want to exercise but cant

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was told to exercise more as it would help my COPD I did go to the gym and was enjoying it but when i got an exercise bike as that was also mentioned things just went from bad to worse i then got pain on my right thigh and my knee hurt i thought cause not used to it so kept going but the pain got worse and then my hip was sore I had to get strong inflamation tabs its been a month now and pain was gone so went back on the bike and thought would take it slowly and build it up again so only 10 min last night and yet again pain in my knee and hip today God i want to exercise and yet this happens it is so annoying as i did like the time i was doing it before now spent so much on the bike and to scared to use it as have enough going on with the COPD feel i cant win

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Try not to let that get you down. Any movement is better thatn none at all. I used to faithfully walk on the treadmill for at least 30 mins or 1 mile depending on the speed. I developed a bad cold and had to stop. Then it seems to take all my breath away and I slacked off. Now I am back to 30 mins only 3 times a week instead of everyday, but that time off  really set me back. Stay strong and perhaps move at a slower pace and use less tension.  Stay strong and know that others are in the same boat, attempting to push forward. All the best
    • Posted

Yes was ok on the treadmill and did exactly same thing but it does get boring eh and i know if i went bk again i would be the same and have to start building it up all over again That was the fun part seeing it improve but when you get to the level you know is the most you are going to do then it does get a bit boring, Thats why i thought id get the bike and do it at my own leisure and i am going to take it slower in the hope that i can do it again without the pain Ha it took a lot out me just starting that again so yes emazing how quick the fitness goes again Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Margaret

You're having a rough time. It sounds as though you may need someone to check out your right knee & hip - and then get some PT to help them. Mention to the therapist that you have COPD.

When all else fails there is always gentle walking in place. If you do 6 stints of 5 minutes spread throughout the day that's 30 minutes.

Good luck

• Posted

I did, Doctors always just give you tablets doesnt really help to solve it tho. Will keep trying and do it a lot slower this time, Im just so impatient i guess, and we always think we can do a lot more than we used to. 
    • Posted

Yeah I just started PT again, right side muscles, leg etc. It will be interesting because they're trying to get me to change how I place my foot, and that will have a huge negative impact on that knee. The knee doesn't qualify for PT because it's proven unresponsive in the past, so we shall see. Since I just got out of the hospital (pneumonitis below new bronchiectasis, SOB), I had to have permission for the already overdue PT.

I mention all this about PT for right knee & hip pain on a stationary bike because a few PT suggestions along the way made it possible for me to get back on the stationary bike ... Before all my lung problems since July.

Keep on truckin', even if it's at 1/5th speed.

• Posted

Adjust the seat level up so you are almost standing. Turn off all resistance so it turns freewheeling. At least these are thighs I have to do to use one.
    • Posted

Will try that Cheers the seat that is as it may work actually well i hope so will let you know Thanks
  • Posted

Walking inside or out for 5 mins x 6 each day is a good recommendation and also the adjustment of the cycle height.  The correct posture postion for cycling is important so as not to cause injury.

do a search on "correct posture for indoor cycling"

Also keep in mind, its good to vary the exercise, not just cycling or just treadmill.  Perhaps ask your doctor for a referral to pulmonary rehabilitation, to give you an idea on the different exercises recommended.

Also if you go to you tube and put in the search box COPD exercise this will give you an idea, but generally you need to check with your doctor what is safe for you.

If you have had a lot of oral steroids ask your doctor to refer you for a bone density scan or if you haven't had a lot of oral steroids, and the knee and hip pain continues, you can ask your GP for referral for xray, to see what may be going on.

Best wishes V

• Posted

However if you are only having the hip and knee pain when you cycle it would suggest an ergonomic problem.

try a google search for 

ergonomic problems cycling

or 

ergonomic problems cycling knee and hip pain

• Posted

You may be right Vee.

Margaret, 10 years or so ago therapists got me to stop rolling my right knee outward while driving. Very small, simple change which eliminated tons of pain in knee, ankle & hip on that side. 5 years earlier, a massage therapist insisted that I slow down on stationary bikes. We have to build up slowly, then add in some 30 - 60 second speed bursts. I have to watch tv/dvd while walking or biking in house; too boring otherwise.

• Posted

This year ive been on so many steriods my Doctor got in touch to say that from now on i must take be taken off them slowly so i go down each day after the weeks course until im taken only one a day for 2wks. im just praying this year is off to a better start

• Posted

Ha i know eh is all a bit boring need to force myself yes heard about simple things like the knee position Then my son said its cause not warming up first didnt think id need to for ten min ha trying only do start wi one day on one off now makes me feel so bloody unfit god who wd have known it ten bloody min,
    • Posted

They also wanted me to go to the exercise program for copd which wd have been good but i work so cant. At least they are now keeping an eye on it unlike before which they didnt must have been because my oxygen levels dropped by half at the start of the year
    • Posted

10 mins to start when you have not exercised for some time is a little ambitious.  3 mins and build from that I would.  No reason why you can't do 3 mins x 3 daily.

I can't do more than 3 mins on the cycle myself and I exercise regularly already.

• Posted

I have copd 2 and also getting pain in my right hip too, but had an ankle injury from over 15 years ago which is making me limp more. Not sure now which the pain is do with now. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.