Week 2

Posted , 3 users are following.

So im now on week 2, Week 1 was fine thank god i did have one morning where i had a slight upset stomach but other than that all good.

Im doing a tapering withdrawal. 

Im lucky in where i have drastically cut back from 8 8mg co-codamol tabs every 2 hours to 3 8mg tabs in morning and then 2 8mg tabs every 2 hours. I done this due to fact that every time i took 8 i would feel sick and so i gradually took one less every week and stayed on the 2 8mg every 2 hours for past 6 months. I then decided enough is enough, im fed up with going miles out my way to get a pack of co-codamol or getting funny looks or having to remember where i last got a pack and how long ago since i went to that pharmacy. I started to feel like a criminal and it made me question why i do this.

So here i am still determined and on week 2. 2 8mg tabs first thing and alternating between 1 8mg and 2 8mg tabs every 2 hours. And i feel good. Next week, week 3 i just take 2 8mg tabs first thing and then 1 8mg tab every 2 hours and then weeks after i feel will be slighly harder as i need to make the gap in between longer and then longer and i also have to drop 1 8mg tab in the morning.

I know to some this is not much but its about knowing its still in the system. I am determined to do this and  rid myself of this i just do not want to suffer, i feel this way will take longer but in the end the result is the same CO-CODAMOL FREE smile

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teresa,

Great! Do it at your own pace and at your comfort levels. I'm fascinated by the whole addiction issue so began a diary / blog which has to date reached 54,000 words! 

Addictions are fairy similar in that they are cyclic. I learned a very useful technique called the '3 D's. When the pang hits you to drive you towards the nemisis, the first D is Delay; ie stop everything, don't take anything and then engage the 2nd D, whih is distract yourself. This is pretty hard, but think of something wildly opposite as pangs go in cycles what that means is they do go, and if you can distract yourself for 20 -30 minutes without using, do it. Then the third D is Decide. To take or not to take. Generally, the cycle will have passed.

What I'm trying not to do is obsess about stopping. This is very hard, because I'm obssessive by nature! I play guitar and I'm taking up art - whatever you do, it's one thing to stop, but equally important to try to understand why one feels the need to get off ones face - and if you have too much time to think, that in itself can be sufficient to generate a cyclic pang. And try and keep things simple, keep a journal and refer back to it. You'll do it, I'm happy to help.

Rich 

• Posted

Well done Teresa. Keep going and keep letting us know how you're doing. It's inspiration to many here. Love and best wishes. Drew x

• Posted

Thanks Drew, wow today i am counting down the hors to the next pill. What a difference a day makes?  Determined to keep going but do keep saying to myself just take 3-4 tabs just this once, but so far ive not. I really dont want to cave and give it as i know i will regret.

Thanks for your support.

• Posted

Stick to your guns. That's what happened to me. I just took a few to take the edge of. Before I knew it, I was back to taking 64+ per day. Be strong if you can xxx

• Posted

I am trying but today i really do not feel myself. I feel really anxious and have a  cloudy head. Yesterday was fine.

Its amazing how much an over the counter drug which is so harmless to some can cause so much harm to another person, if had know really the effects of coming of this i would of thought twice, now im just ready to give up but on other hand i so want a clean life. Just want to curl up in a ball and go sleep for next few weeks and wake up when its all over(if only life was so easy) Its hard carrying on with normal everyday tasks and being normal around family and co-workers.

Thanks for your words of wisdom and advice. I noticed on alot of posts you really have given good advice you should feel proud of yourself for trying to help so many people me inculded. Thanks smile

• Posted

Hi Teresa. What you are feeling is normal. When I tried, it was day three when I really felt awful. My head was cloudy and I couldn't think straight. I lacked enough courage and started again because I couldn't function normally around my family. I regret starting again because the three days took a lot out of me and I wasted an opportunity. Try as hard as you can to get through. Nikki has given some super advice on this. Try a nice hot bath and see if you can get to sleep and get through another day. Best of luck. Drew xxx

• Posted

Hi Drew, Thanks for advice.

Day 3 not so bad, better than yestreday. Still counting down miutes till next tab, think most of it is in my head.

Managed to sleep but did suffer with slighly restless legs. Anyone have any times how to cure this, its alwful.

• Posted

Hi Teresa. Well done. I remember reading someone saying try hot baths for the restless legs. I had this when I stopped last. It's really frustrating when you're trying to sleep. A hot shower helped me. Take care. Keep strong... Drew x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.