacation for May (4 months post surgery). In hindsight, now I think that was silly and wish we had pushed it out another month or two.  

Lets kerp in touch. Lulu

• Posted

hi lulu and helen

yes im so bored with sitting on the sofa and watching tv i worry sometimes if i will ever be ready to go back to my job as i am on my feet all day im a catering manager for school meals i can not imagine being on my foot all day yet .I dont see my surgeon till 26th of feb physio said he would help me to try and get going again i cant wait we have a hol booked for april 1st so hope my foot is properly better br then

• Posted

hi

you might have got my email sooner as i am in england where are you all at

regards ann

• Posted

Lulu348,

Following your post. I'm a year out from bunionectomy & doing great.

Just wanted to share about clomping around in that boot. 

I pulled a muscle in my hip because I was so off -balance. Wear a good athletic shoe on your other foot. 

When I wised up to that I was much improved. 

I was pretty miserable for a while. Be sure to put weight back onto your heel. Don't weight bear toward the front where u had surgery. 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Ann, I live in the Midwest U.S.  

Lisa, thanks for the tip. I do have a trainer ordered that should match the boot height, and I purchased an a Evenup shoe thingy. I was concerned it wouldn’t be stable enough, but now I wish I had tried it.

i was going heel to toe, so when I’m able to get back to it, I’ll be mindful of that.

How was it when you could finally put on a sneaker? Did it hurt?

• Edited

I was 8 wks in my boot. Went into it  immediately after surgery. This is a lot of trauma to the foot.  I had so much swelling. I thought it would never go away. Ice ice & elevate. Do not rush healing! 

I bought lace up Skechers in wide when I finally got out of boot. But even then I had quite a bit of discomfort. 

As u continue to heal you'll slowly get back into "normal shoes "

Certainly were times I thought "what have I gotten myself into"

I was thinking 6 wks & I'll be up & running. NO! 

But it was all worth it. Truthfully.

I'm in the Southeast . They certainly do things differently in the UK,don't they?

It was so helpful to find this forum. 

I would've become so discouraged if I didn't know what others were going through. 

Good luck!

• Posted

Ann, I can’t imagine being on your feet all day in a month. I’m not sure that is realistic, I would talk to your doctor again. 

Lisa, how long was it before you felt comfortable walking for a few hours? Not totally healed, I know that can take up to a year, but good enough. I’m really hoping by 4 months I’ll be comfortable enough for our vacation.

There really have been times these past 2 weeks that I’ve questioned my decision to have this done. I wasn’t in constant pain or anything like some people.  

Also, did you go to physical therapy. How hard did you pull and push your big toe at the 3 week mark? Thanks...Lulu

• Posted

I believe you'll be okay by May. Merrell makes some really comfy sandals.  Good arch support is key.

Just be prepared for continued swelling for a while. 

Unfortunately my Dr's nurse failed to tell me I should be doing toe exercises so at 4 wks I had some scar tissue forming.  

But I was able to make up for lost time.

A PT showed me how to massage around the incision & release that scar tissue. 

There are some really good YouTube videos w/toe exercises 

• Posted

Like you,I wasn't in constant pain before my decision to have surrgery. 

I had a mild-moderate bunion.

But it was getting to the point that I could only wear a few shoes without pain. My podiatrist said it would only get worse.

I only went once to a physical therapist.  That's all I needed  to learn the exercises & become aware of walking with movement from heel through toe. 

After all that heel walking it's difficult to regain a normal gait. 

You'll get there.

• Posted

hi

the doctor said to keep my shoe on for 4 weeks but i cant see that being removed soon there lots ofswelling still ,it feels like i have a stone under my toes wonder if thats the soft tissue damage, mine was mild to moderate i also think why did i bother having it done still got hol to look forward to im going to try the shops today my daughter is coming with me.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I have watched those YouTube videos. Thanks for letting me know that scar tissue can form so quickly. My doc did tell me to do the exercises, but he comes in like a whirlwind. He’s not very good at telling things, I’m always haveing to ask. For instance, he said to pull the tie back and forth several times a day, there must be pain. Well, what does several times mean, and how long? He said, if I have to save a schedule maybe 9 times a day for a minute.

my bunion is also more on the mild side. It really only hurt when I wore any elevated heel, so that’s not good.  Then the soft tissues would ache afterwards,  ever the bone. The thing is, I have the same bunion on my other foot. But it’s not pushed up. He said we would address that in a couple years. That makes me almost ill to think about. I want to see if what he does address my foot 100%, then I’ll consider it. My DH will have a cow! 

H

Im glad it will be coming into summer weather in a few months, so it will be sandal season. I have plantar fasciitis that flares up about once a year or so, so I’ve learned about sandals with arch support. I have some Abeo’s and Tevas, but I could still wear most of my sandals. Those feel soooo good though when I have them on. It looks like these types will be my main footwear going forward. I’ve decided to get rid of any heels I have with pointy toes or narrow toe bed. One a daily basis, buy comfy ones and then when I want to go out in the evening, I can wear my cute shoes. 

Your posts have have been very encouraging and helpful. Do you have a bunion on your other foot?

• Posted

Good morning, Lulu

I'm glad this info is helpful.  That's what this community is all about.

I had plantar fascists several years ago also. That's when I discovered Merrells. That arch support is so good.

No bunion on left foot but I have those aggravating little tailor's bunions on outside of  both feet which make my feet a bit wider. I still wear a med width  shoe though. 

I would not want to go through another bunionectomy! 

I just used my hands to push my big toe down  & back up. I liked the video here she used her toes to bunch the scarf up under her toes. That's a helpful exercise.  My PT said u can overdo the exercises early on because you're still healing.

Ugh! My podiatrist was a good surgeon but his communication skills were seriously lacking. Lol

I think everything in moderation. You  usually know when you're overdoing it.

Happy to answer anytime u have a concern. 

• Posted

Hi Ann,

I'm not really familiar w/your situation. I'm in the U.S. South.

I know your bunionectomy post surgery is different in England. 

After my surgery while in recovery I was fitted w/pneumatic boot. I wore that day & night for 5 days.  I could get up for bathroom visits but always had weight on heel. 

Had stitches removed at 8 days, I beleive.kept foot wrapped tightly.  

Could do household chores as tolerated  always wearing boot.  

I elevated my foot & iced alot! 

I was in boot for 8 wks.

Afterwards I wore wide lace up sneakers  w/good arch support. 

Was bothered w/swelling for many months.  We have very hot summers,that didn't help.

It's normal to have burning, shooting pain in the toe. It will go away.

As I told Lulu,you can't rush this recovery.  It's alot of trauma to your foot.

Also fluid naturally goes to the lowest extremities. So there's your swelling. 

I found compression stocking VERY helpful. 

Look for  a " forefoot compression stocking ". And my Dr. recommended toe spacer for the first couple of months to keep that big toe aligned. 

Best of luck!

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I was given a compression sleeve to help alleviate swelling after my stitches healed

My surgeon had them in his office . They fit over your forefoot just past your arch with a separate entry for your big toe. Kind of like a glove. 

I wore these for a long time,even at  night. The support felt good.

He also told me when I went into shoes to put your shoes  on first thing in morning. It helps hold down the swelling. 

• Posted

hi lisa

i think its more or less the same op i was put in a shoe after surgery and can only partial weight bear on heel didnt sleep in it got stitches out at 10 days then put back in shoe hopefully try to walk in a few weeks time with p t im am diong a few household chores as hubbys not great at it but gives it a go think i will look fot those stockings thanks for the help i would never get this done again even though i didnt have much pain it to much down time

thanks ann

• Posted

It's hard to believe a year ago I was dreading my surgery (2/2/17).

But now I'm so glad I had it done. A normal foot,no pain,wearing nice shoes. I don't even think about foot pain now.

You'll feel the same way.

Stay strong!

• Posted

When my surgeon took off the wrapping to take out my sutures last week, the shape of my foot looked so nice, even with swelling. Now I’ll be lopsided with the bunion on my other foot, I had to go into a wide width a couple years ago. My bunions were minor and nothing hurt yet, I didn’t even notice them. I thought it was just my foot widening due to age. Now I think it was the bunions.

thanks for the tip on putting shoes on in the morning. I think because I have a pin, I was not allowed any weight bearing for 2 weeks. Even now, 9nly in my air cast boot, which I’m going to try again tomorrow , after I give my back a little more rest.

i do have compression socks, but will look for the ones you mentioned. I was planning on definitely wearing them in May on the plane. 

I cant wait to be in your “shoes” next year at this time!

• Posted

hi

i wish i knew how to put photos on here i would show you my foot after the bandage came off it looked like something out of a horror movie its settled a bit now all my friends were shocked i was too

ann

• Posted

Oh no, Ann! Did your foot peel the way I’ve been reading?
    • Posted

Hello Ann, Lulu

thank you so much for all the info sharing and Lisa sharing your experiences being further out in recovery so helpful .  despite asking questions and desearch before hand is so comforting to know others having similar experiences .  I saw surgeon today for second visit post surgery.   Sutures need to stay in longer , looked less swelling than two weee,s ago but still a lot and certainly Attractive but all straight and healing well.  Can walk with heel boot . . I wore a sketchers slip on my good foot but not high enough , felt very off balance.   Was able to stop for breakfast with my husband that was  nice .  I live in New England and cold out today but bright sunshine.    The surgeon bent toe a lot and told me t do this several times a day, had small amount oozing one suture area and was told normal , I must be applying lots pressure on outside part of foot as that was swollen esp my fourth toe and bruising , icing it now and will probable take a pain pill today, trying to stay away from that as much as I can , returning to work on February first, work home only right now.  Three more weeks until pins can come out . Slept awful last night and tired today .   Trying to move around using knee walker and finding my back etc getting sore . lulu hope your back feels better.  I have been doing arm exercise video and chair stretches etc as this immobility getting to me.   I do see the gradual improvements and past those first two weeks is great . We have colonial and goal is to do stairs , set up shower chair , cover my foot and shower .    Lulu I bet you will do fine with your vacation ,   Six to eight weeks is acute healing then continued recovery for quite some time but I bet you will do ok as that is still months away .     Wishing all a great afternoon 

• Posted

no lulu it didnt peel but was so swollen and looked purple it looked horrid with the stitches my daughter ssid it looked like frankinstien

ann

• Posted

hi helen

my pins or screws stay in i suppose it depends on the op we had i had dissolvable stitches and tried to go in th e showeron day 3 got my bandage wet and mt stitches bleed i ended up going to emergency medial center and had to wait for 4 hours before i got seen then a registrar changed the bandage by that time the bleeding had stopped my stitches had dissolved to soon in places all ok now just wait to walk still got shoe on

ann

• Posted

Thanks for info, I am sorry that happened to you early in the course  . I too have permanent screws bunion . I have  removeable pin second and third toe and cannot wait until they are out .    Paying price tonight , I was up the most today, since surgery and too of my foot " tight and very sore tonight ", all normal I think with this process.  I wanted to go to my child dress rehearsal for dance competition kick off season tomorrow but thinking too soon ,  I bet you are looking forward to when the shoe comes off .     

• Posted

Oohh my foot I took pictures o through out the entire process, before during and after 

?I'm now 3 weeks since getting pin out and my skin is finally becoming smooth again.. the foot still wont go into a shoe but maybe next week.. 

?The dry skin and scale eeewww

• Posted

Cathy, Thanks for the pictures. Also, does it hurt too much when the pin is taken out? I have mine out 2/8. I’ve read some accounts where they said it was no big deal, and one that said it was the most painful thing. 

Something that hat is really bothering me is my back. I have osteoarthritis in my lower back and walking keeps it limber and pretty pain free. This sitting all the time is taking its toll.

also, were you in a medical boot for awhile before walking shoes?

• Posted

Hi Ladies!!  I just had surgery on my second foot almost two weeks ago.  I was just reading through your posts.  I had wanted to add that, after my first surgery (I'm almost 4 mos out on that foot), the skin on the bottom of my foot was awful.  I soaked my foot in eucalyptus epsom salts, warm water, and that solved the problems.  I had waited much too long to have this done, for sure.  With the first surgery, it was two splints (because he had so much bone, and muscle repair), then a plaster cast and then a boot---it all took a little over three months and then pt twice a week--which was (and is) a lot of work, but, so worth it.  But, I was at the point where I was even unable to wear flip flops, I had lost my arches and I could only walk for about half an hour because of tremendous pain.  For some reason, my toenails were a total mess as this worsened, so I have finally gotten them all under control and, now this time around with my other foot, I am looking forward to wearing the compression stocking----it just sounds so soothing.  I really appreciate all the information you ladies have provided.  This ordeal is extremely lonely at times in addition to everything else you have to go through.  I did find that it is a LOT of work to retrain the foot and I have had to be intentional about keeping my (corrected) foot straight when I walk.  I am going back to my surgeon shortly and am anxious to see how this foot is.  I am still on pain meds but I am trying to take them only when absolutely necessary.  Thanks again for being here!!!

• Posted

hi ladies

how long are you keeping your foot elevated in bed does it have to be for six weeks , im feeling a little better today im going to the supermarket today as i am sick of online shopping and sitting on sofa

ann

• Posted

Hi Tami, I’m so glad you have found and joined our little party. In all seriousness, I’m so glad to have found you all to commiserate through this, because as Tami said, it is a journey. First, we are alone most of the time. Second, unless you’ve been through it, nobody understands. Yes, maybe our feet are throbbing like the first couple weeks, but doing anything little takes forever and a lot of strategy.  Tami, thanks for the Eucalypsis Epsom salts bath soak. I’m not there yet, but I will order online. I’ve also read mederma for the scar is good. It sound like you had quite the time with your first foot, more so then the average buniectomy. I can’t walk in my medical boot well until they take out the pin. It just feels like it stabs with every movement. What I am doing though is just standing for appt minutes in it. It really makes my back feel great to just stand. 

Ann, I’m also getting quite bored and fidgety. I’m only 2.5 weeks out, so am not ambulatory, but I have some online purchases that need to be returned, so I might have DH do that for me today while I ride along just go get out of the house for an hour. I’ll probably just sit in the car, but that’s ok. 

My foot does feel well enough most of the time, so I’ve started exercising on my mat. I’ve been using weights for my arms only.  I think I’ll start doing leg lifts, knee push ups, stretching....not sure what else. I don’t want to put a lot of strain on my back, so thinking of other leg movements to keep up muscle.....and it gives me something to do!

ann, how are you going grocery shopping? Are you able to walk in a boot? Are you going to use one of those scooters in the Store? You’ll probably not enjoy grocery shopping as much as you do today!

lulu

• Posted

Hello Lulu and everyone!   Hope everyone having a great day!   I too cannot wait until pin comes out and have heard usually pulls right out . I asked about pins at my appointment this past Friday as one to me looks curved but I was told they are ok . Pain is intermittent ; worse typically evenings and can feel,top,of foot swells.   The sitting recliner past few weeks , my spine feeling that as well.      This is a day by day process.    
    • Posted

Hi Tami- wow you had a lot of surgery to your foot 4 months ago and now to do your second foot .  Sounds like you are working hard at PT and recovering.     I need to see how I recover from this foot and then decide on correcting  my right foot .  Was thinking a year in between; will see .   Thanks for all your tips ; the info sharing frm everyone is so helpful . 
    • Posted

Do you see a post from me earlier today? It says it’s waiting to be moderated.
    • Posted

Hi all, well my long post from this morning may or may not disappear. Anyway, just acknowledging everyone’s posts since last night. My foot also feels achy and uncomfortable more in the evenings, as well as my back. I feel I am going to bed early just to lay flat. 

I can’t imagine doing both feet in a year. I want to wait to see how I feel about this one first. Is the pain completely gone in the soft tissues? I think I’d have to wait 2 years if I do the other one. The thought of doing this again just gives me shivers. 

Glad and to hear the pin might not be bad. Can’t wait to get it out so I can walk in my boot. 

• Posted

I had read that six months in between surgeries is good.  I do have 5 children still at home and they are "in the groove" of helping out so much since my first surgery and it is winter, so, I figured it was a good use of time to have to be set aside.  Also, I did find out that some people started having back and hip trouble after only having one foot done because of the imbalance.  My right foot is totally different in shape and size now that it has been repaired.  I had found it scary to try to walk again once the foot was fixed and back in a regular sneaker (that has a lot of cushion).  I found that I had to be really intentional about picking my foot up---my pt said it was a brain to nerves type thing and that the nerves had to repair and reconnect and reawaken.  So, when you all are out and about, be careful with yourselves and take your time.  Going this week to see if I need another splint or if I graduate to a cast-lol.  This is no easy surgery-it was easier to have a baby-but, I was told that this is genetic and would progressively only worsen.  So, no options, really.  So glad you guys are here because this is kind of a lot......

• Posted

Hi Ann!  Be careful as you go out---take it slow and steady.  I was told elevated for sure for the first two weeks.  I needed to have a lot of repair done--bones, muscles, tendons-so I was swollen for quite a while.  Even after I had the walking boot, I found that I had swelling---healing just takes a lot of time.  Try to elevate whenever you can---it even helps tremendously with pain.  Take good care of yourself!
    • Posted

Hi just saw this . .   Reading for awhile and then hoping to sleep.   
    • Posted

Totally agree on doing both within a year ; Tami raises valid points though . I just need to see how this goes .  I have periods no pain , certainly way better than second week but then ESP evening gets tight , various aching twinges, I think all normal.  My 4th toe all aggravated and no surgery to that but I think from all the swelling in general .  I am going to try get upstairs in my home tomorrow be really need to lay flat .    Have good rest of evening 
    • Posted

hi Tami- lots of surgery you have had and and I am going to be in same position with my two feet being really different .  I  have pins 2 and 3 toes and the bunion , severe was repaired. Can partially weight bear heel boot only with assist ; I use knee walker , crutch assist.  I admire you to do surgery with 5 children still at home . I put off this surgery for a long time and finally was suggested not to wait anymore to continue to worsen,  I have one teenager at home and my two nineteen year old twins recently back to college. I too chose now for surgery to recover during  winter months.  My goal was to improve , stabilize and be able wear shoes easier , pain walking with toe was a problem ;  my fear is coming out worse than I went in by despite all my symptoms active person.   I was not in constant pain prior and would not wish anyone with this surgery to go backwards once recovery is done .  When you did your right foot, how long until you could drive ?   I did left foot first as was worse but also wanted to see how I did before doing other one .  Can already see how careful need to be with balance .   Wishing you and everyone continued healing 
    • Posted

hi everyone

i went to the supermarket in my heel walking only shoe it took ages to shop but leant on the trolley for suuport i managed it but was so tired when i got back i fell asleep fot a while with my foot raised really high its ok this morning just feels stiff hope youvall are ok

ann

• Posted

Good morning everyone! Glad you got out for a little while Ann, but sorry it was so tiring. 

I am up this morning trying not to look at the long day ahead and get discouraged. I can’t walk in my boot because of the pin, but I can sit down with it and bear weight. I might try going into our office and doing some paper work on the computer, just to do something mental. I’m just counting down the days until the pin comes out and then can be more ambulatory in my air cast boot.  10 days and counting down.  

The nurse to,d me that they like patients to walk in the boot as we forget how to walk. So that is definitely in line with what Tami’s physical therapist telling her about nerves refiring and learning how to walk. Ugh. I hope it doesn’t take long. My doc said something about not having to go to physical therapy, but I to,do him that everyone I’ve spoken to says to do it, I’m planning on it! Why not?  I will have met my deductible, too. He’s been so awful with communicating, I’d rather be with someone who is going to really help me get back on track. Not he, who whizzes in for 10 minutes, then runs out again. 

Did anyone have problems walking in a medical boot with pins? They feel like they are stabbing me when I do.

• Posted

hi lulu

i since having my surgery i have only seen the nurse who took off my bandage at 10 days do not surgeon till 7 and a half weeks after my surgery but going to see p t on 7 th feb not much communication was just given discharge sheet and follow up appiontments cant wait to see surgeon to know all is well

regards

• Posted

Hi Helen!  Honestly, I have not driven since before I had my first surgery.  PT was a LOT of work and my foot was stiff for quite a while.  I just did not feel comfortable driving and it is winter and icy here.  I will drive again when I get this foot back and working well--probably in April.  Yes, absolutely, be careful as it takes about 6 mos for the foot to recover.  Oh, your foot will be much better!  No worries!!!  My right seemed worse, so I had that one done first.  All my hardware is permanent, at least for a while, for sure!  Walking my foot all the way through heel up through the toes was really difficult at first and took a while to get used to. I did find out that my feet were so bad that I was hardly even using my toes because of how mishapened my feet were and I had lost my arches.  A lot of the pt is spent working on using toes again (waking them up) and getting used to having an arch again.  No wonder I was in so much pain.  But, all the work will be worth it come summertime.  I am going back to my surgeon this week--we will see how things are.  Right now, I am on crutches for getting to the bathroom, but, I have lost my balance a couple of times.  So, hopefully, my foot is ok.  The color of the toes I can see is good and I only have the normal pain but it is worse at night, which someone had mentioned on this post, so I am hoping I am all good.  Take care of yourselves, ladies and be careful!  Oh, Lulu had mentioned the epsom salts---I had found the eucalyptis ones at Walgreens.  Also, once I was in the boot the first time and all the prescription meds were finished, I was ok to take extra strength tylenol. 
    • Posted

Hi Ann!  You took on a lot---take good care of yourself.  Maybe you could try some circles at your ankle and front to back (toward your knee and the floor) with your foot.  Also, try doing the alphabet moving your foot only at the ankle (not your whole leg).  Those should help the stiffness go away, as long as your doctor says it is ok, of course.
    • Posted

hi ladies

just a quick question my big toe and second toe are still far apart is this normal

regards ann

• Posted

Hi Ann-  hard to know on that; my big toe seems to want I lean to second toe, the surgeon wanted it taped to pull outwards a bit when they did last bandage change and then several,times a day I am to bend it forward and back . Cannot move second and third toes due to pins.  I would consider calling and asking if you are noticing this and your next appt is a bit away.   
    • Posted

hi Tami and everyone !!  your Honest feedback, very helpful and can see stages in this recovery.  I have hi Tami not walked normal for years so can see where that will take time .   I did do stairs once today , going down was ok, really felt it going up and now know I can only do limited , tons of pressure forefoot . Icing and elevating .    I use crutches for balance , start back to work Friday , part time, work from home only and will do one day at a time .  My second per diem position ,  is on hold for awhile as that involves lots walking. Nighttime is worse for sure.   Tami,    Once your pin out I will be right behind you , counting the days too,   winter and snowy here , too.  Wishing all a nice evening smile 
    • Posted

hi Ann, glad you were able to the store , it is a lot though , the first 6 to 8 weeks really are a cure healing then all the continued rehab, soft tissue healing , it is all stages .    
    • Posted

hi helen

tomorro will be 4 weeks since op and it feels slightly better but im so bored still a bit tightness in my toe tried on a pair ofvtrainer shoes and walked a little in the house it felt ok but took it slowly only for10 mins tho how are you doing and everyone else

regards ann

• Posted

Hi Ann, lucky you being able to put on a trainer! You’ll have to let us know how it goes this week. Yesterday was 3 weeks since my operation, but I’m still on the knee scooter. The pin is just too painful when I try to walk in my air cast boot. It comes out in 1 week from today, so I’m counting down. 

I have bedn been doing my toe pulls religiously at the joint each day. It was extremely painful at first, but now I can really stretch it fairly pain free. 

Were you in a boot before the trainers? If so, how often were you in it each day?

The boredom is bad. I’m typically up at 5:30, DH leaves at 6:00 and I wonder how I’m going to fill the next 12 hours.

but I’ve started doing leg exercises, yoga stretches arm weights. I can’t wait until I’m in a trainer, did you have to get a larger size or width of shoe?

lulu

• Posted

hi lulu

it must be awful to have a pin sticking out of your foot the trainers are my daughters she bought them when she was pregnant as her feet got really swolken they are the next size up from my shoe size they are called converse trainers apparantly really comfortable i will wear them tomorro to go outside as i have to pick my grandson up from nursery so i hope i manage ok i will let you all know how it goes

ann

• Posted

i was in a stiff sole wedge shoe very cummbersome to walk with
    • Posted

Thanks Ann. My apologies if I’ve asked some questions before. I’m assuming you are still doing those toe pulls back and forth? Have you done PT, or just doing it yourself? 

When end you walk in your trainer, what part of your foot hurts? I’m thinking I will be scared to just put my full weight on it.

lulu

• Posted

hi i see my pt on wed 7th feb he said he is going to help me walk properly when im in trainer im not sure if im walking properly but i can get by to do what i need to i am moving my toe myself for short periods just back and forth i wasxscared to put weight on foot but not that bad i hope its ok for me the surgeon said i could walk after 4 weeks

ann

• Posted

Everything I’ve read on the internet and other people I’ve spoken to say that PT is a must. They can get you in better shape faster.  When I mentioned it to my doc, he was like “if you really want to” attitude. I found that odd, since why wouldn’t anybody want to. It can only help. Then I read where some docs with big egos feel like it’s an insult to their work. I don’t know if that’s true, but I find it silly. However, my doc sort of had that attitude. Too bad...he can just write me the prescription! 
    • Posted

Hi Everyone!  Went to my appointment yesterday---in a heavy, plaster cast now for five weeks.  You guys were talking about the space between the toes--when I had my first foot done, once a had the sutures removed, he put a rubber spacer between my big toe and first toe.  I do not have a spacer with this foot.  I truly do not know how people would be able to get back to a normal life without pt--it was a godsend for me.  Even now, I have exercises for my right foot.  I have a question for you guys---has any of you tried a foot bath therapy---like the ones sold at Walmart.  If so, what did you think?  Thanks to you all and be careful.  Ugh--long course here and it takes a lot of energy just getting to the bathroom..  Sooo looking forward to spring!!!!
    • Posted

uuhg the pin the dr said he would count to 3 and pull it out

?He got to 2 and yanked it out.. It wasn't soo bad I guess

?as for the walking boot 

?IM STILL WEARING IT the pin came out 3 weeks ago and it still hurts to put in a shoe

I am still elevating when I can too.. 

?I see the dr again on the 22nd. I'm really hoping to walk in there with matching shoes

?we will also be discussing when we are doing my next foot

?Living the dream  get it done before the summer

• Posted

Good luck Tami, I know it must feel a bit disheartening to hear 5 weeks. But, we’re hear for you to vent anytime! I’m glad the PT went well, I’m looking forward to starting that. I really feel like I’m behind the 8 ball, with the pin in my foot.

Cathy, thanks for the response. I just hope taking out the pin is fast. I thought the stitches being taken out lasted forever and was painful at the end,  I’m a little disappointed hesr8ng you are still in the boot after 3 weeks post pin. Why is that? Is your foot too swollen? Where does it hurt when you try to bear down...is that the problem?

have you started PT yet?  My pin looks exactly like the picture you posted.

lulu

• Posted

hi tami what does the pin look like sticking out your foot that must be gross

ann

• Posted

Ann, Cathy put her pictures up in some prior posts...you can scroll up.
    • Posted

hi all

well i went out in my trainers to pick up my grandso it wasnt too bad i walked very slowly and kind of limped but i got the bus there and back but i was getting used to the trainer and mangaging ok by the time i got home but was tired so i put my surigal shoe back on and put my foot up but it felt ok i reckon i could do an hour or so a day i will see wht pt sats on wednesday

• Posted

My dr hasn't said anything about pt.. I wasn't aware I would be getting any... 

?the side of my foot where the pin was is where its tender,  definitely to tight for a shoe... And the toe beside my big tow is irritated too.. I walk around with out the boot on in the house, but to go out I still wear the boot or hubbys slip on slippers  LOL 

?I'm going to go buy a wide shoe from Walmart and hopefully get into a matching pair this weekend

?Yea the pin coming out was quick.. I didn't swear but I did say real loud as/after its coming out to the dr

?YYYOuuuuRRR  Freeeaaakin  REDdiculous! LOL He lol and told me he loved having me as a patient.. I'm always cracking a joke, laughing or smilng.. He asked if I would recommend the surgery to others.. I said the first 2 weeks HELL but other than that, I cant wait to be walking with no pain

?Soo yea I recommend it>

• Posted

That’s hilarious! Well, I don’t think my doc would have brought up PT either if I hadn’t. But I had a coworker who had both feet done and she told me she didn’t go, and now she wishes she had. Her advice was to do it. Plus, I read on the internet how valuable it is. I’d tell your doctor you would like him to write you a prescription for sessions. It can only help.

At least you can walk around barefoot, that’s something!

• Posted

hi ladies

why do most of tou have the pin sticking out we have a screw or pin inside the foot it must be most uncomfortable for you why do they do it lime that

ann

• Posted

The pin is just temporary. I assumed the internal screws and pins are permanent? I think it all depends on the procedure and what needed to be done to the bones.
    • Posted

yes the dr did tell me that there is still hardware in my foot.. good to know for traveling

​Hhowever when I was in having my surgery there was a lady having her hardware removed.. I guess she had it done years ago and the hardware was bothering her, so they were going in to remove it

I guess time will tell

• Posted

hi

i wonder why dr in u s do it different from uk i dont know anyone in uk had pins sticking out im sure there must be reasons for surgeons to do what they do

we have an nhs service which means we do not pay for our treatment but our docs are really good i had a procedure called scarf and akin with bilateral release im not sure what that would be called in usa

• Posted

also feel luke i have put on a few pounds sitting all day lol
    • Posted

Depending on the surgery and what needs to be done, doctors in the u.s. also leave screws and pins in. 

I wasn’t that hungry the first couple weeks, but my appetite is picking up. I’m making a concerted effort to try to not overeat. Not to much of a problem, as my DH won’t keep the fridge stocked the way I like! Haha. 

• Posted

yea thats why i went with dh to supermarket lol
    • Posted

Hi Tami and everyone, hope you are feeling ok with the cast!  Certainly hstagesbof recovery with this type surgery ! I am at 3.5 weeks , went back to work , from home office today and tough, tried to elevate but was no where near enough , swelling, tingling, numb like  , took a long nap , iced and elevated since and have not left the recliner .  Realizing will be small steps of recovery.   Cannot wait to get rid is the sutures and pins.   Thinking when closer to 6 weeks can do more , at this stage really needs elevation .   Will pursue PT once can do that .       Hope everyone had a good day.  ! 
    • Posted

I have three permanent pins in each foot and they are staying there unless they cause me a LOT of trouble.  Yes!  Recovery is small steps at a time, for sure---it is SO tiring!!!  I could not have progressed so well without pt- just so you all are aware, it was a lot of work.  I still have some pain meds for nighttime.   I did order a foot spa for my uncasted foot.  I think it is just achy from only being 4 mos out from surgery and having to use it primarily because the other one is casted.  Two done in a short time is a lot but it would be much worse any other way.  One step at a time, ladies!  Thank you---have a fun superbowl weekend!!!
    • Posted

i do not know how you could get two feet done at such a short space between but good luck to you

ann

• Posted

Hi Ann! 

Yes, I had the second done about 3 1/2 months after the first.  I had waited too long to have this done in the first place and I was in a lot of pain.  It is winter and I am not really missing anything. the kids are mostly home to help and I could not drive yet anyway after the first one was done, so it made sense, even though it is a lot of effort.  Looking forward to wearing comfy sneakers, for sure!!!!

• Posted

Helen,  Take good care of yourself---recovery takes a bit of time.  Take it slow and hang in there!
    • Posted

Thank - you, today a nice quiet day , did not do much !  Your insight has helped as at some point I will need to correct right foot problems , for now  - one step at a time .  Enjoy weekend 
    • Posted

Hi Ann-  hope you are having a good weekend and recovery progressing !  I have internal pins for bunion part that stay unless a problem.  The pins that stick out are on second and third toe that needed realignment and correction ; the third toe had been dislocated and out alignment for several years ; walking distances and the hammertoe , shoes becoming regular issue so did the surgery; actually I probably should of done surgery years back . Pain was only intermittent but very regular.  I hope with this and recovery it puts me to a better place and that plus alignment my main goals.   
    • Posted

I like your idea of foot spa!   The "good ankle foot" does a lot of work while other one is healing for sure 

• Posted

hi ladies

not feeling great today just think this foot is never going to be normal its still stiff and swollen esp in the mornings getting fed up now

ann

• Posted

Good Morning Ann and everyone!  Ann, does your stiffness decrease as the day wears on? I’m also amazed you had the other done at 3.5 months later. I understand your reasoning though....just get it over with so you don’t have to dread doing it again in a year or so...get all the misery over with in one year. I’m sure the swelling in the mornings is normal for you. Do you wear a bandage at night? If not, that might help.

i found these YouTube blogs by a women who had this done last May and I’ve followed her progress. It’s Life With London. It’s the one YouTube that I’ve enjoyed the most. She does one from day of surgery, then every month or so.  She wraps her foot at night for swelling. 

one thing I just noticed this weekend and it really grossed me out. The atrophy in my calf muscle. It’s like I have no calf muscle and the skin is just hanging there. It’s been 3.5 weeks since my surgery and since I can’t even wear my boot yet, I haven’t been getting any calf exercise. So, I started yesterday just flexing my foot back and forth to work several times a day.  Hopefully when the pin is out Thursday I can start walking with my boot.

• Posted

hi lulu

i have only had one foot done iam not brave enough to get two done i will try and find the video on you tube thanks my stiffness does seem to decrease during the day

ann

• Posted

Oh, sorry. It was Tami who had it done. I’m also not brave enough to even entertain the thought of doing the 2nd yet. I’m going to see if the pain I initially went in for is gone before I even consider it.  He had mentioned 2 years anyway, as the other foot is just a regular mild bunion. 

I think if I even brought that up to DH right now, he’d leave me...haha.

• Posted

Good luck Thursday with pin removal, you will then be to next stage of recovery!  My muscles are also feeling the inactivity for sure .   
    • Posted

Thanks Helen! I was just thinking, “one more day, yeah!”  I’m really hoping I can start getting around a bit. I’ll be interested in how much they say I can be up while in my boot. 3 weeks ago they said just an hour a day, increasing an hour each week...but that was just 1 week post surgery. I’m hoping they say more since my foot feels much better after this much time.

it will be so nice to just do things standing up. It takes so darn long to put that big bulky think on though. I’ll think I’ll still use my knee scooter when I have to use the restroom..haha!

How are you doing?  The boredom is getting to me a little. I feel a bit like a prisoner in my own FR.

• Posted

hi ladies

im off to physio today hope he can help my foot im doing a little better in my trainers lulu hope all goes well tomorro you will be able to get about better in your boot

• Posted

Ann, how was your physio? I am 4 weeks post op. Well, pin is out today!! It didn’t hurt at all, just a little pressure. It also feels wonderful to have all the bandages off, too. It is swollen, especially the ball of my foot. He said I could start walking in a trainer, if I can put my foot in it. He said some people start out in their boot fir a feeling of safety first. I can start using my exercise bike. 

My foot looks ugly, it’s cracked, especially where the stitches are. There’s one place that’s sore where the skin is peeling back, about the size of a pencil eraser head. I’m ready to gently wash my foot and put on a sock this morning.

i asked his about merderma cream and he said he really doesn’t think creams work for the scar, that massage does. I’d like to get opinions on that.

Not sure when I start therapy. I go back to see him in 3 weeks. Today is a good day!

• Posted

i mean where the stitches were!
    • Posted

hi lulu

physio went well he said it looks like its healing well happy with the walking but dont over do it isaid still some numbness in the big toe he reckons its takes a while for nerve damage to repair its self glad your pin is out how do you feel walking in a trainer the ball of my foot is swollen still a bit i dont think creams work much i have now put suocream on mine it feels ok with that my scar feels tight so pleased your pin is out lets know how tou find walking

ann

• Posted

what kind of surgery did you have i had a scarf and akin with bilateral release
    • Posted

Hi Ann, glad your physio went well. To be honest, I don’t know what type of surgery. I had a mild bunion that was also pushing up and a bone spur. Did you buy a bigger trainer?  I tried putting my foot in mine and it’s a no go. I already have a big foot...size 10. I used to be a medium, but a few years back started wearing a wide width, probably due to the bunions.

i hate spending a lot of money on shoes I won’t wear for the long term, but would like something a little decent looking when I can start wearing them. I wonder how long this initial swelling will last. I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and order some double wide widths. 

• Posted

Hi Lulu, Ann   Tami and all recovering !   so glad the pin is out Lulu, can now start next stage of recovery,   Exercise bike is good,  hoping I can do that soon .    I did get out today to go get my hair done , drove myself as my surgery was left foot.  Exhausted now as work to get around but was good to do that .    Good luck with shoes;  hard to find things due to swelling .  Ann hope PT went well.     I have appt tomorrow , anxious to see where I am at with this .    Have a good rest of your day !   
    • Posted

Hi Helen, check back in with us tomorrow and let us know i it went. I think I’m going to go ahead and order big shoes. I may be In them on and off the next few months, so would like something sort of nice to wear. I’m thinking black with white soles to wear with skinny black jeans and colorful tops to get through winter! I can’t wait to go out! I get my hair cut and colored next Friday. I can’t wait, it will be 6 weeks until then. I actually am cooking today standing up, it feels sooooooo good not trying to navigate around in the kitchen on the scooter!  And walking to the restroom without going down on one leg is awesome!  Haha!
    • Posted

hi ladies

lulu how are you finding walking i have a bigger size trainer it helps alot im getting better with walking i think i still have a stitch in my toe it has not dissolved how long do they take to dissolve the rest have thats what is making my toe tight

ann

• Posted

Hi Ann, My stitches were not disolveable, they took them out at 2 weeks. However, it feels really tight all around the incision. The skin where the stitches were are purple. I’m not sure if that’s bruising or dye, as the stitches themselves looked purple. The skin there looks like it’s wantjng to peel off, but is thick so it can’t yet. I think I’m going to put some neosporin in it. My doc is terrible was post op care. He put some ointment on the hole when he pulled out the pin, then put a bandaid on it. I changed the band aid and noticed the wound, seems to me that would get infected, so I guess I’ll put neosporin on that, too.
    • Posted

Hi! My apologies for late response,  I was so exhausted after yesterday , fell asleep then watched Olympics.  Worked today from home . I had a good appointment ; sutures out and steri strips now ; area was rewrapped so cannot wash area,yet. The pin is ok and right under it so swollen and that making it appear pin is off , once the third toe pin comes out the,toe,will go back up and 4th toe will align. They put piece behind my foot with a wrap around fourth toe that pulls into alignment .  Looks so much better compared to two weeks ago . i am so tired of yoga pants ,  lol wishing for my skinny jeans .  Do not think can get over this foot .    So glad for you standing up and navigating around .  I had my hair done fhe other day and so so good to get out and feel sunshine even though was cold .    Hmmmmm in shoes,   Will see what happens on that front , I have heard many sketchers work .     I have two more weeks until pins out ! Cannot wait .  Such a journey for sure ,     Talk soon and glad to hear recovery going 
    • Posted

can you get your foot totally wet now . It takes ajilwmformthat skin to heal .   I noticed incisions very tender and next tomincisions numb like , that should get better with time . 
    • Posted

Helen, it seems every time they do something positive, it’s uplifting. You really had a lot done.  I had to laugh about your yoga pants, as I’ve been wearing the same 3 pairs of sweatpants and only certain tops. I can’t wsit to wear my clothing, also. The doctor said is takes 7 weeks for the bones to completely knit together, so I’m not allowed to walk barefoot. However, I can get my foot wet now. So I finally took a shower, standing up, with my surgical boot and the shower thingy over it. That felt wonderful.  I just wash my foot afterwards, sitting down. I go to the stylist Friday, I can’t wsit!

i think I might venture out to the grocery store today in my boot, with Hubble. I don’t have much to get, and it will feel,good to get out. I can’t believe I’m actually looking forward to THAT! Haha. I was so bored yesterday, I was going bonkers about 3 or 4. It felt good to ride the exercise bike! Can’t believe I’m enjoying that now, too!

• Posted

hi ladies

i had a day out yesterday foot a bit achey today hope i didnt over do it i was so bored last week it was making me miserable but a bit better now i am going to try and have a go at driving later today hubby will be with me hope i can do it i am back in my skinny jeans feels more human now

ann

• Posted

Hi Ann, glad you got out, it’s time to just put your foot up and rest. I’ve been taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen when I feel achy and it seems to help. That boredom is the worse. You’re tired of reading, you’re tired of watching TV.  You’re alone in the house! There have been a couple times I’ve just sat and looked out the window thinking....what do I do now??  I’m glad I can finally cook again, which I typically hate. All these mundane chores help break up the day...who would have ever thought! Can’t wait to put on my skinny jeans, like you all have. 
    • Posted

hi 

went for a little drive it felt weird at first but ok foot was not to bad. hopefully i will have a lot of company next week as  it half term here and my daughters will be taking me out to the shops with them .I need to buy some boots one size bigger so thats my mission next week .how do you do an exercise bike with the boot one.

• Posted

Hi Ann, I use my surgical boot that I went home from the surgery in. It’s hard bottom and Velcro’s close. I went grocery shopping today a little. Put on skinny jeans, but didn’t feel as skinny as I wanted....so I walked by all the candy and Cookies!  Not easy!  That will be so strange to finally drive, so good you did it! My college kid isn’t home for another month...would have been great to have him here now.,
    • Posted

hi all

hows everyone doing i going to the doctors on thursday i will need another sick note as there is no way im ready for work i just wonder how long am i going to be like this is there any light at the end of this tunnel i sometimes think why did i do this hope it improves soon its taking such a long time mind im only 5 and half weeks in

• Posted

Good Morning, 

Ann, I can’t imagine anyone going to work after just 5 weeks. Thankfully, I’m not working right now, but sit when I work. There is no way I could do that. After just 30 minutes of siting my foot hurts and feels like it’s getting bigger and bigger. I don’t know how people go back to work after a month, especially if they have to stand.

yes, get that note. Do you get it for just for specific periods of time? Sorry you have to stress about that, along with just healing.

i will be 5 weeks tomorrow. The foot is still really swollen, but I can actually see it going down, which is encouraging. The bill of my foot is so hard and big, it hurts to walk in my surgical shoe after awhile, so I’ll put on my boot to do longer chores when I’m up.

I know this is a slow process, but it’s hard to wait. I think this stage...week 4 to 8, takes a lot of patience. We are feeling better, more energy, can get around somewhat ....but not there yet. Weeks and weeks of sitting really takes its toll. I think week 8 must be a real turning point for the majority....at least that’s what I’m hoping. 

• Posted

hi

went to the doctors this morning and i am off work for another 6 weeks which i think i will need she was very sympatheic about bunion surgery hope i am better by then see consultant on the 26th hope you all are feeling ok

• Posted

what a slow process this is
    • Posted

Yeah, Ann! I’m sure in 6 weeks you will feel 100 times better and ready to work. This must be such a relief for you. Look at how far you’ve come in 6 weeks from the actual surgery!

i should be getting my huge trainers today in the mail. Hopefully they will fit. My foot is still swollen of course, much better than a week ago though. The scar, wounds from stitches and ho,e from screw are healing very nicely. I’ve been keeping Vaseline interspersed with neosporin. I think the combo really helps. My foot is now really peeling a lot, it’s so gross when it does that. But at least it’s getting rid of old built up calluses! Ha! 

I think im going to attempt to drive next week, which will be 6 weeks. PT starts Monday. Boredom is getting to me.

• Posted

hi hope your trainers came i think i will be alot better in 6weeks we all will my skin on scar is peeling its yuk hope your driving goes ok and P T my foot still swollen not as much lets know how things go
    • Posted

How is everyone? I drove Today? How freeing that is now! I’m finding I can do more, but if I overdue...even just sitting with my leg down, it will swell up. The scar and stitch wounds are healing nicely. But the skin around it feels so hard. Is anyone else’s like that? I’m patiently awaiting for my xtra wide sneakers to come in! Had my hair cut and colored Friday...what a nice boost. Trying to start wearing my contacts again to get used to them after 6 weeks. I can’t read anymore without glasses, so end up taking them off after a few hours. I think I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel...even if it’s only a little one.
    • Posted

Hi everyone

so pleased you were able to drive was it in a trainer or your boot,the skin on my scar was hard but has softend alot now after loads of baths its healing fine foot stills swells when down alot went out for lunch yesterday and was out for a few hours and it was swollen when i came back in i am off work for another six weeks has anyone went back yet.i put my contacts in last week it make you feel a human again,i need my hair done but will wait a couple more weeks hows the boredom going im trying to do a few more jobs in the house but get side tracked by wacthing daytime t v  ha i am seeing my consultant next monday hope he says all is ok still walking with  a slight limp hope this gets better

• Posted

Hi Ann, drove with an old athleisure shoe I had, Mary Jane style. It’s ugly and looks like something my grandma would wear. I can’t even remember why I bought it..haha. I’m glad I didn’t get rid of it though, while I’m waiting for my trainer to arrive.  I’m looking forward to to PT today, as I walk with a limo and no,d my foot oddly. Part of it is the ball is still swollen and hurts, so I know I’m not bearing full force on it, therefore a very poor gait.  I think I’m going to buy some generic scar gel. My scar and wounds are coming along, but might as well do everything to make that scar as invisible as I can. I will be 6 weeks post op Wednesday, how far along are you? I’m finding that I’m feeling much better and watching more TV! I think the discomfort made my attention span low, so couldn’t concentrate. I mostly was just on my iPad. I don’t work FT anymore, so just waiting until I’m healed enough to start looking for contract work again. Glad things are coming along with you! Really enjoy the next 6 weeks now that you feel better!
    • Posted

Hi lulu

i will be six weeks and four days tomorro yea the ball of my foot is slightly swollen and i find it a bit uncomfortable to weight bear also my second toe seems to be to close to my third toe it feels strange will ask about that when i see consultant hope your p t goes well lets know what he majes you do

• Posted

Had my PT yesterday. I’m to go for 6 weeks, 3x/ wk first two weeks, then 2x/wk fir the remainder. Besides the big toe pull and push, he had me scrunch up a towel with my toes. 15 times, 2 reps. Hold for 5 seconds. Then sitting with both feet on the floor, push up on all my toes, leaving ball of foot on floor...both feet. Then put the foot on a towel and move it back and forth without moving the knee. I have to hold my knee to remember. He spent about 15 minutes doing some ultralight therapy on my scar and surrounding skin, massaging the foot for fluid and also using some metal thing, going over the entire foot. They put on bandage strips for lymphatic drainage. I was there 30 minutes. They said the rest would be an hour, so curious as to what comes next. I go again tomorrow.
    • Posted

hi lulu

wow your p t sounds really good mine is nothing like that i just have to go once a month the pad of my foot still does not feel right not sure if its just still swollen but i feel im not putting my full weight on it not sure if i should be yet enjoy your p t

• Posted

Maybe you can do these exercises that I’m writing down. Each of them are 15 times, 2 reps. When you scrunch your toes, try to scrunch the towel a little so it gives the toes something to hang on, don’t lay it flat. I will continue to give you other exercises they tell me to do if it helps you? Gives you something to do each day, you have to do them twice a day. Also, continue to do the big toe pull and push. He recommends 3 times a day.  Pull at the joint for 30 seconds, then push back 30 seconds. Do 3 reps.
    • Posted

yea i will give them a try how did it go today thanks
    • Posted

Therapist spent 30 minutes just working on my foot. The metal is to work on soft tissues all over  and the scar area itself, instead of using his thumbs. He said it saves his thumbs. Then he does use his hands to massage the foot. I think that is worth the price of the therapy on its own...LOL!

He had me do the same exercises, no new ones. So, I guess the money was really just for the foot work. Also, on the toe scrunch exercises, you first are to lift the toes up and stretch them out wide, then scrunch the towel. 

• Posted

hi

hows it going my big tie still quite stiff not walking properly how is everyone else getting on are you all walking ok

ann

• Posted

I have a lot of swelling. I just got my trainer today. I still walk with a limp at 6 weeks. I’ve been trying to pay attention to how my good foot moves and mimic it. I don’t know when that will improve. I’m assuming with the swelling goes down, especially the ball of my foot.
    • Posted

hi

went to see consultant today had an xray he said all looked ok discharged me but told him still limping and he said it would just take time for everything to settle down going to physio on friday he might help to get me walking better but just think it going to take time how are you

• Posted

Hi there, things are better. My foot was really swollen Friday, so the PT spent the time wrapping my foot, ankle and legs really tight in a leather strap. Then he took it off and massage the fluid pretty hard up my leg. He did that twice. It made a big difference and I was much more comfortable over the weekend. The area around the incision is very tender and makes it a little difficult to walk as I want to put weight on the other edge. I’m walking better, but still a slight limp. We won’t start on my gait until probably next week. Does the area around your incision hurt. He said it’s new skin and the nerves refiring which makes the area hypersensitive. He said to start rubbing the area lightly with a cotton ball fir a few days, then work my way up with more rough things.  Jean material, and at some point a brush. Well will see.
    • Posted

hi lulu

just wondering how you doing im not to bad getting there but my walking is still not back to normal still got a slight limp hope you are better

ann

• Posted

Hi Ann, I’m glad you seem to be getting along. It seems I improve a little each day. Nothing spectacular, just things like seeing my veins or bones where bad swelling has been. Walking is better, although I also have a limp. I really think it’s the padding on the bottom of our feet that is swollen. The incision area is sore to the touch, is your? I find I need to put my feet up during the day. How much longer until you go back to work?
    • Posted

I’m just wondering what kind of shoes you found comfort in? I had my severe bunion done on Feb 20th. Today I’m depressed with suddenly going backwards in pain. I think I did too much yesterday... it was my first day back and I had a LOT to do! I’m in a Velcro shoe from surgery and using a knee scooter for five weeks with NO walking on the right foot I was told. 

Im wondering what the heck kind of shoe I will be able to get into that will be comfortable? I’ve only really worn Toms and those sort of shoes for years now because of the bunion. I’m hoping you or anyone can suggest shoes that work? 

I’d appreciate any help. It’s all very frustrating to me! thanks!!

• Posted

Hello Dona, how were you able to go out after just 2 weeks post op? I was told to be off my feet almost 24/7 for awhile, unless I was in a surgical air cast boot. Even then, no more than an hour or two a day. Are you talking about shoes to wear post op while your foot is still swollen? You will have to probably buy wide or extra wide trainers for awhile. I wouldn’t spend too much money, as you probably won’t wesr them again when your foot heals. I couldn’t wear any sneaker. I ended up having to purchase a Propet travel shoe. Many people wear sketchers. I found I needed footwear where the top of it was looser and wouldn’t rub the top. It’s been trial and error since you can’t wslk into a store and just order wide or extra wide. Good luck and stay off your foot as much as possible, keep,it elevated.
    • Posted

hi lulu

im not back to work until after easter break my scar is tender and the oad of my fiot hurts i would walk better if this did not hurt dont understand why it hurts glad you are getting a bit better im so bored now tho and good luck to the other ladies on here it a slow process indeed

ann

• Posted

Dona,

You may get 2 replies, since the one I wrote yesterday is still being moderated...I am not sure if that is random, or what.

I had my surgery on my second foot the day before you, February 19th. I kept a blog last year, and when I went back and looked at it, I see that the first time I was wearing a shoe was at 10 weeks.

First, a good support tennis shoe--partially laced; then, slip-on shoes with a small heel (½ to 1" ), which did not cover the top of my foot; then, good support sandals. I was not able to wear shoes without support, like flip-flops at all, and I gradually worked into shoes with higher heels.

• Posted

Hi ladies!  Please keep me in your prayers today.  Seeing Dr for my 6wk post op appointment.  PT ROM @ home has been going well and foot swelling is down to a minimum for most of the days.  I've had a minor setback w clearly spitting stitches 😬 in the middle of incision last week.  Have any of you experienced that?  I'm hoping it'll be a quick & painless fix @ today's appt w no further time added to my recovery.  Worst case scenario could be 2 addtl weeks.  Also hope to get the green light or an actual date as to when I can drive again, be out of air cast boot once and for all, and begin scar treatment.  

Planning to bring my Astral Trek 1 shoes (0mm to to heal drop w wide toe box) with me in case Dr releases me from the air cast.  Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'd rather be prepared. 😊 BTW, Topo Athletics shoes seem to be another good recommendation.  Just ordered a pair from REI.  For many reasons, I've never been a fan of Sketchers.

Anywho, this site has been such a big help and blessing thus far in my recovery journey.  So thanks to all of you who've contributed here and there.  I've had my share of low/depressing/discouraging moments, but it's comforting to know I'm not alone. 😌😊  

I think one of the highlights of this recovery (aside from progress) has been getting to check off a bucket list item.  At 3wks post op, went to Target and got to drive around the store in one of the motorized  scooters w my crutches in tow!!! 😆🤣  Lol.  Will try to attach a photo.  Hubby couldn't keep up! 😂  I was tickled pink as I've always wanted to do that!!  Girl's gotta get out and have some kind of fun somehow aside from retail therapy online. 😉😇  I'm really itching to get back to normalcy already as I'm sure many of you are.

Will keep you posted on how things go today.  Blessings to y'all in the meantime! 🙌🏼

• Posted

hi

my stitches split after 3 days spent 4 hours in a and e they re done bandages but scar healed fine im 8 and half weeks post op good luck on your app im sure itvwill be fine

ann

• Posted

Hi Ladies,

​Does anyone else have problems putting posts on this site? I have attempted about 5 times and towards the end of writing it disappears! So unable to share my experience I would just like to thank you all for the advice, support and information not given by the medical team. Kind regards,

Janet (in England).

This operation is so difficult to recover from mentally more than physically.

• Posted

I forgot and such kindness and compassion. Thank you again, Janet
    • Posted

hi janet

im on englang and we got this message so try again and tell us your experience

ann

• Posted

Hi Janet, I see 3 messages. I haven’t had the trouble you have had in posting. Once it was in waiting form to be posted. The boredom is rough that first month. Once you can drive and get up a bit, it’s better. I find I’m very lonely and need to find some more contract work. Staying home all day alone is not good for the spirits. Breakfast and lunches a few times a week with friends just doesnt do it...I need to have a busy life to be happy. I’m an empty nester now. 
    • Posted

Thanks so much Lulu! Looks like one of your posts got deleted. Maybe we aren’t supposed to  mention brand names? Which of course is what I was asking for so I apologize. I have a feeling I too will also need something without much tightness on top. I am not able to drive for several weeks of course. I was told I could go into work if I felt good enough and that day I actually felt great. I simply over did it and it’s my own fault.  When I do get good shoes for when I am able to walk on it they are sure expensive!? I don’t mind spending it as long as I know they will really work. But I know that my foot is going to change sizes over the next year so I wasn’t looking to spend a lot but when the time comes closer I will really look into them. I wish they only sold one shoe in a different size :-) I do need to keep it elevated more. I’ve started back to my “immediately after surgery” regime.
    • Posted

Ok, good so we are in the same timeline! And this is the second go around for out. So smart to have kept a blog! I will for sure check out the tennis shoes when the time gets closer. I really appreciate the help! 
    • Posted

I hope it went well! I missed if you said you had a scooter at home? I have one and I can get pretty fast on it when I need to. Lol. I asked my husband to put a horn on it but he declined, he DID put a cup holder on it, and that is VERY helpful! 

• Posted

One of my posts got deleted, too. I read the terms, and I did not see any rules that I had broken. I was merely trying to tell you-all about my personal blog, if anyone wanted to read more info/experiences -- no spam or advertising, which is what is not allowed.

I have had a LOT of pain this week since I went to the doctor on Monday. Mostly, during and after exercising my toes, feet, and ankles. I pushed myself anyway, and today, I finally feel as though I am reaching a breakthrough, and my pain is starting to subside! biggrin

• Posted

Thank you Dona & Ann, and the rest of y'all! 😁  

My 6-week post op appt yesterday went better than expected!  Doctor addressed what I thought was going to be a setback last week w spitting stitches (internal dissolvable stitches poking out) in the middle of my incision.😬😱  There were no infections (Yaaayyy!🙌🏼wink and he was able to remove these painlessly!😌  Should anymore pop up, he recommended I wait until they fall off or wait at least a week and then can pluck them out painlessly as he did in this visit w sterile tweezers.  

Furthermore, said I no longer need to be in the air cast boot and can now wear regular kicks w roomy toe box!!  I can dust off the 4-inch high heels in 3-6 months time, but recommended only wearing for 3 hours at a time if I do.  What photographer shoots in heels anyways?! 😏?? Haha!  

Also received the green light to drive again (woop-woop!!!)... just when my sweet & patient husband was getting used to chauffeuring me around. 😁😇  

Still need to continue range of motion exercises daily and he emphasized that I work more on the down position.  That's the most painful and hard position.  He advised also that I can gradually increase my activity level two weeks at a time as my foot gets used to walking and gently striking the ground directly again.  Swelling is expected still but will gradually diminish through 12 months.  

I also get to begin scar treatment immediately!  He recommended SicaTape - a type of silicone tape used for fading and flattening scars as mine appeared to be a little raised.  So I anxiously await my order to arrive by next week.  I just hope my scar lightens up and flattens.  Dr said scars usually stretch out and get dark before they get better.

I'm so stoked to be in regular shoes again!,,, at least those w wide toe box (Astral TR1 Trek).  They're wide enough to wear my Correct Toes inside w Injinji toe socks and they look decent for casual/outdoors.  Dr approved of them!  Thankfully, I brought my other pair w me to my appt and was able to walk out in those slowly and carefully!!  Hubby and I stayed in town (Nashville) for dinner to celebrate!!

Now back to getting this house back in order! 😳😆😊

Cheers to continuing smooth recovery!!!   It is possible!!  😁🙌🏼👊🏼

• Posted

Woops!  Sorry for the misspelling.  The scar treatment my Dr recommended for me is called CicaTape.  He said Mederma is good too.  I have the Mederma PM version.  He also approved of my use of essential oils that I've been using for massaging my feet and while doing PT ROM.  Being and orthopaedic surgeon and also specializing in wounds, he highly recommended the CicaTape for me as my scar looked a little raised than normal.

• Posted

Yahoo! super news! yes dust off those heels! I have NEVER been able to wear heals. I’ve had bunions since I was young. My poor daughter does as well. I don’t think she could handle this surgery though!! 

Sica tape?? ! I had my hubby google that. Stat!! my scar still has the the stri strips on it, but as soon as they are off, i will begin some kind of something to help. I don’t even really care about the scar, but with my other foot when I touch the scar now, it’s painful, and at times it almost feels like I have no feeling there. I tend to get keloids when I scar, so I think that happened. The nurse said to make sure to massage the scar area to get the scar tissue to begin to break up. So I will diligently be doing that! for sure I’ll look up getting some of that tape!! I was going to maybe try scar cream as well. Now I’m wondering if we can’t say brand names on here :-(. Hubby seems pretty pumped about the tape... seems drug store carries it. 

I notice the pushing down part on big toe is much harder than the pulling up. I’m doing it though! 

no no more pain pills for me. I can’t stand the way they make me feel. I’ll confinue to take the ibuproifn and do heat/ice and elevate it. I did few hours of work from home today. Went by very quickly! I had to make myself stop and go back to couch before I over did it again. 

So this has been 6 weeks for you and you are starting to walk! I can’t remember if this had cast ever or not?

i am am writing all of the suggestions on shoes and correct toes?? Never heard of those either! I’m so glad I found this group!  

• Posted

Hi Dona!  Good to see you're getting to work from home and squeezing in rest in between.  I tried to reply w my misspelling of the brand name of tape. The correct spelling is called CicaTape.  Found a nice size of it (5 yards long) that I could cut to the size I want, and it was only $16.95.  Bought two rolls and hope to get it soon.

Yes, I'm 6 wks post op (01/22/2018) Bunionectomy (Austin, 2 titanium screws, and had a bone spur shaved off the top of my foot).  So my scar is longer because of that, about 4 inches.  

Dr had my partial weight bearing in my heel only and in an air cast boot which I was able to take off whenever I had my foot up and elevated or whenever my feet felt hot and needed to breathe. smile But had to wear it at night also for the first 2wks.  

BTW, since we aren't allowed to post links in public posts, I sent you a private message containing the links to my playlist of the ROM YouTube videos as well as Kaiser's PDF to download or print.  Hope you get it successfully.

• Posted

Forgot to also mention that my Dr had me full weight bearing after 2wks, then at yesterday's 6wks appt had me off and out of the air cast boot.

Definitely wait until your steri-strips fall off and incision looks healthy and completely closed.  My Dr had me begin the ROM after 2wks but I wish I had waited a couple days until my steri strips fell off.  After doing each ROM my foot was swell big time and my incision looked like it was stretching out horizontally, even more so after being allowed to take baths.  So I would recommend waiting until your steri strips fall off and after you know your incision is healed and connected, and waiting for area to dry after possibly wetting it from showers/baths.

• Posted

I had my surgery 1/10, so 8 weeks post op. When the doc pulled my screw out at 4 weeks, I was finally able to walk. I was allowed to fully weight bear in my air cast boot after 10 days for a little. But I never could because it hurt too much with the screw, so I was on my knee scooter for a month. The last 4 weeks have been progressing nicely, I was diving at 5 weeks and started Physical Therapy 3 weeks ago. The exercises have helped immensely with my range of motion and flexibility. The massaging has helped the swelling. I find that us what hinders the most, the swelling at the ball of my foot. It keeps me from walking correctly and limp. The times that the swelling is down a lot, I walk almost normal. It’s back and forth, and I know this is how it is for awhile.

i have to be in a sneaker for 3 more weeks, then I can wear shoes. I wanted to laugh. I can’t even get my swollen foot in any of my regular sneakers comfortably, I can’t even imagine a shoe. Like I mentioned before the only shoe I found that was big enough in depth to not irritate the top of my foot was the Propet. I have ordered a regular slip on shoe that looks soft. I miss my cute booties and boots.  I don’t feel fashionable at all. Can’t wait until warm weather so I can wear cute sandals at least. I don’t plan on even trying any heels for another 3 or 4 months. 

This is a very slow process. 

• Posted

hi

i had my occupational health meeting yesterday about returning to work they said i would be phased back gradually 2 hours one week then 3 and 4 till i am doing my normal hours so that gives my plenty if time to see how i go but im not back for another 5 weeks after easter i am getting very frustrated with how i am still limping its my big toe and the ball of my foot that aches when i walk each morning i get up and think will i walk properly today its going to take a while i think

• Posted

Iris, today I’m finally feeling like I’m over the hurdle of doing too much work on Monday. So that’s a relief! I forgot how long this recovery period is... plus I’m older now. ;-) 
    • Posted

We found on online. There were a couple different ones... some a roll on and cream, but this tape that we leave on looks to be the wisest as it will be on all of the time. I use EO’s as well! I’d love to know what has helped you with the pain! I was just thinking about messaging my aromatherapist to see what suggests. I don’t need to know the brand, I use a brand that helped me most when I had Gastroparesis. Ya, that was another cluster! I had been hesitant to apply any because I still have the dissolvable stitches on. But I can put them on bottoms of feet! 

my scars are starting to look white around them. 

• Posted

Thanks loads! what hubby found was $30. Not sure of the amount, I will of course have to wait until the strips are off. Always trying to get ahead of myself! I’m also going to try it on my left foot, along with the exercises!  But not until this foot is completely healed! I can’t have two sore feet! 

Thanks for  the message, I’ll look at it soon! 

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I can’t begin to tell you how much reading your posts have helped me. Mine is a little different, it’s the other downside of this op when you live alone, your child lives and works 70 and 200 miles away and you try to be self-sufficient.   I had my op on 18th Jan, it was originally booked for 4th Jan, but just as I was due to go to the operating theatre at 9.00 the anaesthetist came in to see me ‘Mr ******?’ he said, ‘yes?’ was my reply, ‘he is skiing in Switzerland!’  Good start huh?  I went back two weeks later and, the Matron came to see me, ‘I’ve got some bad news’ ‘NOOOO!’ was my panicked reply, ‘we have forgotten to order your ‘kit’, ‘what kit?’  Eventually they rummaged in the tool box and found some nuts and bolts to use, just kidding they had to ring every hospital in the area till they found one. My op was put back from 9.00 till 11.30, but at least it was done. My recovery period consisted of power cuts, my puppy pulling the wadding out of my bandage whilst I was asleep and having to have it re-dressed, him managing to get an eyelash tint tube, puncture the tube and tint his moustache dark brown. My fencing and gate blowing in due to the ‘beast from the east’ and having to prop them up with a dustbin (heavily laden) and my car.  Whilst I was trying to secure the gate to prevent the puppy from getting out, I realised he wasn’t in the house, I panicked, went out in a 40mph gale in my boot and with both crutches calling him. No puppy, in a state of distress, I tried to decide whether to ring the police because he could cause a car accident and hurt someone. Suddenly I remembered I had gone into the larder to get some flour, I opened the door and sitting so still was my lovely puppy. I had to take the dressing off last Thursday and revert to shoes, when I asked what kind of shoes the consultant said ‘sandals?’ odd slippers were the best I could manage, and then my foot started to swell and was bright red.  An infection, my doctor gave me antibiotics but it is very swollen, red and painful…….

• Posted

Ann, what is going on with your toe? Have you been doing the exercises I posted? Those have helped my range of motion tremendously. I do have to say when the swelling on the bottom is down I walk more normal. When it’s seollen, not so much. I asked my PT about this and he said it’s normal right now to walk on the side of the foot and that it won’t ruin your gait in the long run when the swelling comes down.
    • Posted

i have often wondered how people did this on their own, it sounds rough! 
    • Posted

hi

my toe is a bit stiff and uncomfortable as iscthe pad of my foot when i walk my phyiso got cancelled because of bad weather so im not there till next friday hope it sorts itself out gettung a bit fed up now

• Posted

Bless your heart, Janet!  Glad to have you jump in and share.  It seems many of us are in close date range w having surgery, and it sure helps to know we're not alone.  I had my Austin on 1/22/2018.  

Your puppy sure sounds like a treat!! 😉  I honestly could not help chuckling out loud reading about your puppy with colored mustache. 🤣  What a relief it must have been for you to find him in the pantry sitting still.  Awwww. 🐶  

Anywho, I'm sorry to hear of all the initial delays and the troubles you've experienced.  It isn't easy when you're having to go through this recovery on your own.  Please know you're not alone.  My hubby took *only* 2 days off when I had my surgery - the day of and the day after.  I could tell he was itching to get back to work w the thought of things piling up for him and the periodic calls he was getting from co-workers insensitive to his time off for me.  Then he would come home quickly during his lunch break to see how I'm doing and bring or prepare a meal.  I've had other offers by good meaningful friends from my church, but I somehow wouldn't allow myself to accept.  I think it was mostly due to me not wanting them to see me in such a state of vulnerability nor see my house in such disarray as my focus has been primarily on healing.  Any house work I attempted would drain me of what little energy I did have in the mornings.  Also found that there was only so much I could nag hubby about without causing him to think I'm milking it during this recovery.  Lol. 😬🙊🙄😇??😁  I can laugh now, but it was quite frustrating then seeing things needing to be done precisely as I'd like them and not being able to do them myself.  Eventually hubby's lunch visits dwindled to phone calls given his role at work and as I was able to get around comfortably on crutches and before my foot would swell.  I was good with it.  But I tell you... it was quite a lonely journey for the most part in the first 4 weeks for me.  This recovery is such an undertaking.  It's beyond what I imagined.  And it's quite humbling.  Reading all the messages on this site, especially on this thread, has been quite helpful.  The 1st few weeks in my recovery I only read peoples experiences and responses to one another which I found comfort in being able to relate at some level, and that helped me see the glimpses of light whenever I was at a low and depressing point, and the Light grew bigger from my perspective as I quenched my faith.  Eventually got enough courage to jump in and share here and there.  It does help to share w those who truly understand.  We have 3 adult children and one beautiful granddaughter over 1500-2000 miles away in other states.  And find it's really hard to have loved ones so far especially during recovery.  So I really appreciated the times we got to FaceTime w each other.  I also avoided social media during this recovery time for the most part as I didn't want that distraction nor temptation of envy to spur up.  It's only a couple days ago that I've allowed myself get back out there.

Regarding your foot getting red.,,, mine still gets that way when first getting out of bed, when on it for too long, and after each ROM.

Even while it's been only 2 days in to wearing regular wide toe box shoes, I'm finding the top of my foot sensitive to whatever's in it whether it be socks or shoes.  While I await my CicaTape for scar treatment to arrive, I've been placing a 4x4 gauze on top of my incision for a little relief.  Dr said it's good to use compression socks but I've found those very difficult to slip on.  May try again later.  I still have my compression wrap and have used that as well to help.  Hope your foot's redness eases up soon and that your infection heals completely!

I encourage you to keep sharing here because in the midst of that, you are actually encouraging someone else in their journey.  We're here for one another! :D

Ps.

Really liked the whole nuts and bolts humor. 😁??

• Posted

Dona, try looking up "CicaTape".  It's made by CicaSolutions.  The roll I found (about an inch and a half wide and 5 yards long) is on Amazon for $16.95US.  Not sure where you're at geographically, but it may be priced differently internationally.  I'm here in the United States.  BTW, I also got a whopping 10% off for buying two rolls.  I tend to get ahead of myself too and felt the need to stock up now. ??  I won't even begin to tell you how many shoes I bought online during this time only to have them not quite fit and have hubby kindly return them for me. 🤣  Call it retail therapy, but I call it being better prepared.  Lol. 😜

Anywho, as for EOs.,,, I love my EOs!!  They have really helped with my inflammation and early scar treatment.  I have two mix blends which I'll list below, but won't elaborate on the benefits as I'm sure you'll do your homework on each.  I have two blends - one I nickled as "Anti-Scar Blend" in a dropper bottle, and the other I called "Refreshing Anti-Scar Blend" in a roll-on bottle.  You'll see why w the ingredients.  Anywho, here are the deets that you could hopefully copy and paste into your phone notes to make it easy to reference.

_____

Anti-Scar Blend – for regenerating skin cells, anti-inflammatory, and minimize keloids

In a 30ml squeeze/dropper cobalt blue bottle:

•Fill bottle half way (15ml) w Organic Rosehip Oil (Chile/Bulgaria)

•20 drops Helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum) 

•20 drops Frankincense (Boswellia carterii) 

•10 drops Organic Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) 

_____

Refreshing Anti-Scar Blend – for regenerating skin cells and anti inflammatory 

In a 0.3 fl oz (9.2mL) bronze colored roll on ball bottle:

• fill bottle half way w Organic Rosehip Oil 

• 15 drops Organic Lavender 

• 20 drops Organic Rosemary 

• 12 drops Tea Tree 

I use of the above blends interchangeably every single day after my 2wk post op when the external stitches were removed.  My steri strips fell off on different dates and so I would only massage the EOs on to the surroundings and the rest of my foot, but not directly on the incision.  Even when the steri strips all fell off, I still had some scabbing that I had to wait to fall off.  Massaging foot w EOs helped immensely especially when doing ROMs.  I'm massaging them into other foot that has a minor bunion to help losen muscles/tendons between metatarsals and would wear the Correct Toes afterwards.  Wanted to take a more natural approach for the other foot vs surgically.  It won't happen overnight, but I don't have it in me to go through this recovery again w just a minor stage bunion on my LT foot.

Ok.  That's it for now!  Have fun researching the benefits of the essential oils above and blending your own mix.  Definitely something to consider!  And they do work!  

Now back to tackling the much needed chores around this house. 😉

• Posted

Thanks for th blends! I may not have the rose hip, but the others I have for sure, along with empty rollerballs. Now as to where those may be... hmm! 

I’m in Michigan. That brand on Amazon (hubby found, I have yet to look) was for $30. I’ll take a look myself. When he looked on a few sites last night, he seemed to think the scar away may be good as well. Update... he just looked again and said the Cica got best results.. thanks again for that! I would have never knew! 

Good on you for staying off social media! I had to for several days, because I simply couldn’t tackle all of that extra stuff. Even things like balancing the checkbook becomes a daunting task. 

Somtimes I feel so lazy! or think my hubby thinks I’m lazy just laying here, I know,that’s not even close to true, it’s just me being too hard on myself. And my surgery was Feb 20th. I still have a small ways to go. Did more toe exercises again, oiled up, arnica etc and am trying to think about doing some work from home. Just need to remember to limit my time doing it. 

Janet, I could just hug you! I can’t imagine. Your puppy sounds like a lot of fun! But maybe a lot of work for just you! I can barely feed our two in the a.m. 

your jokes made made me giggle several times, we all need to remember to giggle :-) it sure is refreshing! 

• Posted

Hey Dona,

I just had to write again to say hi, because I am in Michigan, too--west MI. Sounds like we had our surgeries done almost the same day, too. 

• Posted

I’m your friend to the south in Indiana! Can I complain that I can’t find any decent looking Shoes! For the 3rd time I have had to take orders back to DSW because they were too ugly, or my foot wasn’t as swollen, so too big, too long, etc. I wandered around today there seeing if ther was anything, anything I could squeeze my foot into,  but no. I guess I’m resigned to wearing my ugly grey Propet travel lace up and an old pair of black athleisure shoe, Mary Jane style, I almost threw away a few years back. Thank goodness I didn’t. I’m tired of looking frumpy when I go out, as I’m a high heeled gal!...or at least cute low heeled booties! I can’t wait until the weather is warm (hurry up May), so I can wear my cute sandals at least! 
    • Posted

Hi Lulu,  I just had my cast removed a couple of days ago.  This was a surgery on my second foot.  The x-rays were unbelievable with all of the improvements and you could actually see a lot of the work the surgeon had to do--amazing!  Anyway, I had wanted to let you know that sneakers are my best support once my boot is off in a month.  I really need the support and it takes a while for my feet to do what my brain tells them to do because of all the fixing of the muscles, tendons and ligaments.  I found some Dr Scholl sneakers on the Famous Footwear site---really great prices, too.  Just peruse the sale or clearance sections as well.  I am really glad you are doing well.  It amazes me how exhausted I am during this recovery, let me tell ya!  Hang in there!!!!
    • Posted

Hi Lulu!

Good time of year for us to have this done, since it is so cold outside. This was my second foot, and I had the screws removed from my first (left) foot at the same time just over 2 weeks ago. I tried to wear a boot with a small heel on my left foot when we went out today, and I had to end up wearing a loose, flat-footed one instead. neutral  Although that foot is mostly healed, it was still too tender for my good boots. My surgery foot will be in a boot another 3 weeks. I am looking forward to spring, too!

• Posted

Hey! I'm just a lil' further south from y'all!  We're here in Northern Alabama... that's still hard for me to admit having lived most my life on the west coast (Southern California).  

Lulu, I totally feel ya on the whole shoe ordeal!  I think my husband enjoys getting to return some of my shoes I've ordered during this recovery.  Haha.  Though that doesn't stop me until I can find some more decent ones.   He's used to it.  😉  Meanwhile am sticking w my casual tennis - Astral TR1 Trek's.  I have a pair of Topo Athletics MT2's on the way.  We'll see if those work.  Also found that I was able to squeeze into one of my Converse shoes but had to really loosen up all the laces to do so.  Haven't dared to try the booties as I know already that'll be a struggle.  I am on the hunt for some decent sandals too in preparation for the warm weather ahead.  Been looking at some Olukai's but I'm still a bit weary about my scar showing.  I'm hoping the CicaTape will somehow conceal it left on.  Have you heard of the brand FitFlop?  Apparently, they are also AAOS approved, even for our foot recovery.  I don't have any personal experience w these, but I did notice them on Nordstrom & NordstromRack's websites.  DSW may carry them as well.  What about Birkenstock?  Do any of you have experience with these?

I'm still working up the energy to venture outside on my own after these exercises, but house work has depleted me so far.  Hope to eventually venture out by next week if not this wknd.  Though it looks like we're in for some rain throughout the wknd here in the south.

Anywho, let us know what you do find, if any!

Happy shoe hunting!! 

• Posted

No way!!! I’m in St. Clair Shores! How cool! now I’m wondering where you went! I had my first two surgeries done by a Podiatrist. Everyone highly recommended him and as a person I think he’s great. But this time I went to an ortho surgeon and the process is very different! In a good way.

how very cool! 

• Posted

my aunt who had several foot surgeries said that the Birkenstocks were most comfy for her but she wasn’t sure how they be for me, because of the low heel support she said. I haven’t even tried a shoe on yet! I don’t think my swelling is too bad. The only shoe I’ve had on is the hideous Velcro black sandal boot thing I got from surgery. 

Maybe I can figure out how to post a pic... 

• Posted

iris, I’m sorry I can’t remember.., are you walking yet? I’m in the scooter until beginning of April.. 
    • Posted

Hi Everyone,  I've been reading your posts and I am wondering if anyone else is having muscle pain up the side of your back on your surgery side when you walk for any length of time?  This did not happen to me when I had my right foot done.  I am in a boot, a few days out of a plaster cast.  I am starting pt on Monday.  It is super painful after walking for a short time.  Thanks everyone!

• Posted

Tami, I only had pain when I was uneven. I had to buy an evenup shoe thing for my trainer so I was at the same height when I had my boot on.
    • Posted

lulu

are you able to walk downstairs normally like before i find it difficult still

• Posted

Ann, once in awhile when the swelling is really down I almost can, but it hurts my ankle. I’m still mostly placing my foot over to the side instead of forward as I’m going down.
    • Posted

Ann, this morning I can. My toes ache a bit when I do. The swelling is down at the bottom of my foot, but at the top underneath my big toe and next to the incision, it’s still pretty puffy. It hurts a little there to put in normal sneakers. 
    • Posted

I had the same podiatrist (2 surgeons in Grand Rapids) do both my feet, and the experience has been the same, except I am in a lot of pain this time, which I did not have last time. No, I am not walking. 2 weeks with the wrap after surgery, then 4 weeks in a cast, then starting to walk in a boot at the beginning of April (6 weeks). Last time, I had a cast for the 4 weeks, and this time one of the surgeons suggested the boot (still no weight). I am not sure which I prefer. I can take the boot off to exercise my toes, foot, and ankle, and to shower, but it is super heavy and bulky compared to the cast. I am hoping to get a smaller boot when I go back to docs in another 10 days.
    • Posted

Hi Tami,

I did not have any pain in my back last year after I had my first foot done, and I am not walking yet this time.

• Posted

Not yet. I was wanting to give my toenails a break after the holiday season. But more so because my feet are still peeling a little, all over. I can really give myself a good pedicure, sans spit, with clean toenails. I can see what I’m doing. I m just going to keep doing this until sandal season. However, I just painted my fingernails for the first time today in 2 months.
    • Posted

Isn’t it something how they all do different options for this type of surgery? I know of course we are all different but it is pretty interesting that every doctor has their own way of doing things. On my left foot I had a cast immediately and then I went into the bulky boat and then just walking regular. That was a very long process. This time I have no cast at any point. And no boot, just the Velcro shoe! 2 diff. doctors. I have the scooter until beginning of April when I go back to see what is next. The nurse told me this week I could start to drive if I wanted, but I don’t feel ready at all. And someone would still Have to be there to help me get into the car, then get out after and I would still have my scooter. I’m kind of disappointed that I’m not further along but I’m also not remembering how long it took last time as well. :-) It’s such a waiting game.
    • Posted

I still have the same polish on... lol that would be nice though! my foot is so ugly! straight, but ugly! my bunion Was quite moderate severe the surgeon said. Right after the surgery it looked like I was missing a digit. Very odd to get used to it first. I used to be so embarrassed to go and get pedicures.
    • Posted

Haha! 💅🏼👣  Great question, Ann!!  Pre-surgery instructions required me to remove all polish from my toes before having surgery.,,, waited until the very morning to do so.  Have yet to polish them since but gosh they're needed! ??  Figured since it's been cold out and foot has been covered up for the most part just really haven't made the effort.  I also took off my acrylics on my finger nails right about 3wks post op as it was difficult to do ROM w long nails.  Figured it's a good time to let all my nails and toe nails breathe until it gets warmer into Springtime.  

• Posted

Hi Lulu, 

?In answer to your post above, In my case, my best friend who I have known for 35 years, fell out with me because I was snappy in a text message and didn't seem to pick up on how depressed I was, but I got amazing help from unexpected sources, in particular from all of you guys out there without whose support and kindness and sharing  experiences with each other, I think I would have gone mad. ( Most of my friends would be saying at this moment 'but Janet you are mad! a comment I would have to agree with)

?Also one of my clients picked me up last Sunday, took us both on a trip down memory lane, to an area we both, individually, had fond memories of, and then took me to a lovely restaurant for lunch leaving her two young children with her dad for the afternoon. My elderly friend (84) has mentored me and gone with me in taxis to a supermarket and a garden centre. Another client invited me to go out with her and her bridesmaid/witness last night for a mini Hen party. And very specially, a third client who is recovering from a very serious operation has contacted me constantly giving encouragement and support, I thought I was going to lose her at one point in February, but thankfully she seems to be recovering albeit slowly now. We have been able to offer support for each other and our friendship has  blossomed and grown. Her daughter came home from Canada yesterday to help 'Mum and Dad' to move house, and of course to celebrate Mothers Day with her.

?I am a very lucky lady. Hope we are all tottering round in 6" heels in a very short time, ha!ha! not me! no matter how good my recovery is. Kindest regards. Janetx

• Posted

Not me Ann, and I am a Beauty Therapist, but you know what they say about Cobblers children being the worst shod! I did notice that one person seemed to have nail polish on directly after the op. I thought it was compulsory to remove varnish pre op so the anaesthetist could check to make sure the patient was ok?
    • Posted

I was surprised they didn’t have me take my polish off. I always have before. 

Wow, some of these days/nights sure are lonely!! I had looked forward to being alone and catching up on stuff. Guess I didn’t factor in the pain and being uncomfortable and one footed... 

• Posted

I did ask my doctor about the need for a cast, since it seems like many people do not have to wear one, and they can also weight-bear before 6 weeks. He said they prefer not to cast; however, in my situation it is necessary. He said that in most cases, if the patient puts light weight on right away, it is okay because the bones actual push together. He said that is not the case for me though.  I do not recall if I already mentioned how they did mine: 2 surgeons, 2 very long screws in the top of my foot, bone shaved off by my knuckle big toe. The boot I have is the same as a cast; full protection with no weight on my foot. I am able to exercise my foot better by removing it though, so I am hopeful that may speed the recovery.
    • Posted

Hi guys!  Truth!!!  I also thought I'd have so much extra time to catch up on things for me--reading, etc.  I have done a little of that but not much.  This recovery has taken a lot out of me-geesh!  I got my plaster cast off this past week and am starting pt tomorrow.  Yesterday, I picked up a bit, made lunch and dinner for the kids and loaded and unloaded the dishwasher.  You would have thought I ran a marathon.  I did have to rest quite a bit between each chore as well. I had to take tylenol before bed last night.  Resting more today, for sure  haha!!!  I have a boot on as well now, for a month and then I can go into my new sneakers.  Just taking it a day at a time.  Hope to be driving by June!  Have a great day guys!!!

• Posted

hi 

lulu are you walking outside if so what kind of shoes are you wearing.Has anyoune got some ideas of the best ones im in puma trainers at the minute with insoles in but still limping is everyone else limping.Janet what shoes you got we have the same shops 

• Posted

It is odd how everyone has similar surgeries, but different aftercare. I also had the bone shaved at the top, he had to push it down, also. Fixed the minor bunion and take off a bone spur. One long screw that came out at 4 weeks. After 1 week I was allowed to weightbear in an aircast boot, one hour a day, increasing every week. I didn’t though, as the pressure from the boot hurt with my screw. So I scootered around fir a month. After my screw was out, I could walk with my soft surgical boot or aircast boot, increasing the time each week. 
    • Posted

Tami, I found I also lacked attention span. I thought I’d be reading tons of books and watching tons of movies. I did to some extent, but not a lot. Maybe 2 books. I did find I was on the iPad for hours, though. Little activities also exhausted me. I remember the first week just going into the kitchen on my knee scooter and getting some lunch. I think I took a nap afterwards. It’s definitely a slow healing process.
    • Posted

As I sit on the couch I make lists as to what I need when I get up... lol. I for sure lack attention, and I think it’s from not eating well too. But then I get up and scoot around on the carpet, (my left leg should be ripped!!) I’m out of breath and forgot my list back on the couch. Oy! 

as I look back the past few weeks I did a lot of just staring at my iPad being overwhelmed. I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon this site in the middle of googling “does anyone else have sharp pain like fire rods in their big toe” in the middle of the night... haha. 

I couldnt get comfy last night, again. Never really fell asleep. I don’t need to wear the Velcro shoe to bed, but I find at night my foot starts to throb, and I ice and heat and stay off it most of the day. I hike my foot up on my wedge pillow, regular pillows and pillows around me. I sleep on my side which is harder as well. Sometimes this gets almost too frustrating! 

And my husband hasn’t slept in our bed since feb 20 when I had this done, he’s scared he will kick me, and by the time I get pillowed up there’s no room for him and our cat and dog too! yikes! feels lonely a lot rolleyes 

• Posted

Even our screws are different, Lulu. I have 2 permanent screws in my foot.
    • Posted

hi

i have 2 permanent screws also its hard to bend the foot

ann

• Posted

Those first 2 weeks trying to sleep are horrendous, a little better the 3rd and 4th. I slept in the guest bedroom for 4 weeks, until I could get up and use the restroom in the middle of the night without using the scooter. My foot was also propped up in all sorts of weird positions and it would just throb in certain ones. I was all over that bed, with pillows tucked behind my back for supper, covers everywhere. I was just awful. After about 10 days I remember laying awake hurting, tired, uncomfortable and sobbed for about 15 minutes. Which was awful because now I needed a tissue. By the 3rd week, I still couldn’t position my foot certain ways, but found positions that would let me sleep more soundly. Those were lonely times. 

its a lonely experience, and I also was happy to find this group to commiserate with, because no one understands. I have to say that at 6 weeks I started physical therapy and I really believe it was helped me get better much quicker with all the various exercises. Also, those times your foot is just swollen, they take half the time to massage the fluid out, which was wonderful and helped fir days on out. There was still swelling, but not near as much. 

• Posted

Iris, I wonder why some screws have to be permanent?
    • Posted

I can’t wait to start pt! It doesn’t seem like my doctor automatically 

prescribes it, but I’m going to try my hardest to insist. I’m so paranoid my foot won’t regain its full ROM. Or most of it. Today when I did my exercises I seem to have gone back in progress! so frustrating. My foot is pretty tingly too, and when I try and bend my toes when I have it propped on couch, most of the time it spasms into curling as I try and control it. No controlling it! 

• Posted

Do you think the screws are making it hard for your foot to bend, Ann? I had my first foot done Feb 2017. The screws in that foot irritated me, so I had them removed when they did my second foot. This time, the screws do not seem to be irritating me as much, so I may leave them in. Doc says they stay in, unless I am am having a problem. 
    • Posted

Hi Tami, and everyone, 

?I want to wish you all a Happy Mothers Day, I hope you were spoilt all day, or maybe were fortunate enough to be able to spoil your Mother, I think they should change it to Ladies day or allocate a day specially for ladies, we deserve it.

?I am still struggling with shoes Tami, my foot is still swollen from the infection, sometimes I am lucky and can wear a very old but loved Geox slip on shoe, today was one, and my son Ashley and I, walked my puppy Harry, on the promenade at Lytham a lovely resort near to where I live. This was Harrys first real venture into the big wide world and so I walked about half a mile, my foot is now singing to me and I have a suspicion that it will keep me awake most of the night again, last night I tossed and turned in bed from 11.00pm till 2.00am, that was the last time I looked at the clock so I don't know when I eventually got to sleep. I had taken 2 Nytol tablets and eventually a Pregablin! I have just ordered a pair of Geox 'Vega' Sandals, they look comfortable and have Velcro straps which I think can be tightened and slackened as the need arises ( One pair is reduced from £75 to £39 on line). I will let you know if they are comfortable when they arrive. I think we have to take each day as it comes and mobilise or rest as the foot dictates. My favourite footwear since renouncing the boot is the odd slippers I mentioned (I think!) comfort - and more stability with the full slipper on my good foot.

hope we are all a little better tomorrow,

Janet

• Posted

Lulu, I am definitely no expert, although it sounded like because of the amount of bone they had to cut and how much they had to reposition my foot. They had initially told me I might end up with three. I know they had to have two surgeons to perform my surgery (I am not sure if that is normal; I just know they had told me both times that my surgery would be first thing Monday morning because they both had to be there). I presume that is also why the no weight-bearing for 6 weeks is such a big deal. I was surprised to find out that the two screws are in the top part of my foot.  

It sounds like Ann also has two permanent screws.

• Posted

Absolutely do the pt.  It just takes a lot of time for the feet to do what the brain is telling them---the whole fixing the nerves, muscles, tendons and ligaments.  I have three permanent screws (as long as there are no issues) in each foot.  I had my first foot done in oct 2017 and my second in jan 2018. It is a lot of work but you will feel so much better!  I start for my second foot tomorrow.  Hang in there and rest.
    • Posted

Much love to you Janet!  Be careful about how much you do in a day.  Rest!!!
    • Posted

Wow, Tami, having both feet done so close together. That was my initial plan, and then I decided to hold off a few more months before having my second foot done, because I decided I wanted my first one more fully healed first. I just had my second foot done about a year after the first (Feb. 2018).

You must be having both your feet healing now...I suppose that is good to get it all out of the way at the same time!

• Posted

hi

yes i also have 2 permenant screws in i do think thats why i am slightly limping still its not very flexable i cant stand on my toes it would be too uncomfortable hope it gets better soon im of on hol on april 1st

• Posted

Hi ladies!  Hope y'all had a good weekend!!

Dona, hang in there, girl!  This recovery surely is a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows.  Early on in the first few weeks, it was more lows w tear drenched pillows for me.  It does get better though.  It's remembering to persevere through those lows and remembering the highs are on their way back.  One of the things I've done throughout this journey was to document my weekly progress by capturing some photos and jotting a few notes on changes in my routine etc.  It's really helped to be able to look back and see my progress especially during the low moments.  Eventually the rollercoaster levels out into the highs or close to it.  Now that I'm @ 7wks post op, my struggle is w energy and consistently doing my ROMs.  

Quick side story...  Yesterday when in the midst of some Spring cleaning found myself propped on the bedroom floor cleaning, organizing and getting rid of stuff only to realize and wonder how the heck am I going to get up?!  I didn't want to have hubby help as he does so much for me already, but I also didn't want to put all that pressure on my surgical foot.  Had to really think through this one.  Lol.  Eventually got myself into the yoga pose, downward facing dog, and pushed self up w arms while most of my weight was on my good LT foot.  Voila!  Got up independently!! 🤣

Anywho, do what brings you joy and some laughter.  And if that means doing nothing, that's ok too.  We're allowed that during recovery.  The more rest you allow yourself and w elevating foot, the more rewards.  I really believe that's how I've been able to get into regular kicks already, combined w prayer.

In preparation for some scheduled shoots this week, I tried on some other shoes I already have.  Surprisingly was able to get my surgical foot into a pair of converse w my Injinji toe socks on!  Taking things further felt bold and able to get my foot into some high heeled wedges, but when I stood up in them fell forward grabbing the nearby door knob to break my fall but still slammed shoulder hard into the door. 😬  It definitely takes a while to learn how to do things again.  The whole brain and foot connecting is going to take some practice indoors.  So I too still need to remember to take things slow.  I know I won't wear those heels for some time, but it was nice to be able to see something nice on my feet for a change. 😉

• Posted

hi

how did you know the screws were bothering you what were the symptoms just incase i need to get mine checked

ann

• Posted

I did the same thing with some shoes. I pulled out some peep toes higher wedges to see if my foot would go into it. It slid right in. I didn’t stand on it, but it looked so pretty! I also tried a pair of 1.5 inch booties and my foot fit in that, too! Doc said I can wear antnshoe I want at 11 weeks....which is in 2.5 weeks from now. 

But heres the problem. I did wear some flat shoes tomdinner the other night, mynfiitbdud fit in it. But an hour later it was starting to swell and by the time we left was extremely tight.

im afraid my foot will swell when I put on any regular shoes for quite some time.

• Posted

Ann, right after I had the surgery, the top of my foot was always warm, tender, red, and irritated in one area. Doc always felt it, and said it felt fine. I am allergic to metals, so that may have attributed to the irritation. Initially, I did not even realize that is where my screws were. Over time, it did not get as red. It was mostly just when I exercised the area a lot; it would come and go. Since I was going in to have my other foot done, and he had said removing them is pretty minor, I asked him to take them out. I am not experiencing the redness and irritation this time (other pains instead), so I may just leave the new ones in. Time will tell!
    • Posted

Ann, ROM means range of motion - type of exercises for to get our joints moving again.  In our case w bunionectomy, they want us to do ROM on the big toe's joint that connects w the big metatarsal.  Since we aren't allowed to post links in this public forum, I can private message you a link to Kaiser's PDF of this, if you'd like.  

• Posted

Sounds like progress though for you, Lulu!  And it's encouraging news for me. 😊  I recall your surgery was an Austin, sometime in mid January also.  Is that right?  Mine was on 01/22/2018.  Today is exactly 7 weeks post op.  

I'm feeling a bit nervous about the event on Wednesday as I'm scheduled to cover it for about 4hrs, and mostly on my feet. 😬  And aside from going to my appointments, this will be my first on my own out and about.  Let alone the gear I'll need to carry.  I couldn't get out of this month's event since I'm the lead and will also be training up a new team member.  We'll see how things go.  The shoe I plan to wear is already a bit loose and has a wide toe box.  So we'll see.  I will definitely plan to massage my feet w EOs before heading out for sure. 

• Posted

HI

my foot is not not red or irritated so its prob just stiff did some movement in my foot feels a bit better today less stiff my walking is better too so maybe ive turned a corner i do hope so as for getting shoes out thats just to get the dust of them lol defo not ready for those yet

• Posted

Hi Ria, I’m actually not sure of the name. I had to look up Austin, and that does sound like my procedure. They repositioned the bone over and down. I believe the reason I’m so swollen still below my big toe and around the incision is because of this and they did shave it on top, also. My MIL just had the bunion done and she didn’t sell on top like me. I think you will be fine for 4 hours standing up as long as you have wide roomy shoes. You want enough room if your foot starts swelling.

I am at 9 weeks tomorrow and everything seems to be progressing like it should except the swelling on top. I mean it’s somewhat swollen all over somewhat, but it gets better. That part of my foot isn’t. 

I really think PT has truly helped my ROM, but I’m diligent about doing all the exercises they keep giving me. 

I cant wait for sandal season!

• Posted

Thx for the encouragement, Lulu! 😊  I feel ya on the swelling at the top.  Dr shaved off the top of my foot during surgery where the big toe's metatarsal bone meets w the cuniform bone of the foot.  Had lots of swelling there in combination w bunion pain for years.  So my incision is longer than normal, 4 inches long.  That part of the incision at top of my foot took longer to heal.  Even when external stitches were removed @ 2wks PO and steri strips fell off @ 3wks PO, it would look like it was wanting to open up after each ROM and the swelling that followed, and whenever I took a bath/shower.  Incision completely closed finally @ 4.5-5wks PO and thankfully the swelling is slowly diminishing.  Still gets red at that top area.  So been massaging that and whole foot w essential oils to soften tissue, relieve inflammation/swelling, and help w minimizing scarring.  It feels sensitive so I've been covering it up w a fresh gauze each night (EOs or Mederma PM on incision underneath gauze) and put on an Injinji toe sock for compression and warmth.  It also serves as a protection barrier from blankets, or else I have that foot sticking out or on top of blankets.  Lol.  Still not used to having foot inside in fear my big toe would get smashed up against other toes at night while moving around sleeping. 😬😊

• Posted

hi

i too cant wait for sandle season hoping they dont rub across my scar been busy this afternoon cleaning my oven that had not been since before xmas it so needed it im 9 and half weeks tomorro

• Posted

Ann, I’m also looking around my house! The carpet upstairs hasn’t been swept for 9 weeks, so I have to,do that. Kitchen floor needs cleaning and that’s a hands and knees job, so now can just do that. I see spring cleaning in my near future!
    • Posted

lulu

my foot is still swollen around scar and on thevtop big toe also hope it goes down soon im going on hols in2 and half weeks

ann

• Posted

Ann, you should be able to wear a sandal...are you going somewhere warm? The stores have sandals out now, I’d go and try some on if yours are rubbing wrong. 
    • Posted

lulu

yes i will do that in the next week or so. We are off to cyprus so i do hope its warm its been a long winter here in my home town in u k

• Posted

Oh, that sounds lovely! We are going to Hawaii in 2 months!
    • Posted

wow you will have to tell me how that is we we want to go there next year so need loads of info
    • Posted

I’m going to try and insist :-) I still wonder if I’m doing the exercises myself correctly. 
    • Posted

I just love reading your posts :-) sorry for the late responses, and I’ll see how many I can catch up on before I fall asleep! 

I went to work (hubby drove, bless him) Monday. Hoping to not have a repeat of a full blown meltdown after working last Monday, I tried (oh so much) to get as much done as fast as possible. I overdid it but not too bad. I know now I can last about 4 hours at work (working at desk) until my foot is cooked and I’m incoherent. Then don’t forgot the ride home, and then get situated on couch to do ice, heat, oils, sobbing! during this time at work I get up on my scooter and “scoot” in my chair to the copy and scan machine. That’s a lot of work in itself! So I worked 6 hours yesterday, knowing I needed to come back at least once more this week. Today my hubby offered to bring in the ice machine (which is my salvation for sure!!) and he set it up under my desk. So I lasted about 4 hours before it was just too much, and my foot had had it. I think I can do the rest from home this week. Phew!!! and I couldn’t fall asleep last night again, trying to get comfy ( hubby brought in ice machine to bed, and that helped) really bless him! and I couldn’t shut my brain down from the Monday’s day at work rolleyes 

so... happy Friday to me! sort of! my husband gets a vasectomy tomorrow. Not sure how helpful I’ll be, and if he wants to borrow the ice machine, I’ll have to let him since he’s hauled it all around for me. 

It it really is a lot of extra work with a scooter for me. Much better than crutches though, I was NOT good on those. I have a bag in front of my scooter, where I pack some stuff, and even a cup holder. Lol. Hey, when you are scooting around one handed trying to go places, it comes in handy! I’ll even make sticky notes of things I need to do, or what I need to grab, when I get up. Or it really takes a lot outta me! At home we have carpet, my left leg should be buff when this is all over !! 

I have hopped one footed myself down to the mudroom (three steps) to get a shirt, but then wondering how I’d be able to hop back up to my scooter, and just sat in the steps and waited for my husband to walk by. Live and learn :-) 

best of luck on your shoots! hoping they don’t last long, don’t over do it! 

PS. I got that tape today! I’m anxious to try it. Still need a few steri slip to fall off. 

• Posted

I never knew until this surgery and googling more that screws and pins could be taken out! I was never given that option. Mine are still in left foot from about 6 and 8 years ago, it actually looks like a have a shank in my foot in X-rays. This time as well nothing was mentioned about taking the two I have out ever. They don’t seem to bother me. Again, so curious as to how many different methods all of the doctors have. 
    • Posted

You got this!!! I’ll be rooting for you! Be easy on yourself and remember, once you start to get tired, sore, try to either take a break to elevate and just breathe, or try to not go any longer than several hours. We are all so different, but for me, after a few hours working, I had to remind myself that I still had to wait for my ride, get home, get in the house with all of the stuff, and then get on that couch to recoup. And by then I was beyond done.
    • Posted

i was never told the name of my bunion surgery as well, I’ll have to ask because I’m curious after reading these! I thought it was a Hallux Valgus, but I think that’s a general term. That was what was written on my RX for a handicapped sign for my car, when I actually do drive. 

I have three incisions . One on the side of below my big toe, one very small one on top between my big toe and second toe, and one more on top of my foot, about two inches down. The one on the side of my toe, where the bunion bone stood out (looked like a thumb almost!) almost looks like it has a square cut as well!! Which doesn’t look good at all!! I’m hoping it’s not that, still hard to tell. I was not told that I’d have a square box cut out, was it taken off then put back on?! lol! they said this scar compared to my left one (not done by them) would be much smaller with the two smaller scars verses one decent sized one. But that box?! 

• Posted

Thx, girl, for the encouragement. 😌  Wish I knew about the whole knee scooter idea sooner. 🛴  By the time I read about it was 4wks post op and couldn't justify the cost for using it for just 2 more weeks.  Crutches were difficult initially.  Figured it would help build my biceps though. 🤣💪🏼😜  Found myself hopping around a lot on other foot only to realize another problem - where's my sport bra?!! 😆??  Seriously though, those crutches forced me to keep my eye on the goal of getting better and allowing self to rest.  But then now I realize I have to lose some of this weight I gained because I got too comfortable (aka lazy) and wasn't exactly eating right.  Did you experience this?  Thankfully it wasn't so much that I couldn't squeeze into some skinny jeans.  [holding breath] 😶😂 Just a bit snug and lil' muffin top.  Ok, more like a Sprinkles cupcake w lots of cream cheese filling. Lol. 🤣🙃😆 Nothing a few days of green juices and protein drinks won't fix though, right?! 😬😉  Kudos to you Dona, Lulu, and those of you who have remained active between elevating feet and being productive and all.  

Got my rolls of tape also yesterday!  Cut a few pieces to size.  Will begin using it tomorrow under socks.  We'll see how it holds up for the event.  

Sandal season?!  Yes!!!!!!  It's near!!

• Posted

Excellent Dona!  The physical therapist will be able to email to you your treatment plan---so you will be able to look back on it whenever necessary.  I went to my first pt for this foot yesterday.  I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher and washed pots, pans and did a little cleaning with the counters.  I did too much and my feet were so swollen.  I have been doing my exercises that were given after I had my first foot done.  Now, I am trying (only when I walk to the bathroom) to walk without my boot and practice walking completely through a step so I use my toes.  My feet were so bad before my surgeries that I had lost my arches and was not using my toes---s having an arch and using my toes again is a lot of work to regain,  But, I will get there---it is just quite an endeavor!   Keep caring for yourself and rest,
    • Posted

YES Iris---that was my thought as well.  I had so much pain that after about a half hour of walking (before surgery), I had to sit down and the pain was tremendous.  I figured it is winter time (and now we are in our third blizzard) and I knew I would not be able to drive for a long while, so it only made sense to get it all done.  The recovery is much  more intense than I thought it would be though and there are days that I am so frustrated with myself.  I just have to practice pulling it together so I can keep striving forward.  You are very brave to have gone back through this a year later!!!  Keep on taking good care of yourself!!!
    • Posted

Good idea about using essential oils. I had not thought of trying that!

• Posted

I still can’t stand any heavy covers on my foot, and it is hard to leave a foot hanging out! last week I woke up from the couch and my foot had fallen off and was on the floor! but it didn’t hurt and I didn’t feel it falling! In bed I use a wedge, and many pillows to prop my entire body. I think just now, I’m able to sleep somewhat comfy, or at least enough  to fall asleep! 3 weeks today! my bruises look so much better almost gone! I really think that’s from all I’ve been doing as well. The arnica, EO’s and sometimes biofreeze...

I’m still wondering about compression socks... when did you start those? I do remember with my last foot surgery, and this one too, I feel like my foot is splaying out at times.... it’s an odd sensation, I feel like my bones are moving and spreading out, then I wonder if I should have it in something that is holding my foot in support? 

i think I’d like compression socks.... if they are ok to wear? 

thinking of you rocking out and going strong today!!!

• Posted

I wasn’t able to put my foot under the covers until 4 weeks when they took my screw out. And only with socks. I could still only lay on one side or back. I think it was about 5 or 6 weeks where I could take my socks off comfortably. As far as bruising, I still have all my little bruises from the stitches, there are 5 little squares on one side of the incision. The other side have faded almost fine, although you can see the indentations of where the stitches were, although better. I bruise very easily, so maybe it will take awhile. They are about 1/2 as dark as they were and it’s 9 weeks today. Also, still a bruise where the screw was sticking out of foot, although that is healed over. My scar is looking ok. I’ve been massaging with Vitamin e..pure Shea oil.   What should I use for bruising?
    • Posted

I dont think you can do much about bruising my scars have healed nicely hardly noticable but the swelling omg still going on tried on some of my sandles only one pair were suitable flat ones so i will have to invest in some more hubby will be pleased spending more money on shoes lol
    • Posted

I can't be positive but I think the arnica helped bruising. I usually bruise extremely easy as well. My bruises have really improved over the days and they previously didn't get better as quick as they have been.

• Posted

Hi all 

I’m new here 

Had bunion surgery a week ago 

Zero pain as they put a block in

Only yesterday the pain started 

Omg wow 

I have a wedge in between my toe to keep it pulled out open which is hurting badly. I haven’t seen my foot yet as it’s still bandaged up. I go next week to my post op appointment . Dr said I have all internal stitches and 2 screws in which don’t come out thank goodness. I need to heal fast n get back into my car I have children at school n my husband can’t keep ducking home to take them n pick them up . I’m bored stiff n over it. I won’t be getting my right foot done that’s for sure ..

• Posted

Hi Janice -  I fee your pain I really do.  Please take it easy.  You shouldn’t be weightbearing for at least two weeks and  I had to wear a wedged boot for four weeks after that.   I had my surgery seven weeks ago today and am only going to drive for the first time today and back to work tomorrow.  It’s so worth it once you get to this stage so try keep positive.

Good luck.

Jane

• Posted

Welcome Jac. I also have internal stitches and 2 screws (criss-crossed in the top of my foot where the bone was cut). I am at 5 weeks post-op. Hope you heal fast!
    • Posted

Hi jacE, Just know you are going through the worst right now. Do you have any prescriptions left fir the pain? Keep taking extra strength Tylenol.  This is a very slow healing process, it can’t be rushed. I know it’s hard for me to ask for help from anyone, but are there a couple of friends you could ask in picking up and bringing home your kids? Even for a week, or alternating with your Hubble. What does your doctor say about weight Bearing?

i know it’s awful right now. I used to count days, just getting through the days, the boredom hard we all can understand as we went through it, there is only so much tv or reading a person can do! 

Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi

yes as lulu says its a very slow boring time consuming proce each week get a bit better im now 11an a half weeks now and just feeling a bit positive you just have to keep positive

• Posted

Hope everyone else is doing well with their recovery im sure we will all be dancing in the summer lol
    • Posted

Hi Lulu - I have just had my foot surgery (buion removal with two screws and a band type thing). Just wondering how you are doing now?
    • Posted

Hi , due too having both feet done on same day , avoiding weight bearing was impossible, so nearly a year later my feet still hurt and haven’t healed,I work 8 hours a day standing and it’s bearable with pain killers ,surgeons now looking at bone fusion. So if you only had one foot done I would recommend no weight bearing at all on it ,for six to eight weeks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.