Walking without crutches- getting some pain!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello fellow hippies

I am now 7.5 weeks post op from TRHR with Super Path approach and non cemented implant. I have been doing some walking without crutches for last couple of weeks. Using one crutch when out and about as I still feel I need that bit of support, both physically and from a confidence point of view.

I have also been doing some short distance driving

What is bothering me is that the top of my pelvic bone on both sides really aches as does my lower back when I walk

Also the muscles on both inner thighs are very tense and painful if I touch them

Movement in operated hip is brilliant

I am going for my first lot of physio next week so wil obviously raise these issues

I am assuming it is the walking without crutches/ driving that has aggravated things

Has anyone else experienced this -I feel I have taken a step backwards

Linda xxx

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello from a very sunny Kent

what exactly is "super path??

I'm 6 weeks post op

i do same as you with regard to stick (although I keep walking off without it when I'm out!)

i have driven a couple of times. First time aggravated upper leg quite a bit. Now I take cushion to sit on its much better. 

Most of my pain now feels like toothache in my thigh, think it is the bone attaching to prothisis causing it. This hurts to touch like a bruise 

I dont know about inner thighs perhaps someone else on here will have some info

good luck, let us know what Physio thinks

carol😄 Xx

• Posted

Hi Carol

Thanks for response. Super path is minimally invasive procedure- you can google it. No hip dislocation prior to op, no incision through muscles, just parting of them and small 3.5 inch incision. Quite common in America and Australia but only one surgeon doing it in this country and Europe yet and he is based at Coventry and Rugby hospitals. Several people on this forum have had the procedure with him.He is training other surgeons in 

this method.

Yes, I keep walking off without stick and then panic because I haven't got it with me. I think it's getting to be a comfort thing but I feel unsteady when I am walking amongst other people as I think they are going to bump into me and knock me over. They do tend to give you a wide berth when you have a crutch with you!

Our ops are very much a learning curve aren't they? You really don't know what to expect and what is right or wrong. Although I suspect there is no right or wrong.

Glad you are progressing well, like me I am pleased with how things are going- we are all impatient though and expect to be further along the line than we are.

When I think of the immediate post op pain, what I have now is nothing like that so I am sure that in a few weeks time even this discomfort will lessen

Have a good weekend

Kind regards Linda xx

• Posted

I think the inner thigh pain is somewhat unusual, I don't recall anyone having that issue. Are you getting regular physical therapy? What is interesting to me is that you are having pain on both sides ( inner thigh, upper pelvis bone). I think that is kind of odd. Wondering if you were just in real bad physical shape and didn't realize it because your pain prior to surgery was focused on your bad hip. Your symptoms may be simply weak muscles overall in that area because you were babying a bad hip. This is why I was asking about physical therapy.
    • Posted

Glad to read this post because I have what I would call a toothache on what I would call my hip bone but maybe is my pelvic bone. It's there all the time and worse at night. I was worried that I had an internal infection.
    • Posted

Hi Jodi

Yes I think you are right -all related to pre op gait which was bad and muscles in operated leg had wasted somewhat. Need to build up muscles and hopefully physiotherapy will help

Hope you are doing good

Linda xx

• Posted

Hi attractac

My discomfort feels like muscular or ligament pain and is just a real dull nagging ache and muscle soreness on inner thigh

Hey it's tolerable - nothing like before

I am sure that it will ease in time

Hope you start to feel better

Kind regards Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I am 4 weeks after anterior. I have experiences these pains too. I put it down to poor alignment preop for so long. Now with a new hip I have to strengthen muscles and work on strengthening the weaker side. My back has been playing up too particularly when I wake up. 

My physio gave me exercises to help activate my gluteus, immediately after my walking improves and my limp is less. Also hydrotherapy has been very good in exercising without too much strain. Feels really good after. 

Sounds like physio should help, you've had a long time with no physio,  maybe a little too much too soon also. My physio is going to give me some massage to my thigh if it's still sore and tight this week....can't wait!!

Enjoy the physio. It will help a lot.

🌈💌🌈

• Posted

Hi Georgie

My hospital does not do any automatic physiotherapy after you leave hospital - lots of exercises to do though in a booklet they give you to reinforce exercises they show you in hospital

I think you are right about poor alignment because my surgeon said I had one leg shorter than the other due to loss of cartilage so gait was well dodgy pre op

Reassuring to know others getting same pains - I suppose it does take a while for brain/ body to readjust - really looking forward to physiotherapy

Hope they give my thighs a good massage -they feel so tight and sore

Although it is a big hospital they do not have any hydrotherapy facilities unfortunately

Hope you are doing well

Kind regards Linda xx

• Posted

Hi..I am 7 weeks post op...mine is cemented and i suffered a cracked femur in surgery..which they wired it.I just went for my first physio yesterday. .I was concerned as I was having pain in operated leg..groin and knee..she explained hips r realighing and that eill cause hip and back pain.also have some scar tissue which i need to massage...it was suggested i walk with walking sticks help walk faster and use longer strides. .all will.get easier snd less painful in time. ..I am sure u will improve with time and exercise
    • Posted

Hi Hope

Strangely enough I have been putting a hot water bottle on lower back when lying down and pain seems to have eased considerably today

I am sure you are right about realignment -you just sometimes worry that you are not heading in the right direction. Good to know others having the same issues

Looking forward to physiotherapy

Hope you are progressing well

Regards Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Linda ..

It might be the walking without crutches and recently driving ....

Better to take your crutch with you, or at least a cane - 

My gait is still so off .. I limp like a chimpanzee and with stiff thighs I look like Frankensteins's bride ... 

Doesn't help that other hip is really bad right now ... 

It sounds normal to me, but I am not a medical person ... aslong as you are not in horrible pain, I think tenderness and discomfort are part of the heling process ..

And yes, definitely mention it to your PT ... 

two steps forward, one step back - one step at a time and easy does it ...

Big hug 

renee

• Posted

Hi dear Renee

How are you today? hope you are taking it easy and enjoying your lovely new home

No my pain is not really bad, just annoying and more discomfort than anything

I am sure it is all related to pre op walking which was so bad before. Too impatient that's my trouble

I have felt better today and have not used crutches at all which seem to be a bit of a hindrance at times and slow me down

Every day is different and you never know what to expect sometimes

Onwards and upwards!

You take care of yourself now

Kind wishes Linda xx

• Posted

Yes..I experienced the same...I had pain driving..felt like I was sitting on a sausage roll..lol...pain in low back..physio told me the hips have to realign and low back pain is normal.I also have paim down to knee og operated side. .this is just the psoas muscle..needs to stretch. I am fr Canada and had mo restrictions at all..no 90 degree rule ot crossing leg past midline.I wad driving at 2 weeks..non driving leg..my total hip is cemented in..told very little chance of dislocating unless I fell hard and twisted...

• Posted

I am 10 weeks post op and am walking with a stick outside the house for long stretches. In the house and garden I am walking with nothing. I do sometimes feel the ache in lower back and pelvis, especially when I'm tired but it is getting better the I walk. Hope this helps Gillxx
    • Posted

Hi Gill

Seems a fairly universal problem. Just nice to get the same feedback from everyone - Makes you feel you are not on your own

Hope you and Alan are well

Kind wishes Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Linda thanks for your kind thoughts - yes we are both now getting back to a bit of normality -errrr not sure what that is lol but working together we are getting through it. Have to say he seems to have recovered really well from his pulminary embolism, and I thank God every night for letting him get over it.... hope your keeping well apart fropm the aches and pains we all seem to be going through at different stages. xxx
    • Posted

Yes I Say my prayers too - we are so lucky to have had our ops and the opportunity to be well again. We are very blessed!

hope you both have a good and restful night

Linda xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.