was on esmya for just over 8 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

For anyone who has to under go surgery for uterine fibroids...i am the biggest wimp i know and I had my surgery on the 18th Aug 15 & I'm already very mobile ( bout the house & short walks) hasn't even been 2 weeks. Its not all roses mind , I don't know if I could have any long term problems from taking esmya for so long when you're clearly not supposed to. I , like many others , dreaded the surgery & having to be cut not to mention having a catheter on when I woke up ..so gross , but i' ve survived . What have I been left with? I still have my ovaries, I have some numbness up my right leg & just above my incision , also I visited my gp who said I have been left with a lump of dried blood inside that should disintegrate with time. If I could offer any advice at all stay focused on why you need it , try to keep active & a stable weight leading up to surgery & listen to all the do's & don'ts , if prescribed codeine do take a prescribed laxative with it ...really coz wow ... Hope this is helpful

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi glad to know your surgery went well . I'm sorry I haven't been following your post . How large were your fibroids and are you planning to have kids ?
    • Posted

I have a 21 year old son Esther & my fibroid was too large to leave and for easier methods of removal , it was described as a 12 wk gestational so needed the esmya to try & shrink it down a bit . my second scan showed it to be the same size but it was slightly smaller when i finally went in for surgery, this just means less complications and blood loss during surgery. I was told I also had endometriosis by the consultant when he did his rounds that evening which was a shock considering I had no connected symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi, Im guessing you had abdominal surgery. I had laparoscopy surgery to remove the fibroids and two months later I became pregnant so the surgery was a huge success as there was no way I could have become pregnant because of the froids completely situated in a position and having a never ending period. Anyway baby is due in 4 weeks and unfortunately its going to be a c-section birth so more or less its a similar surgery to what u just had except I will be awake! Really anxious about it. How long did it take you to get out of bed and move around the room?
    • Posted

Hi Helen , I'm so happy for you and your story encourages me a lot . I'm due for surgery laparoscopy next month can I just ask how big your fibroids were and how soon did you start trying to have a baby after the surgery . I have been on esmya for 4 months and prostap for 8 months . Thanks
    • Posted

At first the ultrasound only picked up one fibroid. It was discovered at 1.5cm and only caused heavy painful periods. Six months later it grew to 5cm and my period was ridiculous with non stop bleeding, clotting and flooding for 20 - days until I had the surgery. One might say it was a small fibroid but it was situated deep within the uterous which did not allow it to contract properly so I just had a continuous heavy period. When I had the surgery they discovered 5 more small fibroids which the ultrasound did not pick up and removed them as well.

Six weeks post surgery my dr. gave me the go ahead to start a baby. I got pregnant on the first try, of course I knew my ovulation time so we didnt miss any chances. I am also 41 years old so I consider myself very lucky to have this opportunity. Also I would like to add that pre surgery intercourse was very painful with the fibroids and post surgery the problem was completely solved.

Fibroids tend to return and my dr told me to try and become pregnant within 1.5-2 yrs which is probably when they turn up again. Laparoscopy surgery is a very quick recovering surgery so I will opt for it again as soon as the fibroids return and cause me problems. Good luck with your surgery, I believe laparoscopy surgery is the best and fastest way to solve fibroid problems.

• Posted

I just wish they had laparoscopy surgery to give birth! Lol! Unfortunately due to the previous myomectomy on my uterous I cannot give birth naturally as Dr fears uterine rupture. So I will have a csection which I am kind of dreading. I am a wimp to open abdominal surgery, i have mixed feelings of excitement (due to baby) but also alot of fear and anxiety ( other than laparoscopy I have never had open surgery)
    • Posted

whether you like it or not they like to get you out of bed the day after but because you will have a little one to look after they may want you up and about sooner. My niece had a c section years ago with epidural which is what i assume you are opting for & she was on her feet long before i was having had a total hysterectomy , i dont know what the rules are about lifting after a c section but you will probably have to take it easy for a while if only to reduce your risk of haemorrage. On the up side my surgery was less than a fortnight ago & my incision is already healing nicely. If you have any major concerns about your treatment Helen it helps put your mind at rest to turn up at appointments armed with a list of the questions you want answers to & this will help keep your stress levels down . good luck with everything Helen & best wishes with what is gonna be a happy special time for you and your family .
    • Posted

I too was terrified about being cut but i neednt have panicked so much , i was worried about how it would feel aferwards , would going to the toilet even be a problem , keeping it clean etc. There is some really good pain relief out there , discomfort is temporary & your reasons for it will far outway that , you will totally think its worth it.  
    • Posted

Hi Alison just reading your post about your recovery after your total hysterectomy. I was told last week that they recommend I have on had I have a 9-10 cm fibroid that is pushing my uterus over to the right side, it does cause a lot of heavy bleeding and pressure but I'm not bleeding for weeks on end, it was a total shock when they told me.

I'm really scared about the surgery and recovery incase things change down there for a lot of reasons that are very personal, if you get what I mean haha. I'm also scared of the weight gain everyone iOS telling me about, silly I know but I am.

Hope all goes well with your recovery. X

• Posted

Iknow what you mean ann marie about the worry of gaining weight on top of everything else . Now it's been 3 wks since my surgery and I haven't yet started to put weight on even what I initially lost with the removal and lack of appetite afterwards , I can keep you updated if you like as the weeks go on . I am normally very active at work and I usually walk quite a bit & it's the walking i'm getting frustrated about at the moment , I want to start speeding up from the pottering but it's just too uncomfortable at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi Helen , I'm sorry to bother you I have just had my surgery all went on well and I'm back and fit . I want to know if your periods got back before you started trying to have a baby . Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Esther, I got a very light period two weeks after the surgery, not sure if that counts. And then a normal one right before I got pregnant. My doctor advised to wait till two months till after the surgery to try for a baby - which is exactly what we did. I also started to take pre.pregnancy vitamins one month prior to trying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.