Weakness in hands and feet?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

This week is 3 month on Pred for PMR and GCA. Down to 40 mg of pred from restarting at 60mg again in Dec..

So many symptoms have cleared up so that is good. I've been keeping daily drawings of improvements  to show the doctors.

One thing that seems to be worse though is the weakness in my feet and hands. Hard to hold cups without dropping; hard use scissors or hold fork, spoons, knives and pens.  My feet feel like mush can cause me to trip and fall alot. I have a stick shift car but I don't have enough strength to shift gears and use the clutch.

Just wondering if others have had this and if it goes away? I haven't been given to okay to exercise yet until after the  neurosurgery, pulmonary, cardiology, ophthalmology and rheumatology have review all the tests they did before the Holiday...so I will know more in the next few weeks if there are other issues? 

Thanks again for any suggestions.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Artdesign,

I am so sorry for all you are going through, how much it affects your life.

This is the case I would like to jump to help, to say a useful word.

I have GCA - vision is the issue. According to my rheumy I run the risk to loose it totally.

Yes, I take a day at a time, I do not think on the worst scenario - just the opposite.

I think it is the best I can do besides following the recommended treatment- Pred, diet, exercises - I do treadmill.

You will get replies I am sure, and hope you do.

As I am following this Discussion we may meet again.

In this meantime let's keep our hope alive so we will go through 2016 the best way possible!!

xxxx

do not have PMR.

• Posted

Please, Artdesign, disregard - ' do not have PMR' showing at the end of my my post. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hi iellen32,

A day a time is good advice. Sorry to hear your vision. It's been hard to tell what are the symptoms of the illness and the side effects of the meds? 

I like the idea of gentle exercise like, yoga, walking and someone suggested gentle Tai Chi which might be possible once the doc gives the okay. 

Thanks for responding.

• Posted

I think these are things that quite a few people can identify with. A lot of people comment that they dropped things a lot, I struggled to hold a cup and needed both hands quite often to lift things. I struggled to walk on uneven ground and to some extent still do - I can but I don't like the feeling but I'd struggle to describe it - and tripped and fell a lot for no reason. I went through a long period where writing more than a short note led to my writing becoming almost illegible. These things happened without me being on pred so I think it is the underlying autoimmune disorder that causes much of it. The pred doesn't influence that at all as far as is known - it carries on in its own sweet way.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about "exercise" - since I get the impression that for many of you in the US that involves an "exercise programme", the treadmill and the gym. Just try to get out and walk - even if it is only a short one, 5min at a time repeated a few times adds up! If your weather is bad, then go to the mall and walk gently - you will build up strength and distance and speed over time but how much you do to start with is not so important. Getting out in the fresh air and meeting others also helps mood - very important in any autoimmune disorder, most of which are accompanied by low or depressive mood.

• Posted

Ah, so I can now blame PMR and pred for the disappointing decline of my formerly artistic handwriting into a semi-legible scrawl?  It's hard to hold a pen.
    • Posted

Probably - but do discuss it with your rheumy because although it has been shown that hand and feet can be affected by PMR it is also a sign of inflammatory arthritis such as LORA.
    • Posted

Hi Eileen,

I think you're right it's part of the illness. With the initial pain mostly gone, the weakness may be is just more noticeable?  

I'm planning gentle exercise like walking, yoga or Tia Chi once the doc gives the okay.  

I bought these rubber pencil grip Ergonomic Writing Aid  this week and put them on my pens and pencils to help with writing and drawing. They seem to help. 

Would be nice to get outside more and sketch and be in nature. I'm hoping to move to a milder climate this year into a smaller one floor home to make it all easier.

Thanks for your help and advice.

• Posted

Your question is very interesting.  I don't have GCA and am now on a lower dose of pred (7mg), but I definitely have noticed more weakness in my hands and feet.  I have pathethic feet anyway, but I notice they seem to cramp up or "go out of joint" much more these days.  And although I haven't been dropping things more than usual I've found it more difficult to open jars, etc.  Hadn't really thought of it as a pred issue, but maybe it is, given the timing.  I seem to be noticing more (minor) pred side effects now than I did earlier on, and I can only assume it must be because of the length of time I've been taking pred (over 7 months now).   I'm glad to hear that your disease symptoms are much improved.  It is ironic, isn't it, that this forum mostly seems to  exist to help us deal with magical, mysterious prednisone and its dark side? 🐉
    • Posted

I'm really not sure it is definitely pred - I had the same problems with PMR and NO pred.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga,

I'm not sure if it's the meds or illness either? The shakiness from the pred doesn't help the situation for sure. But the doc added 2 new meds for anxiety induced trembling from the pred which has helped. I don't feel like I've been drinking too much espresso and I did give up all caffeine.

Maybe as we recover much of this will improve.:-)

Thanks for responding.

• Posted

Ii get some cramping in hands, feet & ankles, my feet do feel somewhat like "mush" when I'm walking.  I like to walk outside in the fresh air, enjoy the sceneryi, and once I get moving, it's quite pleasant.  (my goal is to walk 1/12 to 2 miles a day, about  30 - 40 mins).
    • Posted

Hi Elijo, massages help a lot, I refer not to the manual massages though,

I have a long handle electric vibrator with a round/ thick pad specially for those issues you talk about.

It's great to massage the joints around feet/ankles, the wrist, arms, legs around the knees.

Having GCA besides Pred and diet I keep being active, I enjoy to workout on my treadmill while listening to those tunes appropriated to help me to work out without feeling boredom.

Bought the vibrator at a well known store where they sell all sorts of different articles to be used indoors and outdoors.

These massages are part of my daily routine.

I keep the legs on a stool the same height as the chair where I am sitting and after five, or ten minutes massaging each leg I feel it helps.

• Posted

Thanks for the input, I'll consider it.  Miy husband does massage my feet manually sometimes and it feels good!  He gave me 4 full body massages for Christmas which I'll spread out, but I always tell them to concentrate on my back, deep massages!

• Posted

Oh, I am glad to know you are experiencing good results with the massages - it's good to feel good!

You got the right gift for Chistmas, too!

Take good care of you, Elijo.

• Posted

Thanks!  The last massage I rec'd from that Spa was l hour and deep on my back, heavenly!  I go for a facial on Monday with a microdermabrasion since I get little things on my face like whiteheads with the pred.  Hope it helps.  I am using a product rec. by by me dermatologist but can't mention the name on this site.  Take good care of yourself too iellen.
    • Posted

You can probably mention it in passing - but your original post really did sound like an advertisement! People joint the site to deliberately advertise wares so there is very tight moderation of any post that sounds like that.
    • Posted

Hi Elijo,

Walking outside sounds very healthy. One reason I want to move to a milder climate so I can get out all year round. 

Great goal for walking. 

Thanks for responding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.