Week four Achelleis Tendon operation,

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi have recently had operation on my achelles tendon, I am week 4 and in my third plaster cast. My foot has now been put in a position that is almost flat.. I am getting a slight nagging pain in the tendon, am I to assume this is quite normal at this stage ? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I would get it checked out asap to exclude a dvt.

• Posted

It's not in the calf, it's at the side of my heel... It started as soon as the position of my foot changed.. X
  • Posted

i would say so as the achilles is going to be quite stiff. ring them and tell them though. it wont hurt
    • Posted

Hi James, thank you, I did sort of mention it when I very briefly saw my consultant after they plastered my leg.. I said the same as you and he briefly agreed. However I just wanted to see what it was like for others. My guess is that my ankle is going to be very painful when the plaster comes off..and its going to be a long hard road to recovery..😕
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

Most of my pain has not been in the AT other than when I ruptured it, and that was gone after about an hour. Since I've been out of a cast and boot I'm mostly bothered by the inside of my ankle and my heel. To alleviate the heel pain I wear shoes with heel cup from the moment I get up til I go back to bed. For the ankle, my physiotherapist manipulated my whole foot to loosen up all the small bones that had their movement inhibited by the swelling in my foot. It took 3 1 hour visits to fix that up along with my normal ankle stretching excercises. I still have a little pain in the ankle when I first get up in the morning but stretching it out helps.

There are days though when I get frustrated with my perceived lack of improvement. I saw a fellow on Thursday who ruptured his AT on the 3rd of June, 2 weeks before me, and he was still in a boot so I feel a little better about my progress. The Dr. has me off work for another month and a graduated return following that. He also told me to expect to feel the effects for another year, and that when I next go for my Island vacation to sit on the beach and not walk through the tidal pools smile

• Posted

AsHi timinbc, thank you for that, it just goes to show how long these things take to mend. I did not have a rupture, I had a haglands deformity removed, ( a large lump of bone removed from heel,) a bursa removed and the tendon repaired to remove all the damage to my achellies causing achellies tendonitis... My pain is like yours, on the inside of the tendon, the back of the tendon, and going up to the calf.. It's like a very painful dull ache. All this since the position of my foot changing to almost flat. I guess stretching the tendon slightly.. Most interested to hear from anyone who has expirienced any typ of pain..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.