Warding off hayfever already!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, after a horrible year last year with my asthma a big change for this year is starting antihistamines now to ward off hayfever as early as possible because last year I left it a bit too late & was playing catch up which I couldn't get over which led to asthma attacks & a chest infection after every cold. I switched from clenil to sirdupla with intermittent usage of montelukast when needed & I know I'm fortunate in comparison to others but I really want to not suffer as much this year...does anyone have any tips or advice?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cath.sorry to hear you have had such a rubbish year.your asthma symptoms sound pretty similar to mine.I too started antihisamine a couple of months ago and am back under the care of the chest consultant.I had pneumonia nearly a year ago and still don't feel as if I have totally recovered. A few years ago I was getting no or little relief with antibiotics or steroids in addition to symbicort preventative inhalor and my nightly montrlukast.eventually my GP diagnosed a post nasal drip for which i was given steroid and saline nasal spray .both were initially a big help to me but I'm been suffering with the nasal drip again recently so getting another ENT referal.sometimes it's hard to differentiate between the asthma and nasal drip given i can suffer with persistent dry cough and sort throats. If it hasn't been looked into already I would mention the post nasal drip to your doc as it may be worth a try of the sprays.the saline nasal spray on its own can be bought over the counter and might be worth a try in the first instance .it's called sterimar .good luck Beth

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Beth but I'm sorry to hear you suffer so much. I had an asthma attack a couple of months ago and still don't feel like I've fully recovered but am determined to do everything I can to get on top of things.

• Posted

Cath yes I also stay ahead of my allergies I make sure I take my allergy pill cause I know what allergies do to my asthma.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.