Weaning off Sertraline ... yes another one!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Yes another one ... sorry!  I've read some of the other posts on here which, unfortunately in a sad way, have helped me a lot.  I had started to panic but now I know it's absolutely normal and I'm going too fast!  I would like to know where I can find the original article(s) explaining about the "reduce by 10% of original dose etc etc ... "  I'd like to read it in its entirety.  Can anyone help?

Only if anyone wants to know, FYI, my Sertraline Journey ...

I've been on 50mg per day for about 18 months now.  The doctor who prescribed these was my old doctor where I used to live.  He was lovely and so understanding about my issues (which all started when I was admitted to hospital with nothing more than a chest infection back in 2010 but which kicked off all kinds of issues for me that I never thought possible, resulting in overwhelming health anxiety and depression).  Anyway, my old GP was fab and I wish I was still his patient, but we relocated and were forced to change practices.  I am not keen on the new practice.  To be fair to them, they don't know me or my history, but it's interesting to read here that they give poor advice on withdrawal issues.  I wanted to come off the meds as I feel better in myself and thought the time was right.  I do not want to be dependent on them indefinitely so I made the appointment.  I was faced with a trainee - no issues there, they all have to start somewhere.  He advised I reduce to 1 x 50mg every other day for 2 weeks and then just stop.  That sounded like a very short withdrawal so, being wary, I myself made the decision to do this for a few weeks rather than just 2 and then stop.  I was away on vacation when I did stop which I thought was a good idea as my mind would be occupied and initially I was absolutely fine for several days, then BANG!  Panic attacks like never before!!  Claustrophobic issues (I've never suffered with that!).  Agitation.  Insomnia.  Shaking.  The whole lot!!  So, rightly or wrongly, I put myself back on to the 1 x 50mg every other day and things settled down.  I have just tried again to stop - after all, my medically trained GP told me it would be fine, but same again, a few days without issue, then this morning I woke up worse than ever.  So I have taken one today and am going to book an appointment with my GP to get my prescription reinstated because this is going to take a while me thinks!

I am still determined that I want to come off the Sertraline, but it's not going to be a quick process, despite my GP's reassurance that I will be fine after just 2 weeks at a lesser dose.  Hence why I am looking for this information on what your body goes through when withdrawing, the nervous system etc.  I already feel a whole heap calmer while writing this than I did at 6.00am this morning!!!

Thank you for reading x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Aww bless you your doing it right Karen ,I'm going to persevere too as I don't want yo he dependant on them either .i also would like to no what the body goes through during withdrawal.😊

• Posted

Iv just started my journey 50mg 4 weeks ago and my story is identical to yours in way of how it began.. costochondritis ( chest inflammation ) started all of this now I'm depressed and got anxiety and have panic attacks it's all a bit overwhelming ; how long did yous take to kick in as I say I'm on 4 weeks and I felt good one day in the first week and the rest has just been the same as usual pretty much

• Posted

I have to admit when starting on the Sertraline, everything was absolutely fine but I was quite a way along by that time.  I had no side effects whatsoever.  I was so wary of starting taking any drug again for my condition as I had been prescribed Fluoxetine when I first visited my GP in the early days I was "struck down" with this vile anxiety and depression etc and I had an awful experience with those right from day 1, so much so that I refused to take anything and went via the counselling route instead for over 12 months.  That helped me a lot but I went as far as I could with it and that's when my GP prescribed Sertraline.  I have no idea if they work differently or how but the Sertraline was fine.  I must admit, I never got the overwhelming .... WOOHOO I FEEL ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL, I DO NOT HAVE A CARE IN THE WHOLE WORLD ... kind of experience with them, it was more just a ... oh, these are fine, I feel ok, I'll keep going with these...  They seemed to just give me that edge on the day and the strength to believe I could get back to some kind of normality.  I think a big part of my sticking to them was that they made me feel "ok" and like I could manage.  Now I've got as far as I can with them and, like I said, I do not want to just carry on indefinitely so I wanted to give them the shove .... but they seem to like me a bit too much!

• Posted

Yeah I hear you pal, well i hope these tablets help me because iv been like this for a year and im only 23 and cant be bothered being like this the rest of my life 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.