Want to come off ramipril

Posted , 24 users are following.

I have been taking ramipril 5mg for about five years now and am really unsure wether they are benfitting my blood pressure and whether they are giving me side effects. I am 59 years old, retired, slim build and very active (cycling,swimming etc) but previously my diet was not great.. About a month ago my BP did this spike up  to 160/90 at the Doctor surgery but this was probably due to ''white coat syndrome'' as my average BP was about 135/80. I feel very tired in the afternoons, sleep poorly and get mild/dizziness/vertigo type symptons (unsure if these are Ramipril side effects though).   About three weeks ago I decided to embark on a very healthy diet (ie no processed food, eating fruit,  vegetable, chicken, fish, very low salt and Lycamoto tabs) and My BP is now regularly down on average to 120/65, it has been as low as 110/65 when I am relaxed.  My plan is to persue this new diet (I am also taking Lycamoto tablets)  and if the good BP results continue, to ask my GP whether I can be weened off Ramipril.. Has anyone else managed to come off Ramipril ? What were your experiences ?     

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I came off Ramipril  3 months ago ,as during the last year I had to falls. / fainting I broke/ smashed my wrist and then 2 fingers ,seems it could have been my blood pressure was dropping too low after exersise,,,,,however I googled Ramipril and it showed not advisable for people aged 70 ( I'm 69  ) and advisable for people lung conditions like asthma etc ,,,as I have chronic asthma and copd ,and Bronchietis ,and aged 69 , and I had feeling soooooo lethargic and tired and my cough was constant ,I decided to come off them ,I told my GP Andre changed my tablets ,fingers crossed , 
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience Nanny 1086, I hope everything turns out well for you
    • Posted

I hope you feel better on the new tablets. I have recently been diagnosed with hbp and have just started on Ramipril 2.5mg. Have to take this dose for 2 weeks and it will be increased gradually. Didn't get an info slip with the meds so have been googling for info.
    • Posted

Please give the Ramipril a good try,,,as what didn't suit me would suit someone else ,,,,I am feeling much better now thanks for asking ,,,good luck,& good health ,
    • Posted

Glad you are feeling better on the new meds. Am doing ok on Ramipril so far but the dose i am on is not lasting 24 hours. Readings come down for about 12 hours or so but then go back up again. Dose to be revised on 23rd.
    • Posted

Try DASH diet. Its named best diet in us for the last 4 yrs. Its a bp diet. Ive lost 6 stone and on the path to come off my ramapril. Hope this helps smile
  • Posted

Try DASH diet. Its named best diet in us for the last 4 yrs. Its a bp diet. Ive lost 6 stone and on the path to come off my ramapril. Hope this helps 
  • Posted

Where can I find out about the DASH diet please? Interested as cut out Amlopodine and have a month til need to return to GP for check up and confess!
  • Posted

Hi 

I have great news!   My strength has returned, but it took 6 months for all (side effects of Ramipril 10mg) to dissipate.  I had severe muscle weakness, muscle aching as well as complete loss of strength, joint pain (decreased range of motion due to a chronic inflammation.   In my first post I mentioned the pain at my left clavicle/shoulder joint and could not push myself up to sit in bed. My arms could not be lifted up very high, and I could not reach into a cupboard for a cup.  My legs got weak and I could not bend knees, walking was compromised and I had to literally crawl up/downstairs on hands and feet!  Getting up/down after sitting was almost impossible!  All of that started in Sept 2014 and miraculously this past month I have been without any of those symptoms (side effects)!  I had blood tests in early Feb 2015 and there was no indication of, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, nor any other condition?  

I have been moving more, am not on any medication at all, and use good food and exercise and relaxation breathing as my medicine!  The breathing keeps my BP GOOD (110/65 to 130/80).  My experience taught me that I cannot rely on medication without serious side-effects.  These side effects from taking Ramipril are listed and my body responded after the 10mg dose. I'm am grateful I recovered and continue to stay active!  My advice is don't obsess over having BPchecked too often, and look at natural ways of helping yourself to be healthy!    Go for a walk, laugh a lot, rest when you feel like it, and do some relation breathing NICE DEEP BREATH IN and EXHALE THROUGH MOUTH.  

I am 66, retired and stay active climbing stairs, walking briskly.  Make yourself up/down off floor, this will keep you able to do that!  Very grateful all the drugs are gone from my system!  If you are suffering what I went through, do your best to MOVE - IF YOU DONT USE IT - YOU WILL LOSE IT!  It took me six months to work through the pain, I am grateful it's over!

• Posted

That's brilliant Kathleen!! Thanks so much for taking the time. I am ok on the excercise front and have turned my diet around to eating natural whole foods (no more sweetie or Salty things).  I will definately try the breathing excercises though. All of what you say makes total sence. Good luck to you too Nanny 1086.      
    • Posted

I am on ramapril since my MI last October. I can't understand why because I have always had low blood pressure and been slightly underweight. I do get on off stabbing pains in my left chest after taking ramapril. All the other symptoms you have mentioned 're movement and joint pain I have been suffering due to the STATINS I was on. Now discontinued.
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen04185.. just started Ramipril 5mg in June for the month and had the blood test.. I have seen the doctor and she has increased the ramipril to 7.50mg.I think the Doctor is also seeing if my body is tolerant to the medicasion? so I will see how it go's thanking you for your input to the treatment best wishes retired David keeping up being active.to...
    • Posted

Dear Kathleen, I know you posted your issues with Ramipril over a year ago but I have just discovered this site. I have been taking Ramipril for around four years and my dosage was increased to the 10mg level. I had been experiencing pain in my joints and muscles and like you had been having difficulty sleeping due to the pain in my legs. I am now 62 years old and fairly active as I walk regularly with my dogs and I teach exercise classes to the over 60s. I was struggling in the evenings due to the muscle and joint pain. I initially just put it down to aches and pains of getting older but it was definitely getting me down. When I found this site and realised that other people like yourself were suffering from similar symptoms I thought that Ramipril could be the culprit. These side effects had never been mentioned by my GP or the nurse I saw regularly. All they would ask me was if I had a dry cough which I did not.

Anyway I have stopped taking Ramipril about three weeks ago and the symptoms are gradually getting less. I am monitoring my own blood pressure which is in the normal range and I will continue to do so.

I see that it took you around 6 months for your symptoms to go and so I am hopeful that I will be as successful.

I am doing everything I can to naturally control my BP and taking CO10 which has got reviews for lowering BP.

Thank you for your input.

Christine

• Posted

Hi Christine

Can i ask how you came off ramipril? Did you lower the doseage over a period of time? I have been suffering with a cough, tiredness, forgetfulness etc. I have HBP but i want to come off all medication and use natural ways, food exercise etc to control my BP.

Im having anti depressants counteracting the low mood created by ramipril. Im sure i could run a marathon if i came of it all!!!

Many thanks

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate, I probably did the wrong thing because I was so fed up with aching limbs. I just stopped taking Ramipril. I was also on a diuretic though and I took that for a little while on its own. I would recommend that you probably do not stop taking Ramipril like I did but instead tell your GP that you want to stop taking it. Hopefully they will be happy to let you have a go at lifestyle changes if your BP is not too high. I am taking a number of natural supplements and also losing weight gradually which should make a difference. I also exercise regularly. My BP is around 148/85 on average so hopefully that should not be an issue.

I would also recommend that you get a reliable home BP monitor just so that you can keep an eye on your BP, keep a record of the readings and show them to your GP.

Good Luck biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.