Weather or whether???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone find that the change in weather impacts their Meniere's? We had a cold front come through (Kansas City is home).  We went from almost 79 down into the 30's just like that.  Fullness in ear and tinnitus got worse.  Then there went my balance with mild vertigo.  I stick to a low sodium diet (1000mg or less), no coffee (dang it), maybe three M&M's from time to time (oh boy or boy) and maybe a glass of wine in a blue moon (the biggest thing I miss most of all, you know, that wonderful ruby red, dry wine at the end of a day).  I don't have a spleen resulting in a low immune system that takes me longer to heal than most folks. Am curious if anyone else has problems with the changes in weather or whether I'm just full of.  It has been 5 days now and I'm still feeling the fuzzy brain and moving slow.    

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It is more the barometric air pressure changes that are the culprit. I find the faster the front is moving the worse I can feel. This is what makes me think I had MD for a long time before I was diagnosed. I sudden drop in air pressure, like that found in tornados, would wake me up in the middle of the night. Not because of the verigo or tinnitis, but because it was gone.
  • Posted

Hi,

I keep wondering the same thing.  When a low pressure system is coming in, I seem to have the louder tinnitus and the woozies.  Not quite vertigo, but close to it.  I keep thinking that maybe I should track it to see if it always happens when a low pressure system is on its way.  I've read that other people think weather affects MD, but I don't know if there is any science behind it to back it up.  I also do low sodium, little caffeine (decaf tea - not so great), take a diuretic and am mostly free of vertigo now.  But the woozies do come on from time to time, maybe due to stress, or lack of enough sleep or when a rain/snow storm is coming in. confused

• Posted

ruthie,

Yes!  Chages in barometric pressure definitely effect me, and can easily bring about symptoms.  You're not dreaming....It really does affect a lot of people.  There's an article I read online not long ago with a title something like "People with Vertigo Can Predict the Weather"....something like that, published by the Vistibular Disorders Association.  It's the real deal.....MD: The Gift that keeps on giving! 

Take care,

J

• Posted

I'm in the KC area, too, and I thought the same thing. Started having problems at the same time and it hasn't gone away yet. 

• Posted

Oh the fun we are having in KC.  Warm, cold, warm, cold - I wish it would make up it's mind.  I can certainly relate.  I was off balance this morning and wondered if the drop in temp to 1 degree had something to do with it.  Hang in there.

• Posted

Yes!  Yes! Yes!  My ear is very sensitive to radical shifts in the barometric pressure.  We recently had a huge shift, and my tinnitus and sensation of pressure have been a lot worse.  This week, on the day of the big temperature drop, I had the strangest experience: It was like an attack of vertigo, but without the actual rotation.  I had the total deafness, pressure, crazy loud tinnitus, woozy head, nausea, loss of balance, and the hangover afterward...but no actual vertigo.  Sigh. The fun never ends. 

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

Yes the weather impacts me too - I live in Kansas City and we get all four seasons here. I'm not liking winter at all.  I too get the loss of balance, woozy head, pressure, etc. etc. etc.  Thanks for responding.

• Posted

I'm experiencing the fullness and a horrible roaring that seems to get louder every day. Haven't had the vertigo and vomiting, though, thank goodness. I saw the doctor earlier this week and am taking prednisone but it hasn't kicked in yet. 

• Posted

I was on a diuretic for 6 months, tried prednisone but had two bad vertigo attacks and vomiting.  Doc told me to stop.  I am now on Betahistine 8mg three times a day and on week 4.  Was told it takes 4-6 weeks to kick in.  I think it has helped a little.  No bad episodes just smaller ones.  
    • Posted

I've been on a diuretic since the onset and it was working. This is the first major attack I've had in three years, so I've been lucky. Spoke too soon about the vertigo and vomiting, though. That hit last night, The roaring isn't as bad now but I still have a little of the fullness. I don't think I was watching my sodium intake as well as I thought I was so I think that's at play, too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.