Week 1 of my Achilles rupture

Posted , 14 users are following.

I feel so  useless, having to rely on  someone else to do practically do everything for me. I have had my plaster cast on now for one week, but am not getting on well at all with the crutches, not sure I can take another seven weeks like this !!!!

0 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did you had partial rupture?
    • Posted

Hi to be honest i am not sure as i was in total shock at the hospital , all they said was that i had ruptured my achilles tendon and that it will need to be plastered and to come back and see the orthapedic department in 1 week. Guess i will find out more on Thursday when i have my appointment.

Mandy x

• Posted

Hi Mandy, 

it does get easier. My hands were hurting a lot so my husband devised a better grip system (pipe lagging) to go round the handles little easier on your hands. 

I am now half way through my rupture and hopefully can see some light at the end of the tunnel. In my fifth week. 

Good luck

Karen 

• Posted

Hi Karen, many thanks for your reply, I am really glad that you are doing ok. My problem is that i also have a frozen shoulder and a week left leg ( which is now my good leg) due to previous back surgery , so am really struggling with the crutches, I can manage maybe 8 steps at a time then have to sit down , I have managed to buy a second hand mobilty scooter which his fantastic for outdoors.

I also find it totally impossible to get over door steps with the crutches as i dont' have enough strength to push my self up, I am trying to get a second hand self propelled wheelchair and some ramps for the doors!!

Do you have a full or partial rupture?

Did you have surgery?

How long have they said before you can put any weight on your foot??

Sorry for all the questions it's just that when i done this I was in such shock that i did not really take anything in at the A & E department, i am not even sure if mine is a total or partial rupture, all i remember them saying is that i have reptured my achilles tendon and it will have to be plastered and to come back and see the orthopedic department in 1 week. So guess i will know more on Thursday when i have my appointment.

Mandy xx

• Posted

Hi Mandy

Its your body, doest belong to NHS, so you need to look after yourself, i amsurprised how   come you didnt asked them is it full or  partial rupture? 

Call them tomorrow and ask them!!!

• Posted

Karen

How is life, getting use to it? Must be, with the crutches i had same problem my right hand palm was hurting so the changed my crutches to a different one i think the name was fisher crutches, much friendly that other .

Cheers

• Posted

to be honest before this happened i did not even know what ' An Achilles Rupture was ' so i did not know that you can have a total or partial tear , i will definately be asking questions when i have my follow up appointment.

Mandy

• Posted

Again, always keep in mind, whatever questions are in your mind you must ask there and then, because you are not getting the treatment FREE, you are or had paid taxes .

NHS, is the worst nightmare of any individual. Dont think ever that if you would ask them question that is a rude approach, no.

Its a right approach!!

• Posted

Hi Mandy, 

oh dear you seem to be having a back time. I do feel for you with all your problems. You have to do whatever is best for you.

it is a lot to take in at A & E. I also wasn't aware of part or full rupture or even what Achilles was. All you can do is ask further questions as and when you need it. 

I didn't have surgery and mine was a part tear. Everyone has a different experience so it seems as well as different methodology in recuperation. The whole country has different views. 

Hope all goes well.

karen 

• Posted

Mandy, I had a complete rupture that I had surgery for on December 3, 2013.  I was given an option of surgical or not surgical.  I elected surgery as there is a lower rate of rerupture and the heal time is a bit quicker.  I planed on returning to some sports.  By January 15th or 17th I started to walk with no boot or anything.  And on Jan 24 or 22 I was at work trying to get things done.  Today I've got several issues, but I can work fairly effective on my feet, but therapy is hard to do while I work because it makes it harder for me to stand very long.  I can walk miles, but I won't anymore because I've got tendonitis in both achilles now.

You've been given the nonsurgical route and your experiences will differ from mine.  I just thought I'd share my experience.

• Posted

Hi Imran, 

life is fine, can't wait to take another heel lift out this week leaving me 2 more to go. Have started doing some simple exercises myself although not physio just feel I am ready naff want to. Yes crutches are hurting but have adapted mine as my hands are killing me. I feel I ned to patient some new ones with a better hand grip.

karen

• Posted

4 weeks finished and today i went for another check they removed plaster and doc checked and strength is back and tendon intact. He put me on weight bearing boot and asked me to walk and put another plaster with the boot. Said in next two weeks, you will be all ok to walk.
  • Posted

Hi Mandy , sorry to hear about your archilles. Sounds like you and I had it happen about the same time (well my surgery was about a week ago, but it actually happened about 2.5 weeks ago!). Mine is a complete rupture. I know what you mean about feeling useless and having everyone do everything for you. I have 2 small kids (6 maths and 3.5yr) and it's so hard not being able to look after them properly. 
    • Posted

You poor thing , I can't image how hard it must be for you with 2 very young children to look after, my children are grown up , so it's just myself and my husband and i am struggling.

Why did they wait about 1.5 weeks after your rupture to operate ?

I am not even sure if mine is a complete ruputure or partial - all they said at A & E was that i had ruptured my achilles tendon and then put it in plaster and made me an appointment to come back to the orthapedic clinic this Thursday.

Mandy x

• Posted

I guess it's good that you have an appointment soon so you can check with them. I have been told to keep it elevated and not move it as much as possible, until my next appointment which is next Monday.  I hope for your sake it's partial. If it was a complete rupture, you would have thought they would have offered surgery??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.