Weight gain following diarrhoea

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello I have had 2 bouts of diarrhoea recently and on both occasion had no bowel opening for 4/5 days afterwards. I am currently trying to lose weight. On the morning before the fist bout of diarrhoea I weighed myself and had lost a couple of pounds. Every time I weigh myself now even though I am strictly following my reduced calorie intake and noting down everything I eat as well as exercising I seem to have gained between 3-4lb. My clothes feel looser and I feel like I have lost weight but the scales say otherwise. Is it possible that this supposed weight gain is due to the absence of bowel movements since I had diarrhoea? I feel really depressed about the situation as I am working so hard to shift the extra weight and there seems to be no logical explanation for why the scales indicate I have gained.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This seems strange.  I would have thought diarrhoea would make you lose weight rather than gain it.  It is usually constipation that would cause you to gain weight because the bowel is full.  Have you seen your doctor?
    • Posted

But I think this is what has happened as I haven't had a bowel movement for 4 days now since the last bout of diarrhoea. I just wonder if following the diarrhoea all the waste has built up in my bowel and is causing the weight gain. I have tummy pains, trapped wind and lots of rumbling going on in my stomach.
  • Posted

It depends how bad the diarrhoea was, sorry to be blunt! If it was just one loose motion each time then it is possible you are a bit constipated now and that could account for the weight gain. If you had several loose motions then it's unlikely you're constipated, there just probably isn't anything much to come out, as the D would have cleared you out. Also when eating a reduced calorie diet you will poop less anyway as you are eating less.

It's also work remembering that weight loss is never steady and linear, there are so many things that effect it: what you've eaten and drank, bowel movements , fluid retention , TOTM. Sometimes you gain despite your best efforts then a week later it all comes off a again!

Keep goingsmile

• Posted

Hi Bridget

As a previous comment, dieting is never linear.  Just a couple of thoughts for you.  Exercise builds muscles which are heavier than fat.  This might be the case if your clothes are looser but the weight isn't down.  Also I once had a friend who was dieting and we supervised her calorie intake at about 800 - 900 calories per day and she didn't lose weight.  When she put this up to 1200 calories per day the weight started to come off so I believe you can eat too little.  Keep your spirit up and check your scales.  I presume you weigh yourself at the same time of day wearing the same sort of clothes, or without clothes can be best as this can affect things too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.