Weaning off amitriptyline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, can anyone tell me the safest way to come off amitriptyline please. I have been taking 25mg at night and 10mg in the morning for nerve pain. Been taking them for about 4 months, I don't think they're helping and fed up of side effects! Thanks for any suggestions.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

whatever you do dont go cold turkey speak to your doctor about stopping them im on 30-40 mg per night been on them for a year fed up of the effects i still get them but its the only drug that works for me during the day its full on pain 
  • Posted

I was on amitriptyline. When I stopped these doctor told me to reduce dosage on week 1 then more reduced week 2 then stop. U can try this.
  • Posted

Hi Jill. I was on it too. On Docs advice weaned off over 1-2 weeks but started taking next drug at the same time which was Gabapentin. Unfortunately neither of these were any good for me. Did nothing for the pain but made me feel incredibly weak and drowsy. I'm now Carbomazapine and this is the first one that has had any effect on the pain for me. It's taking a while to get the dose right but I'm sticking with it. I think we just have to keep trying until we get to the one that works best for us.

• Posted

very interesting jill12........i take 75gr of amitripline at night along with other

medication.....just wondering what side affects do you get?..if i was you i would ask your GP,or stop taking the one in the morning then wait awail before stopping the night one,chin up and take care,

Myra22x

• Posted

Stopped mine last night after taking it for a year 30-40 mg a night went straight too gabapentin 300 mg x3 no side effects at all I take tramadol too 2- 4 per day
  • Posted

I went straight on another drug after taking amitriptyine for a year no bad cold turkey effects at all the drug that replaced it is gabapentin like you i have very bad nerve pain in hands feet and toes tingling and numbness during the day its living hell amitriptyline worked very well for at 30-40 per night only bad thing for side effects massive weight gain and a hangover effect the next day 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.