Wearing Boot All Day

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone.  I'm new to the discussion but I'm pretty sure someone in the group will be able to help me.  I had surgery on November 1st and my stitches have been taken out.  My foot is wrapped and I take it off to shower.  I have to wear my boot for another 4 weeks and cannot put pressure on my foot at this time.  I would like to know after 6 weeks is anyone still sleeping in their shoe boot, do you keep it on when you have your foot propped and resting or do you only wear the shoe boot when you are up, about and out.

Thanks for any and all responses

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Boots are designed to protect your food 6/8 weeks. My mom went thru it and was tough but she was tough as nails. I had one bunion done three years ago and Imwas naoto nearly as brave as my mom was. 

Bad feet run in out family.

Follow docs instructions. Rest completely and keep your foot up as much as you can. 

Apply ice to relieve swelling and pain. Use pain meds painkillers that you should take regularly.Avoid bathing a wet dressing increases the risk of infection and tissue loss. Also, getting in and out of the bath could cause you to slip or fall, increasing your risk of displacing/breaking the bones in your foot. I installed tub bars once the incisions heeled and could bathe.

i could take my boot off one stitches were removed, just resting and for sleeping I had a soft boot for support while sleeping, available at any medical supply.

Try to move around with crutches or a stick, but stop if it's painful. Keep your foot raised as much as possible when sitting.Make sure you do your daily exercises

it is a slow go at first and once heeling advances your on to walking without those boots soon!  Take one day at a time . 

• Posted

Hi

I had a big toe fusion so was not allowed to put weight on it for y weeks only with my boot on

I never slept in my boot or when resting right from the time I had my op

I was told I only needed it on for walking

Jane

• Posted

Hi Jane - I also have not worn boot when sleeping or resting. I had my operation on 10th Nov.  Stitches taken out on 22nd Nov and splint put on and only wear my boot when I am walking.  I was told that I could walk about but needed to ensure that I was not on my feet for more than 40 minutes without resting.    I do not walk around much I have got to say and am resting a lot. 

The only thing is myself is that I can feel something moving in my foot and I do not know if this is the rod that has been inserted.  I don't go back to see the Surgeon until 20th November so I hope this is usual.

• Posted

Hi marrie, so what did you have done?  Was your foot wrapped again after the stiches were removed and what sort of shoe did you wear?

I was asked to wear my boot for the total of 4 weeks, but I take them off when I don't walk.

• Posted

Hi Karen

When I had my bunionectomy done, I had to wear the surgical boot 24/7 for six weeks and couldn't get my foot wet before having the stitches out. After that it's best sitting in a shower chair if possible being washed but please make sure you wipe your foot before wearing the boot so that you don't put any pressure on your foot. I wore a sock preventing the boot rubbing on my foot which was a great help.

During the day its best keeping your foot higher than your heart by putting in on a few pillows or cushions when you're not out and about on your crutches. I hope this information has been of some help to you. I'm going in hospital soon having four hammer toes and a bunionette operation done and will have to do the same as mentioned above. (Some people say they don't wear the boot to bed but although its uncomfortable, its best doing so, so that you don't accidently knock your foot causing extreme pain.

• Posted

I am now 10 days post op and still wearing my darco shoe 24/7, but what I would add is that I have a daily shower with my boot inside one of the waterproof limb protectors. Can't rate it highly enough!

• Posted

I wish I knew about the waterproof limb protectors because my operation instead of covering my boot and foot with two plastic bags trying not to get it wet. My stitches were removed last Wednesday after having the bunionette operation but the K-Wires will stay in my toes until January 16.

• Posted

It is strange how they treat this op differently, I had disposble stiches but think the pins stay in.

When I went for my 6 week check I mentioned to the consultant that it would be helpful to know about the waterproof boots for showering before the operation, I ordered mine on line but not everyone is on line so most people want it all organised before the operation.

I lso go back on the 16th so fingers crossed for us

• Posted

Hi Libby

I wish I knew about waterproof limb protectors which would have enabled me standing in the bath showering instead of sitting on a bathboard with two plastic bags on my foot trying to keep it dry while a nurse helped me shower. It would have been so much easier and cheaper for me. Oh well, at least now I know but I'm glad I don't need any more surgery. smile

• Posted

Hi Karen, I am two and a half weeks after the op and hopefuly the recovery is going really well. I was advised to keep the boot on whilst walking but take it off when my foot is up and also sleeping. I feel my foot is more comfortable when it is off and as long as I am not putting weight on the foot I dont know why you would need it on all day? As soon as my foot goes down the boot is back on. I am also using the plastic boot to cover the bandage whilst showering and thats 100% waterproof. I go back to the consultant in a week so am keeping my fingers crossed that everything is okay.

It is strange how we get different advice, when I had back fusion I didnt wear a corset or use crutches but I know someone who was advised to do both of those and we had the same operation.

I wil be back in touch after next week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.