weight gain and Methotrexate

Posted , 37 users are following.

I have using methotreate for almost 3 months I am on 20 mg once a week.... and I have now gained 10lbs.... I was wondering if this a common side effect for others.....

thanks

4 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello. I gained weight too but when I mentioned this to the consultant I was told that there was no reason for weight gain and to watch what I eat. I have lost weight since but only by eating next to nothing, so it will be interesting to see what others say.
    • Posted

I have gained weight too.  It doesn't help that I have to take my steroids and sulphsalazine with a meal.  I am on 20mg MTX and 6.5 mg pred.  Every time I try to reduce the steroids, the pain and stiffness comes back. I have just started sulphasalazine starting with 500mg every day and increasing week by week.  I thought I might reduce my MTX to 17.5 or 15 again?   Has anyone else played around with doses?  
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply...I am working on cutting back on calories,my doctors says no reason for weight gain,
    • Posted

Hi Lucynewas, I used to be on sulphasalazine but I was taken off as I didn't see much improvement in my joints ( I was glad too 'cos the tablet was just too big to swallow). I was also on a daily dose of 5mg prednisolone until I read the numerous side effects of steroids and weaned myself off it. it was a very painful weaning period and infact needed crutches to move around but it's paid off n with the help 20mg MTX injection, I do get through most days pain free and less dependent on pain killers.

All I'm trying to say is that you discuss the options of steroids with your doctor as you are not meant to be on it for a long period. It made me always hungry but I managed to curb my eating. One of my friend wasn't so lucky cos in her case, she piled up the weight.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply - I am on MTX 20 mg and sulphasalazine.  I'm not over-eating as far as I can see, but the weight has piled on round my face and midriff.  I hate the photos!
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with ra over 2 years now I am on maximum does of 25mg of methotrexate also folic acid I have gained over 3 stone and I am taking really bad with it. I do eat sensibly salads, veg , fish fruit . I have always been around 9.5 - 10 stone I am now nearing 12.5 . My doctors also say there should be no weight gain which is clearly not the case . Hearing others are gaining weight now makes it more clearer to me it is the methotrexate at fault .
    • Posted

Hi my doctors tell me you can drink alcohol in moderation if you take the meds on Wednesday by the weekend you can have a drink in moderation I'm only on MTX though

• Posted

Did you experience any hair loss or thinning on methotrexate? 
  • Posted

Have just started MTX  and hope that I don't gain weight. I thought that from reading the posts a lot of people lost weight ! Due to decrease in appetite.
  • Posted

Thanks  for your reply....I have tried changing my diet....I guess I need to cut  back even more.....

• Posted

I was diagnosed with RA, Lupus & Fibro all around the same time. I take a handful of meds 3 times a day and Metho on Wed nights. I've heard horror stories about hair loss, weight gain and no alcohol. Also I've heard a lot about liver damage. My Doc say NO ALCOHOL PERIOD.

This is life changing for me because I am used to going to social events that revolve around alcohol. I feel like the only normal part if my life is gone now. It's bed enough to be disabled by these diseases but now what was left if my "social" existence had been taken away. I'm a YOUNG 50 y/o woman and had a social life but now that I can't have cocktails...no more brunches, girls nights...just nothing. Im left feeling like a hermit and wonder why I should even get out of bed at times. Alcohol was a major part of my social life. I can have fun without it but I really enjoy the time when I can go out & let my hair down. #Depressed

• Posted

Hi im on 20mg Methatrexate and was told no alcohol but like you I have a social life that evolves around good friends and alcohol.. (I'm 51) I havent given up alcohol because didn't want to lose that side of my life and I am totally fine!!! I have liver function tests done monthly and all come back healthy.. So a little of what you fancy in my eyes is good for you and your mental well being!!! Don't suffer and be miserable 😃

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PA 2 years ago. I continue drinking, usuallly only friday and saturday and no more than 8 beers per week.

And all my blood test has been good. I always told my doctor that I only drink 2 drinks per week.

So you can drink a little and see how you feel and how your blood test goes. Do not be depressed. Cheer up!!!

• Posted

I have lupus, RA, Fibro, and many other autoimmune issues too! I have just been bumped up to 25 mg, and lowered the prednisone to 3mg. I used to be on 80mg of prednisone, and was in bad shape and have the scars to prove it. The prednisone is the weight gainer, along with some others like the Gabapenton. I am on a lot of medications for my issues, and am being watched constantly. (Around 50 pills a day) But this is no reason why you can't have fun! There are many things I can't do like I used to, but I can be in control if how I think of things! God is my center, along with his son Jesus! Through my strength I have helped others through there issues, and I will help all of you too!

No matter what happens to this body we have, it's God's promise that gets me through each and every day! He will make us whole again, maybe not while we are here; but he will do so! Remember that Jesus took our burdens, so, we can live in freedom! Freedom of hurt, pain, suffering, and sin. But we must die with this body first, to be reborn in him! That is where you can find your strength to get through the hard times!

Alcohol is and evil prison, that makes people believe they need it, along with other evils of the world. In the Bible, it tells us to stay alert and sober minded. We can't do that if we are filling it with unnecessary toxins. Yes, we may need these meds to get through these days on earth, but later with faith; we won't need them! We will be whole again!

Give your burdens to Jesus, he suffered so, we would not need too. The world will hate us, just as it did him; but we will not be forgotten! He loves you, as our Father God does. We were never meant to have disease. Human sin did that, and that is why our body must die; to receive our new body. Without sin!

We must love and help each other, that is why, he has led me to all of you! I want you all to know, that no matter how much our bodies attack us, we must not loose our faith, love, and compassion! Do not let evil take you over to depression, or other forms of drowning our sorrows! We cannot afford to loose our soul too!

I have many wounds, sores, and scars that wont go away. Pain that prevents me from doing things I used to do. But with the help of our Father and his son Jesus, we will find new things to take there place! Every time a door closes, a new one always opens! You just need to look and listen, and ask God for help; and be willing to receive the help! He gives it to you in all forms!

I hope this helps you, and others like us! Peace be with you ALL! You will be in My prayers! Keep loveing!

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I dug a little deeper about weight gain and methotrexate, after my last post. My answer about weight gain was in response to what other had said about what their doctors had said. But researching on it, it looks like methotrexate can cause weight gain, along with many other medications.

If you are one only one medication, it is easy to pinpoint the problem. But if you are on many like I am, it's hard to pinpoint one or more; which one is the cause.

I am on 18 medications, not counting inhalers. Which I try not to use unless I have too. The 18, I take everyday. So, it is hard to pick what is the cause of what. For all I know, it could be more than one that is the culprit. I know for a fact, Gabapenton, prednisone, savella, trazodone (for sleep), elmeron, ditropan xl, levocetirizine, zovia 1/50e (for endometriosis), zantac, nexium (possible), voltaren (rapid weight gain), singular (and antihistamines in general do), hydroxyzine, and folic acid. So, along with methotrexate; 15 out if 18 of my medications can cause weight gain. (I looked each one up.) Plus, I found out some other issues I was having in doing so.

I have found two sites I think people should look at, while doing this research. One tells what other meds could cause weight gain, and the other tells how to combat the weight gain caused by some meds.

I hope this helps! As always, Peace and Love!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.