Weakness in arms & legs.

Posted , 2 users are following.

About 3 months ago I started having weakness in my arms & legs & very bad shortness of breath. The doctors can't seem to find what is causing this. It's not my heart or lungs - I've had all kinds of tests. It continued to get worse to the point of having to use a walker or wheelchair. It doesn't feel like muscles - it's a strange feeling in my arms & legs that stops me completely. Has anyone else had these symptoms? Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you been referred to a neurologist?

Can it be a side effect of any medication you are taking or have previously been prescribed?

Some like Amiodarone linger in the body and cause problems long after they have been stopped. The Forum favourite for muscle weakness is Statins.

• Posted

Hi Derek - thanks for responding. Yes, I have an appt. with a neurologist Thursday. I'm on a lot of meds for other health problems but I don't know if any of them could be causing my problem. All my doctors have a list of all my meds. And I don't think I take a statin.
    • Posted

My symptoms are rather different from yours. Headache, light headed, loss of balance and at first numbness in left foot that is now lack of feeling and causing problems with walking plus a feeling of weakness in my legs. Some of my symptoms are possibly due to an irregular heart rate that I am waiting on a pacemaker for. Some of the rest I put down to Bisoprolol. I was referred to a neurologist in early January basically for the headaches.

The hypertension clinic was concerned about the headaches and arranged for a CT scan that was normal..

I saw an orthopedic consultant for the numbness without getting anywhere but in the past three weeks it has all worsened.

I finally had the neurology appointment yesterday and he was very thorough and I was with him for forty five minutes. He has arranged for a head MRI scan and I had 14 different blood tests one of which is for genetic testing that will take three months to get the result of.

I stopped taking the Bisoprolol last Wednesday and some symptoms were improved yesterday and I was walking better but are almost as bad again today. 

I hope that your man is as thorough as my one was and look forward to hearing about it.

• Posted

Hi Derek - so sorry you are so many health problems also. I have had migraines since 1976. I had to resign my last job as our church's Pastor's assistant & had to be on SS disability because of the migraines. That was in 2001 & I loved that job. In 2013 I had 3 acupuncture treatments for them & didn't have a migraine for several months. But then they started back & I've had 5 treatments in the last 3 or 4 months & I still have them but not as bad. In fact I just went 5 days without one & that was wonderful. Are your headaches migraines? I hope you get some answers soon & me too! 😀
    • Posted

They are not migraines and I had never suffered from headaches until October.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.