Was it a UTI or am I in for something much more dangerous?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So two weeks ago, I felt pressure and occasional pain around my lower abdomens, on both side. It wasn't much of a worry for me as it did not really interfere with my daily life. It was until the 3-4 day that I start to take notice as I have more frequent urination to about 10-12 times a day. I would say that when I urinate, it does not hurt, burn or anything. Just a normal stream and that's it. I went to the GP and had my urine and blood sample taken for tests in which both came out negative. I also had ultrasound scan on my bladder and the doctor said it was normal. So I was just given Cipro for 5 days and I was on my way. However, on the second day of taking Cipro, I noticed some joint pain which is a known problem of Cipro. I was then switched to Trimethoprim for 7 days. So far, I have just finished taking the course and I would not say I have frequent urination (7-8 times a day). But the backaches, abdominal-groin pain still persists and I would say on a scale of 1-10, the pain is around a 5. Urine is clear too. Any verdicts?

PS: Extra infos: I am a male. If it helps, I would also like to add that the pressure and pain started the day after I masturbated, in which I have stopped since. There is no pain in defecation whatsoever and I have normal stools and once a day.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, 

I am not familiar with the male anatomy, but I am questioning when your urine samples came back negative, why did they give you antibiotics Let alone cipro?  Cipro is a strong antibiotics with crazy possible long term side effects.  Antobiotics should not be given unless there is a true sign of infection.  Fever, chills, WBC in urine or a high growth of bacteria.

I would think seeing the sysmptoms really haven't subsided with the antibiotics you have taken, it is not an infection either that or you are being treated with a wrong antibiotic.   Is it possible that you could have an STD?  from unprotected sex?  I would go back to the GP and say you still are having symptoms, and hopefully he/she will know what further tests need to be done.

• Posted

Yes! It was crazy how they gave me Cipro right off the bat. I even asked them if there was anything wrong with my urine and they just said, "No, you're fine". I am also a virgin so STD is ruled out there.

• Posted

I am going to the GP tomorrow to see what's up but just want to know what the forum thinks and if you guys have ever encountered such an ordeal before. I tried to pinpoint my symptoms online and it is just a huge cluster of possibilities. I went to A&E twice to check up and both times were deemed normal from urine and blood test. Really odd. Could it be kidney stone or blocked ureter/urethra? My urine stream is normal and I have no fever. The one thing I did not check was whether it hurts to ejaculate as I have mentioned I stopped the moment I felt the abdominal pain.

• Posted

What I would do is ask your GP to order an ultra sound to check kidneys if you are concerned that there is a stone.  Ultra sounds are great to check for any abnormailities.  
    • Posted

Great suggestion. I will request that for sure tomorrow. I will update my conditions here so if anyone has any input, you are very much welcomed. 
  • Posted

Basically, UTI was ruled out by the GP and in fact, the suspicion has been layed on kidney stones or bowel movement instead. CT scan in a week's time, hopefully I can find an answer to this pain. Cheers.

• Posted

Glad you are looking further.  CT scan to see bowels right?  As you can see kidney by ultra sound.  Good luck!
  • Posted

So CT scan results were out and there was nothing wrong at all. I was told that it might be that the pain will subside as the day goes. Some sort of post-UTI effect. Not sure what that means but the doctors have no other conclusion other than asking me to take painkillers and wait for it to pass. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.