Week 3

Posted , 7 users are following.

So here i am week 3.......

I feel so apprenhive about this week for some reason?

On week 2 i was taking 2 tabs in morning and then alternating between 1 and 2 tabs every 2 hours, this week i am taking 2 tabs in morning and then 1 tab every 2 hours. I feel so nervous and a small part of me does not want to go any further i feel i just having cut back from 16 a day to 11 tabs a day is an achivement and feel proud as this is the least amount of tabs i have taken in 2 1/2 years. But i also really really want to go all the way in the sense that my aim is to be codeine free by xmas . I know i can do this but change is hard and i admit at this present time 2 mins away from taking my 1st 1 tab i am having serious doubts.

Is this normal?

Why am i feeling like this?

I feel weak that i am considering giving in at this stage.

Last week i felt stronger and more determined than this.

On a plus side i have hardly visited any pharmacies for my weeks supply and strangely am missing them. lol

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Teresa, 

Don't even think about giving up at this stage, you've come so far! I know what you mean about week two. Week one your all reved up, enthusiasm raging...but then that wears off and the reality of the path ahead kicks in. You're bound to have your moments but just remind yourself of all the benefits of being codeine free, health, head, financially. No more walks of shame out of the pharmacy. Today I don't have work until later so I'm going to give my house an autumn clean, book a fitness class and soldier on!

Keep on sweets xxx

• Posted

Firstly, we're human! Addictions or not, we all have mood swings, but in the midst of a codeine crisis, it's only natural to point the finger at codeine. You say in week 2, you had 2 in the morning and were alternating between 1 and 2 ever 2 hours, and now, week 3, it's 2 in the morning, and 1 every two hours. May I ask what strength these tablets are?

Whatever, week 2 was alternating between one and two every two hours, which you've done and week 3, try perhaps one and a half, and instead of every week, try ever two weeks so your body gets a chance to adjust.

This way, you'll have 8 halfs over 8 weeks to deal with. Make no mistake though and do not underestimate the power of codeine - a large part of this is habit, and a fear of not having or losing a crutch - it's quite normal. When I was 20, I coined a phrase called FOBRO - Fear of booze running out. A bit of fun, but it's true, we do have a fear of things running out - just another thing to address I guess.

In a nutshell, yes, it's normal and you feel like this because that is your body 'punishing you' for denying it. As we have mood swings or cycles, then reassure yourself that that feeling of feeling strong and determined will return.

Hope this helps,

Rich

• Posted

Hi, I couldn't do what you have, taper off, I just want more when they are there. I've gone cold turkey and I'm now on day 6.

They are still bound to be a crutch for you and because you know you need to cut down makes you want more... It's human nature. Like telling kids not to touch something, it makes them touch it.

It's great you felt strong last week. Did you do anything else differently like exercise or talking to people about it?

Don't take more than the one you promised yourself. Think how proud you'll be. You can do it.

K

• Posted

Hi Katy , i kept myself really buy at work and i now plan on the doing the same again this week.

I am starting to reliase it is all mostly in my head, i need to break the cycle.

Well done to you for going cold turkey that must of been hard? How do you feel knowing that you have been codeine free for 6 days.

Did you suffer badly?

Keep up the hard work, you can do it. It will be well worth it at the end. x

• Posted

Hi,

Going cold turkey was the only way I knew I could do it but actually doing it was quite a milestone. I waited until I had run out of my prescription, made sure I didn't order another, and I saw my doctor about my contraceptive pill, although I didn't give much away about my cocodamol dependency. He did say to me that my frequency of ordering meant I was taking some serious pain relief. That scared me, especially when he said long term use can affect my mood and potentially damage my liver and kidneys.

So, I decided, that was it. And I haven't taken one since. So yes, day 6. I was topping up my 30/500's with across the counter cocodamol so I thought I was in for a hard time.

I did the same as you and kept myself busy at work which helped a bit, and to be honest, has it been hard, yes, but have I felt myself waiver or want to give in, no. The first few days were the worst, I was in pain, my legs were killing me, my tummy hurt and I had the runs but by day 4 it was calming down, and day 6, the only thing I think is not quite recovered yet is my energy levels and sleep pattern but that is bound to take a while.

I'm feeling better inside, I'm not tired even though I expected to be with less sleep, I am eating properly, making sure I still get out with the dog twice a day, taking vitamins and looking forward to the rewards I have planned for myself when I reach various milestones.

Best thing I ever did. I'm sure I may still have a bad day or two but nothing will get me back on those pills!

Here if you need to talk though. You can do it too, like you say, once you break that mental cycle telling you to have a dose... Or two!

K xx

• Posted

Day 6 is very cool. From my personal experience of cold turkey was I was challenged at day 10. You've definitely broke the cycle. Good on you! 

Best,

Rich

• Posted

Hi am on week 2 and feel like am so up and down with my self . And can't sleep 😴 properly i give in last nite and ad a. Amitriptyline Slept like a baby but feel so ruff to day just feel like am on a rollercoaster thanks John x

• Posted

Hi John, 

Week 2 well done, i can toatlly relate to you i also did find my moods switching from happy, depressed and sad. I know from what i have read on other posts that these symptoms are short lived and then we should be back to our normal self if we can even remember who that is.

Stay strong and keep going. You can do this.

• Posted

Just think how brilliant it would be to never visit a pharmacy or, if you do, that it is for a genuine normal reason. I think you are missing the habit. Try not to let your resolve go. You can do this. You've done very well so far x Drew

• Posted

Hi Drew, i know i cant wait. I do still think i will be looking for the codeine products on the shelves just not buying hopefully. I stayed strong but feel ileft myself down slightly. I was in a meeting when i was due to take a tab, i was busy and never really thought anything of it but when i got out 1 1/2 hrs after i was due to take tab i thought sod it a took the missed pill and my next one together. Feel disappointed that i could not just leave it out totally but on a plus i took no extra tabs in the day.

I do think you are right in it being the habit i just need to find a new habit, a good habit. I plan on sorting out my codeine addiction before xmas and then after tackling my weight issues, i use to be slim but i found the high from codeine like being slightly drunk where you want a g ood old munch and so i munched and now i am very overweight. Seems right now i have many issues to deal with but am trying to think with a straight head and tackle one at a time one day at a time however long it takes.

Thanks, i appericate the apperication smile

• Posted

Hi Teresa. I want to deal with mine before Christmas. Last year, I had a far from normal one. The pharmacists are shut and it is really difficult.. I never want to visit relatives because I can't eat meals without feeling groggy. When I eat a large meal, I have to have twice the amount of codeine to recover from the sluggishness... then come the awful stomach cramps. What a mess! You are doing well. Don't beat yourself up over the odd tablet... the trick is to keep the overall trend downwards! Good luck and I hope you beat this xx D

• Posted

Hi Drew are you on co-codamal or N+?

I feel for you, its nothing worse than the codeine sickness.

Its strange how it affects people differently. I could eat for England, i loved the high the feeling when you had a drink and you want to just eat anything in sight, thats me, hence why i am overweight.

I know how anxious the xmas period can be, many pharmacists are closed and there are only a few to visit but that then leads to them catching on to you. I use to stock pile the few weeks leading up, as a matter of fact i use to always stock pile for the week ahead, i needed to know that i had my fix for the week. These last few weeks i have just been getting them as a when i need them so i am taking that as a good sign.

Your help and advice like many others on here is really helping me. I was unaware just how serious this addiction is and how wide spread.

You can beat this but like all addictions you have to be ready and it has to be the right time for you. That is what i have learnt from this i am just now at the stage where i am fed up with this addiction. I am hoping that my mood swings which are alwful, one minute i feel happy, elated the next i am short and sharp tempered for no apparent reason to myself or anyone else , i bite really easily on the smallest thing mentioned to me i just hope that i go back to me???

• Posted

Thank you so much Teresa. Your words are always helpful. We seem to be building a lovely community of people who are suffering from this horrible addiction. Yes, for me, it has really affected my eating. If I eat, I feel groggy and have to take more codeine to feel human. My stomach always aches too and I get constipated. By the way, it's NP I'm on. It shows how crazy this is because I won't take co-codomol because I know that paracetomol affcts the liver. Instead I am ruining my stomach with ibuprofen... so stupid. I hope you are ok. Keep going strong xx Drew

• Posted

Hi Drew,

As we all know this addiction is awful. Once you are ready you can find the way off them that works for you, I know that some have said tapering doesn't work and nor does cold turkey but I think that depends on the person. I'm on day 9 of cold turkey now, I knew it was my only way, coming off everything immediately, I was taking prescription cocodamol 30/500 and N+ to top me up. I have to say that although physically it's been hard and painful, I haven't suffered really bad cravings yet, maybe I'm a lucky one. I'm just so proud to be rid of the drug.

I feel a bit better each day, I can feel the real me coming back and I'm getting excited about things and planning things with family and friends that I have always wanted to do.

Maybe I'm a lucky one, but I like to think my sheer determination is what got me through. That and a hot water bottle for my achy legs, lots of good films for the sleepless nights, healthy eating and vitamins. I've kept working, I work from home which helps, but it's been a nice distraction.

I will have tough days I'm sure. But I'm clean. That's all that matters.

When you are ready, you can do it. Be strong, use your support and think of the accomplishment when you do it!

Here for you. Xx

• Posted

Oh wow. Thanks for taking the trouble to say that. It gives me hope. I admire your approach and know it is the right one for me. I will let you know when I start. Love Drew x
    • Posted

Hi Drew, you're absolutely right about building this caring non judgemental community. I'm trying to look beyond my addiction and trying to work out why exactly I started. I guess I've always had an addictive personality, and from an early age felt that whatever I did job wise had to have worth and meaning apart from simply paying the bills. Naturally, this is a tough route to take, as I'm unlikely to 'get a job' playing my guitar. I began a freelance vocation film-making and this is where I think the route to N+ began, for as I was about to begin my marketing plan, executing my business plan so to speak, I had a heart attack (at 52), which literally flawed me, and sent me into a downward spiral of depression - and alcohol. I kicked the alcohol and replaced it with Nurofen Plus - for 2 and a half years. Still, I'm stubborn and the depression is lifting like a dense fog to reveal sunnier patches in my head. But your N+ choice over co-codomol, I totally get, for I'm afraid of the effect paracetomol has on the liver, but did you read the bit about the relapse I suffered? It was 88. I told my extremely alarmed doctor it was 64, and after some phone calls, I was handed a letter by the surgery telling me to go to the emergency unit immediately. No A&E, straight to hospital, and after a thousand tests, I was ok. My next script wasn't until Friday, so What did I do for Thursday? 48 N+. After that - it's crazy. If you have spare days, I'm not a cold turkey type, I'm not strong enough, but katyp, on day 9 - wow, that is fantastic - because physically, that's all it takes. I've come back to my senses since joining this forum; I will make that documentary, and I believe the root cause was depression, which is being managed. You have support Drew, always. All the best, get that strong head on and build on it.

• Posted

Hey Rich. Thatnks for that great post. Yes, keep that strong head on. I lied to my GP too. I told him it was 40 NP but it was really 80. Absolutely crackers! Please make your film. There are plenty here in our little community who would be in it. Love Drew x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.