Weight gain an adverse affect of discontinuing citalopram

Posted , 43 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi I was put on citalopram for a few months, within a month of stopping I started to gain weight within 6-8 weeks I was 2.5 dress sizes bigger and for 5yrs I exercised twice a day burned 2000 cals and ate under 1000 a day and couldn't shift the weight. The doctors did all sorts of tests and nothing came up. Thats when my normal happy life stopped i only went on them because i was ancious about a break up. I continued visiting the doctor with new research as to what it may be. Then 11 months ago something happened and I was prescribed citalopram again and within a few months I'd lost the weight I just assumed it was stress but I exercised less and ate more which was odd. Then 4months ago I came off the citalopram and got my energy back and started running again but started gaining weight and within 6/8 wks I was 2dress sizes bigger which is when I started researching citalopram I found American forums with many people in the same situation and someone called it paradoxical weight gain iv been in touch with lundbeck the makers of the drug but they so say have had no reports. This I find hard to believe there are so many people with the same reaction on the American sites. Also in the research iv done there are studies in animals that suggest the brain does not renormalise after coming off citalopram and they deny this could have anything to do with weight gain. How can it not? Your body needs serotonin and tryptophan receptors to burn fat, if this function does not renormalise surely it can affect weight?? Does anyone have anything to help me?? I'm thinking of taking them to court as I am now depressed on diazipam having panic attacks all because I was a little anxious about a break up 6 yrs ago. Please help if you know anything x

4 likes, 73 replies

73 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I thought I was the only one. I stopped taking it and I eat healthy run crossfit work a physical job, and found out today from my nurse. Me quitting the medicine was causing me weight gain bloat depressed behavior. I feel like a big swollen blimp I've even been juicing detoxing and still gaining. My baggy jeans are suckling the life our of me. I'm hating these side effects I'm going back on the med because I hate this fat feeling. First time ever have took a drug with this negative of a side effect :*(
    • Posted

Katherine,

I completely understand the struggle you're going through right now. It's one of the most helpless feelings in the world & there is very little that someone who hasn't experienced it can say to make it any easier (& unfortunately, there's not a ton that someone who has experienced can say to make it better, but at least there are people who are going through it right along with you!).

Just keep your head up. Keep eating well & remain active. I found that when I did detoxes and things of that nature that they actually had a negative effect & would cause additional weight gain when I would do them after discontinuing Citalopram. (Don't ask me how or why...but I did a 3 day fast of only water with lemon as per request of a naturopathic doctor I was seeing and I steadily gained weight each day of the detox and did not lose it back until getting back on the medication.)

I hate to encourage you to get back on it if you are happier with yourself not being on it... But I do absolutely understand the feeling of having to get back on it for fear of additional weight gain.

Please keep us posted on what you decide & how things are coming along.

I will keep you in my prayers!

• Posted

Thank you so much I will keep you updated you keep me updated on yourself as, well. I will also pray for you. Thanks again smile
  • Posted

I am astonished that I'm not the only one. I stopped citalopram 6weeks ago and have gained a stone in weight despite running and doing boot camp 5 times a week and eating a super healthy diet, my boobs have gone from a c cup to DD and are heavy and sore( and no I'm not pregnant!!!) and I feel like I have permanent PMT, today my husband fed up with my grow hipness suggested I go back on citalopram. Glad to hear it's not just me and really hoping I lose the weight
  • Posted

I actually gained 18 lbs on citalopram over two years (I'm only 5'2" so that's a lot for me) and I was so upset. I came off it and gained about 8 more lbs! I'm nearly 30 lbs over weight and don't know what to do anymore. I never ever struggled with my weight until I took this stupid drug. Granted I "needed" it because I was so depressed. But NONE of my clothes fit. It sucks so much. I wish I had a revelation but it's just more of the same. I tried a water fast too but ended up in the hospital dehydrated (because the water flushed out all of the electrolytes apparently). I just want to be myself again. I'm trying now to eat less and eat healthy. I've tried running two miles a day for two weeks straight and I still gained weight. I literally hate this "medicine." Can we start an anti citalopram club?
  • Posted

I'm soooo glad I found this discussion! I am going batty! I have been off citalopram for about a month and have gained 20lbs! I did not gain anything while on the meds. I have been so depressed. I won't get changed infront of my husband, I have been watching everything I eat, and still gaining! I think I may go back on a half dose and see if the weight at least stabilizes.
  • Posted

I am both relieved and terrified to have found this discussion. I decided to slowly taper off citalopram about 3 months ago. I was on 30 mg and right now I'm just down to 10mg. I have planned to be fully off of it in another month. But since quiting it my weight has just gone up and up. I'm in a complete panic. I am in recovery for an eating disorder and have had my weight stable for almost a year now. I know some would think that I should be okay with my weight but its still an area of great struggle for me mentally. I had however managed to keep my weight in this healthy range and got somewhat used to that weight. Now I'm up 7 pounds. I know that may not seem drastic but for me it really is. I have not changed my diet. I eat healthy and exercise and take care of myself. I cannot take my weight being up any and I'm absolutly terrified of it going up more again. It seems every time I step on the scale the number is rising. 

I meet with my psychiatrist next week to discus how my taper off Cit. is going and i honestly don't know what to tell her. I want to be off this medicine really badly. I do not feel more depressed since tapering from the dose I was on. I find it ridiculous for me to go back to that higher dose when mentally I dont need it. I hate that this weight gain is happening. I had always heard of Citalopram causing weight gain but never of coming off of it causing weight gain. I honestly probably would've never started coming off if I knew this was even an option. 

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear that you, too, are experiencing this. I am also recovering from an eating disorder and I was placed on this medication as a way to help alleviate some of my symptoms. I have tried tapering off of it several times, only to have my weight increase & force me to get back on it. Something that I am in the process of getting started that I would recommend to you is bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. The reason this may help is because citalopram alters the levels of certain hormones even after it is no longer being taken. In order to get these hormone levels back where they need to be, they need to be slowly reintroduced to the body & the body can then begin to produce them for itself as it once did before citalopram was in the picture. Hopefully this provides you with some hope that you don't have to stay on it forever and that there is hope for you to achieve and maintain a weight that you are comfortable with, without having to stay on a medication that you no longer really need.

Please keep us all updated on your experiences and your journey!!

• Posted

Thank you for your support. I appreciate it! 

I truly hope that I can fully get off citalopram and not have to go back on it. I know if I keep gaining though, I will have to do something about it. I'll look into the hormone replacement! I know I have done reading on hormones before and have wondered if I have imbalances. I'm going to really try and do better for my body and hope to god this weight goes away. 

• Posted

I came across this thread by googling"stopping Celexa weight gain" as I just went off the medication about 10 days ago and have already 6 pounds! I have been on Celexa for 12+ years with my highest dosage being at 80mg, but Ive been on 20 mg for the past 5 years or so.

I am very fit- I run, cycle and do strength training. I eat healthy and I am very health conscious. I am almost 29, 5'6" and my weight has been 121-125 over the last year... The day I went off Celexa, I was 123, but I am 129 as of this morning.... So incredibly frustrating and I am terrified of what is to come as I was already in tears in this morning about this weight gain as I seem to have no control over it. I am seriously considering going back on 10mg. I emailed my doctor and am still waiting for a response...

Would love to get continued feedback and support from this group. Good to know I'm not the only one.... (I could've sworn going off an SSRI caused weight loss though!)

• Posted

This is all so hard to read. I just got prescribed citalopram before the beginning of this month for my anxiety. I've only been taking it for three days and so I've been extra curious about what could happen if I continue to take it. I've been on a strict diet and I've been working out for 3 months now and I've lost a good amount of weight, but I've heard how citalopram can make a person experience both weight gain and loss so I'm extra curious about the affects because at this point I can't afford to experience a weight gain. I'm sure I sound silly asking about this because maybe it's common sense that if you're on a medication for 3 days, then the medicine hasn't completely taken its toll on your body and getting off won't do anything compared to how y'all have been on it for months and years.. But I need more of a reassurance. I'm only 19 and I'm in college and I fear that gaining weight will hurt me more and give me more anxiety. I feel I can control my personal issues without medication and I don't want to continue to take citalopram, especially if getting off in the future will make me gain weight. I just need to know if I get off my medication after 3 days, do you think I will experience the same symptoms?
  • Posted

Hi, has anyone who posted on this thread a while ago actually lost there weight gradually yet or have people gone back on it, just wanted to know if it does actually come off in time xx
  • Posted

Anyone had any luck loosing this weight?  If so how long did it take to get back to your regular weight after stopping medication?  Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.