Week 8; have stopped taking flu starting to feel low again

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm onto about my 8th week of fluox though for the past week or 2 I've been really slack with it and have only taken it about 2 or 3 times maybe? I must admit that up until now I've been feeling really good! I've been pretty much clear of anxiety and depression which is amazing yet I do think I've taken advantage of that and potentially put myself at risk. I'm not really suppose to be drinking alcohol yet I do it anyway and for the past two weeks I've been drinking it 4-5 times a week. And not just small amounts but quite a lot! My best friends and I have been gotten into the clubbing scene lately which has influenced this too. I've consumed a lot these past few nights and my sleeping pattern is so bad at the moment. A couple times out I've been getting really really intense depersonalisation, to the point where I I've got to pinch myself to remind myself I actually am in present. And then il feel every now and then the next day on and so fourth. I know I need to slow down and I need to give my body a rest which I intend too, but am I feeling this way due to the alcohol or because I'm taking my medication properly? I don't want to be drinking alcohol the way I am but I actually crave the feeling of being drunk at this point and I'm quite concerned for my health which should be my first priority. i don't know what to do rolleyes

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kasey, I definetly think its the alcohol making you feel this way, you say your drinking 4-5 times a week? So pretty much everyday you must be feeling a little hungover, taking the tables on top won't do you any favours iv heard it can intensify the hangovers, if your working as well and not getting much sleep you have a recipe for disaster! I would say that maybe you need to lay of the drink whilst your on fluoxetine or at least reduce your daily intake, look after yourself you don't want to come crashing down, looks like this post is picking up again so please don't suffer alone, talking is a therapy in itself!
  • Posted

What to do? I think you know the answer to that, Kasey.Alcohol will never put you in a place to sort out your problems whereas seratonin re-uptake will.

You say you crave the feeling of drunkeness. That sounds like a really dangerous place to be.

I hope you make a choice good for you.

• Posted

Not taking the tablets regularly will make you feel bad, so will drinking too much.

I'm not sure if you have social anxiety, but drinking makes that seem better at the time, but is not helpful in the long term and makes depression worse.

I have read before that some people can crave alcohol after taking SSRI antidepressants, possibly linked to mild mania.

It is important to take the tablets every day and discuss with your doctor if you think you have been feeling a bit manic.

Ideally you shouldn't drink anything, at least when starting antidepressants, but realisticly if you limit to a couple of drinks you will not feel so bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.