Weaning clonazepam when antidepressant start to "work"?

Posted ,

When to start weaning clonazepam when AD starts to "work"?

Hello,

I've been on Clonazepam(Rivotril) for generalized anxiety for 3 months, "while the antidepressant kicks in". Problem is the first AD never worked, and I had to switch, (from citalopram to sertraline) and I take .375 mg of Rivotril daily, from up to .75 mg a month ago.

Now the sertraline seems to be "kickin" after a month as I feel slightly less anxious.

What should I do about the clonazepam now ? Too early to wean off? try to go down to .25 mg ?

My doc is a GP and simply gave me a prescription for up to 1 mg a day "as needed".

Any insights/similar experience would be welcomed!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Saw my doc and he told me to try to wean the citalopram.

Today is day 4 of going from .375 mg daily to .25 mg.

The first two days I felt big waves of anxiety, not so much yesterday and today.

Support/insight on benzo weaning welcomed!

• Posted

Hi Molly

​Ask about switching down to a different benzo, best bet would be chlordizepoxide. I'm on Sertraline and chlor having come off of 80mg daily diazapam/Lorazapam. It's maily used for alcohol withdrawal and anxiety. Starting dose is usally 25mgx4daily then reduce by 5mg at a pace that's works for you( every week or so) longer if needed. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck smile

• Posted

Hello

​Stop taking right now. I'm on Sertraline I get these funny brain zaps from time to time you will too. Thats the SNRI leaving your body. It's a good thing smile then take the Clonazepam​ if you feel "one coming on" you should be drug free (SAFELY) in about 3 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.