Weaning off drugs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently in the process of weaning myself off of various drugs as none of them seem to be working.  I struggled with Gabapentin for a while, but finally got it down to 300mg at bedtime.  I am currently trying to wean myself off of Tramadol which I was taking extended release 150mg am and bedtime.  I managed to do the am dose easily enough, but am really struggling cutting the bedtime one out.  I am trying to do it by taking the ordinary 50mg tablets.  Yesterday was ok, but today I have flu type symptoms and general lethargy and spasming legs, so I have given in and taken one 50mg tablet.  The doctor put me on Nortriptaline and I want to cut out the Gabapentin and Tramadol to see if the Nortriptaline works on its own.  (Osteoarthritis in back, hip and knee).  Any advice welcome.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.  I'm trying to wean myself off gabapentin as well.  I ended up with CRPS after foot surgery.  The gaba is weird.  It helps to a certain extent and then doesn't.  I used to waver between my foot feeling hotter than a hot oven and cold, pins and needles.  Now I am cold pins and needles all the time.  I can deal with that.  Went from 2,100mg of gab/day and now down to 400mg/day.  

What i've noticed:  Serious mood issues.  Until I take my first pill of the day my thoughts are dark, hopeless.  Then the gaba kicks in and...feeling better.  Not great, but definitely better.  Also, tried sleeping without the gaba and no sleeping took place!

So, yeah this drug is tricky to get off of.  I don't think it's doing much for my physical issues at this point, but don't know how to stop without going mental.  jeez.

I keep wondering if I will ever return to the person I was before my foot injury.  It's been a year now and still a shadow of my former self....I'm surprised you are taking gabapentin for OA.  It has now effect on my OA at all, but has helped to a certain extent with nerve damage from my surgery. I have OA in hands, low back and right hip, the left one is already replaced.

good luck to you, Tabstoyou

• Posted

I meant to type:  No effect on my OA

• Posted

Well this is my point. The Gabapentin doesnt help the osteo. I was on 900mg x3 a day and I still felt crap which is why Im weaning myself off it. The same with the Tramadol. The reasoning behind prescribing it was that I had nerve type pains and Gaba is meant to be good for that. Im so sorry to hear of your troubles. You will get back to what you were Im sure. (((Hugs))).
  • Posted

Dear Tab..  I tool Tramadol for years 400 per day.  It wasn't helping at the end and my pain managmt Doc but me on Methdone added to Gab which was a GOD send.  Weaning off medications is a long and careful process.  Its hard to know what causes what when you're doing more one at a time. I have been off Wellbutrin now for 2 months and my pain level ihas ncreased significantly,  But I couldn't stand the "severe irritability" on Wellbutrin.  However now muscle spasms are back and I'm craving food like its going out of style!. I gained 10# in 2 weeks. I realize now after many folkes have told me, keep a diary of symptoms.  There are many new drugs in the USA specific to arthritic pain.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

I just came off gabapentin over a few weeks due to very weird emotional and mental side effects. They were effective for fibromyalgia pain but became less efficient for sleep probs. In fact they caused insomnia. I discovered that magnesium supplements and an oil based magnesium spray reduces muscle spasm and aids sleep. I also found Tramadol weird. I do take amitriptyline over nortriptyline for sleep. But am backvto over the counter snalgesia. I do attend a pain management clinic three times a year for shots to my rib andvlow backbpain. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Also Im in uk and over 60 so all my meds and treatment are free courtesy of our NHS
  • Posted

Hi,I have reduced over the last year daily from 400mg sr tramadol to 100mg and 3600mg gabapentin to 1800mg , its the tramadol I have trouble with like you,so this is what I found best to work,as I too take sr or extended tramadol I ask my dr for tramadol drops, each press of the pump is 12.5mg tramadol,then you just have it when needed,just make a note on paper of how much you have taken,yesterday I took 75mg tramadol drops so I reduced 25mg,you will feel a bit woozy, another way I have found as I suffer from severe nerve pain in both legs is to increase my gabapentin and decrease the tramadol as I find gabapentin easier to reduce than tramadol, ive been on all this for 18 years now,keep reading online and on YouTube etc, but always let your dr and your partener or family, friend know what your doing , keep talking smile
    • Posted

Thanks Dave (love the name btw). I had no idea they did drops! The day before yesterday I had zero Tramadol and yesterday I had 50mg. Didnt sleep very well and had jumpy legs. Im working today so see how that goes. I think the worst thing I ever did was take these meds. I wish I had just stuck to taking meds as and when.
  • Posted

Hi,this is the first time in 18 years that I have not taken tramadol at 6.30am , but I fill ok,I have rang the dr for more 50mg tramadol but in solid tablet form not capsles so if I am desperate I will cut one in half,the name I use is because last year I had a spinal cord stimulation surgery and now have 2 wires in my spine attached to a 9 year memory battery in my arse cheek smile of which helps, so I am the duracell bunny smile
  • Posted

Hi, I think I took the right path by not taking the morning tramadol and I felt ok till lunch time ,Bad headache took aspirin, then fell asleep till 2.30pm and I feel awfull,had an expresso and now bit better,the trouble is my body is so dependant on tramadol and its so easy to give up,the whole reason for stopping is that I have incuured daily headaches caused maybe by a rebound affect of to much pain medication over to many years,as I write this I feel a bit better,tell me did you cut out just the morning or nighttime to,I will as your going through this talk to you about what happenes daily smile and maybe it would help other people,oh I forgot I raised my voice a bit much at my wife over the phone this morning so sorrys will be in order,I did warn her to prepare for a crappy week but she's been my rock since the beggining.at least the suns out so I'm going to take oscar our dog out for a walk, it's good to talk.smile
    • Posted

I was taking 150mg in the morning and at night. The slslow release stuff. I cut the morning one down by going back to the 50mg ones so just went from 100 to 50 to zilch. That wasnt too awful but I thought that as I was taking 300mg of Gabapentin at night, plus 20mg of Nortriptaline I could maybe get away with being a bit more brutal at night and cut the 150mg of Tramadol out completely but it obvipusly doesnt work like that. Its 2.30pm today and Ive had nothing not even paracetamol but I dont feel brilliant. Bit of a temperature, cold hands, brain zaps and feel achey. I will take some paracetamol in a minute and then give in later on and take 50mg of Tramadol if it doesnt get any better.

My reason for stopping all this (or trying!) Is that none of it flipping works! Im no better off than if I just use over the counter stuff and heat pads etc. I still have the pain whatever..Also Ive lost 2 stone since stopping the Gabapentin.

Hope you had a good walk with Oscar. Im sure your wife is used to it. My lovely husband is too!

• Posted

Im just about to walk our 4 dogs and the neughbours collie.
    • Posted

I have read up that for nerve pain ibuprofen or aspirin as a back up if not a mild one,I have lived in southern Germany for the last 3 year's ,minus 12 winter, plus 30..45 summer, not to much rain and here they were amazed at the amount of medication I took and then set forward to trying to help me,electric pulse I have in both legs was done (the pulse reaches the brain quicker than the pain signal ) and the surgeons here are super as are they are in the UK but with one difference the after care is better (good beside manners),I Too am 52yrs young ☺ and our Oscar is a 8yr old white golden retriever, no chewing or barking, he's great and I have no choice good day or bad but to walk him 2 x 30mins a day or more,so I stay the same weight and I feel better.
    • Posted

Ours are 2 yorkies and 2 jack russells one of which is blind. Both the yorkies are a nightmare and pee everywhere. All are rescues. 4 rescue cats too. And one rescue husband who is toilet trained....😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.