warfarin and antibiotics

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I had pneumonia earlier this year and was in hospital 1 week. Got loads of intravenous antibiotics and was fixed. However since then I'm on warfarin for af and mr. My chest infection has returned but not pneumonia. I was given amoxycilin for 1week but my INR went to 5.0 Still got infection 6 weeks later now doc has given me doxycycline. It causes bleeding if taking warfarin even more than amoxycilin!! Does anyone know of an antibiotic least likely to interact with warfarin? I'm too scared to take the new one. I get nose bleeds anyway without extra worry.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't think there is,  ask your doctor if u can stop taking the warfarin whilst you are on antibiotics,  INR  of 5 too high.  See if u can take aspirin instead.  I have just had a INR test and was told if I was ever given antibiotics to let the know right away so they can adjust the dosage.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Man, Garry, I'm sorry about all that. My deal with Warfarin is this: I got the doc to permit home testing so I can keep closer track of its fluctuations (weekly) and fix it when it gets out of range. Broccoli (ugh) brings the INR down and avoiding all dark green veggies brings it up all while maintaining a level dose of the Warfarin. Somehow you have to kill the bugs and the doctor is the best one for that. Keeping the INR in range is also important and you can take an active role in that.

• Posted

Change the warfarin to one of the new anti-coagulants - such as dabigatran...should make life easier!
  • Posted

Hi Garry,

I also have to have antibiotics quite often, I have taken Doxcycline with warfarin without it affecting my INR to much but you must get it chcked more often even if the date on the INR form is for a later date. the other one that the warfarin seems to tolerate is Cefradine I have just finished a course for nasal infection, they usually reduce the warfarin while you are taking them and sometimes even tell you to miss alternate days.

The alternatives to warfarin like Dabigatran also do not interact well with antibiotics, don't be afarid to take what the doctor has given you, you need to get rid of the infection as it will affect your AF just make sure to get your INR checked.

Hope you soon feel better.

L.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.