Waves of sadness after initially taking Mirtazapine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey there,

My partner has taken 15mg of Mirtazapine last night and has been feeling the common side effects such as drowsiness. This has been joined with him experiencing waves of sadness throughout the day with moments of relief and normality inbetween.

I understand this can be a common side effect of antidepressants, I'd just like for anyone else to shed some insight into this while taking Mirtazapine and any other support anyone can provide.

Thankyou!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I take sertraline and I get a sudden drop in mood and I sink and have to pull myself out . Maybe a higher dose is needed x
  • Posted

Hey, when I first started on mitazipine I experienced the same bouts of sadness for the first month but now don't experience them x
  • Posted

Hi Iso

I can empathise with that "waves of sadness" or "clunk of dread" feeling.  Did it just start with the Mirt' or did he have it before?  Either way, in CBT or Mindfulness - we are advised to "accept the feeling, telling ourselves it will pass, it is just a fleeting feeling and feelings cannot hurt you.  Dwelling on them may increase the sensation, better to concentrate on your in breaths and out breaths momentarily until it has passed.  

Sorry if this sounds a bit spiritually high plane, but there you go.

I also sometimes have these sensations whilst drifiting off to sleep which is a little frightening, but I just remind myself of the above advice.  

Yes, I think it's the Mirt.  I'm on 15 mg since Sept last year.

Personally I wouldn't up the dose, don't under estimate Mirt's potential, wonderful as a sleep aid, sometimes taken alongside another compatible anti dep' for the actual depression if sleep disorder is in the picture.

Hope this may help a little, wishing your partner well and my best wishes to you both.

Namaste

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.