Week 3 and sudden spike in anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm now a little bit past week 3 and I've had a sudden spike in anxiety. Mostly centered around my fear of derealization, and what if I have a metal illness worse than anxiety/ocd such as schizophrenia or psychosis. Last night I had a sudden bad panic attack, feeling somewhat better today but still uneasy. I'm at 40mg ...is this normal 3 weeks in? I know that fluoxetine takes a long time to work...

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm at Day 24, so just over 3 weeks, and have noticed the same. My anxiety is particularly bad in the morning but never completely settles down. Also still having side effects. The worst one being dizziness that comes and goes. While all of this is frustrating, I do believe it's "normal" at this stage and we just need to be patient. Hang in there! Xxx

• Posted

Yeah, my anxiety is usually worse in the morning then the night. And I find if I take naps waking up gives me a sense of anxiety. It's good to know that people are feeling the same way especially at a similar time that I am. I'm hoping that it will get better soon. It's just tiring feeling like this.

• Posted

It is normal Hun am on week 6 today , an today is the first time I have been feeling great , I no it's a long struggle to get to were you want to be but carry on you can do it an should start feeling better soon , just speak to people you feel comfy round , even on here there's always someone for a gab an reassurance xxx

• Posted

Thanks it makes me feel better knowing that other people are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully this means I'm half way there and soon I'll start to feel better. These message boards have really helped me.

• Posted

Hi Claire,

It's absolutely normal, weeks 2 and 3 were the hardest for me mentally which seems to be quite common for people. Ive been on fluoxetine for 8 weeks now and i have not had a panic attack for 4 weeks, which is a huge improvement because I was having them daily for 2-3 months before then.

I have exactly the same fear as you by the way. Just remember people in psychosis or with skizophrenia don't question their mental state. They believe everything they think, hear or see. These thoughts are just a result of your current mind state and you will start to feel much better in the coming weeks ?

• Posted

That's good to know that your panic attacks have stopped. I hope I get to that point soon because it's been exhausting. Yeah my parents and friends tell me to stop worrying about psychosis and just focus on conquering my anxiety. I think that derealization and the general uneasiness I've been feeling is the worst. Mostly because you feel like you have absolutely no control and you not even sure why you are anxious

• Posted

Ps. I had awful derealization too in the early days. I felt like i was stuck in a dream/nightmare. It was so weird going outside, i felt like I was on another planet.
  • Posted

Hi Claire - like Jayne said there is always someone on this forum to help you out, chat, give encouragement or just share their story. I am only on day 6 but I have found this forum to be SO helpful, even just reading that others go through/have gone through what I am experiencing is so calming for me. Check out the threads and I'm certain you will feel the same. Hang in there xo 

• Posted

Hopefully we are both well on our way to feeling better. I think oneveryone of the scariest parts was even starting the medication. The message boards here have really helped me feel better about what's going on and not feel so alone and scared.

• Posted

I used Flu in the past so for me it wasn't really too hard to start it back up, but the side effects have been much worse for me this time. I keep telling myself just stay the course and everything will clear up in a few weeks. It helped me tremendously when I took it before so that's what I'm holding on to now. It's different for everybody and everybody's time line is different but it definitely helps to read everyone else's stories. 

• Posted

Yes, perfectly normal.  On the road to recovery you'll get many surges of anxiety coming back.  Even when you start feeling well you'll get the occasional time when it happens.  It will stop eventually.  Just try and let it all be there and wash over you, relax to them and just let your body go, releasing tension.  This is your body adjusting to the meds and recovering.

K x

• Posted

Yeah I figured that I would have some anxiety on and off but I was really hoping it would be more mild. I hoping that in the next few weeks I get over this hump of worry and uneasiness. Really hoping things only go up from here. My dad says the same thing about letting the feeling was just over you. That it really helps so I'll try doing that.

• Posted

Thank you guys this means a lot and helps me relax a bit. Yeah mid week 2 through week 3 has been on and off anxiety and slight panic. I'm hoping that in the next few weeks things will get better. One of my big fears has always been pyschosis...cause I've always been anxious/ocd. It's just become an irrational fear of mine...no one in my family has it and I'm 25 and don't do drugs or drink so I'm hoping that helps my chances lessen. I'm just exhausted from this roller coaster ride.

• Posted

That's the nature of the anxiety beast, isn't it? You get a thought in your head and no matter how irrational you KNOW it is, you just can't tame it. I know it's like that for me at least. I have read weeks 2-3 on average are the worst so hopefully you are almost over the hump. We are all here for you xo 

• Posted

That is so true. My thoughts get ridiculous - it is so frustrating bc I know they don't make sense, I can see myself spiraling out of control with them, but when I'm not medicated there's not a thing in the world I can do to stop it.

• Posted

I feel the same way and it's so tiring. I definiently notice my ocd a lot more when I'm not on my medication. I was on sertaline before this medication but after 15 years on and off I don't think it worked the same for me anymore so I basically had to start from square one. It's super difficult knowing I can feel good but having to deal with feeling like this for so long.

• Posted

Yeah you can tell yourself it's silly and unnessesary all you want but it's still there behaving like you need it. It's difficult to get it under control CBT has been helping me some but I know I'm still in the early phases of it so I still have a long way to go. I'm hoping for good results with CBT and medication. Yeah I seem to notice a lot of people here have really difficult weeks around 2-3 and sometimes 4 so I'm hoping that means that I'm close to the end. It's so great to know that there are people here to talk to and that understand what's going on. It really helps.

• Posted

I want to ask my doctor about doing CBT. He was basically just like, yeah take one a day and you'll feel awesome in 4 weeks. No mention of side effects or of anxiety possibly getting worse. Like you said it is SO frustrating knowing that you have the capability of feeling good but also knowing you might have a very long road in getting there sad

• Posted

I think cbt really is a good route, for me it's been slow but I really think it's helping. And honestly having someone to talk to every week. My phyciatrist is one that still does talk therapy but right now I see him every month so it's nice to have someone every week. Had a difficult day today. Just felt foguy with anxiety , had a brief panic attack that I'm still coming down from...mostly about derealization and reality.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.