Weight gain & terrible nightmares

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone smile, I was prescribed mertazipine nearly two weeks ago, the 15mg dose was ok for me, but when I went up to 30 I had terrible nightmares and I guess a sort of sleep paralysis that I had never had before. I'd had sleep paralysis before but this was different. Horrible things would happen in my nightmares but it was if I could feel them. Like the room spinning, or my body swelling up, rather than seeing people coming towards me like before when I experienced sleep paralysis.

I didn't take mertazapine last night and I slept fine. I intend to take half a pill tonight, but I'm anxious about that but know going cold turkey isn't the answer. Will speak to my dr when she comes in a few days about it.

I have also gained 7lbs which is frustrating as I've worked hard to get back to 11 stone (I'm 5'11). Hoping everyone is doing ok x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you feel hungry after you take your mitazi's or are you asleep by then?.

What I found is that not long after chewing a 45mg I would get an appetite of sweet things which i would give into but I became aware that what I eat seems to have an effect on the intensity of the dreams... not to the point of total control but they seem to be less intense if i eat some fruit rather than gorging on pb & honey on toast or don't eat anything at all.  

The dreams/nightmares can be a real mindf**k at times. I don't have nightmares as such in that the dreams don't terrify me but they can be very intense and almost lucid and the feelings and emotions they sometimes trigger can feel very real and remain after I wake, where there is this disconnection between the percieved emotion and its trigger (fiction from the dream). That can be hard to process, especially if the emotion lingers thru the morning.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I don't really have a sweet tooth, so sugar/chocolate etc has never been something I crave... I'm a savoury person, so I go for the sandwich!

I get what you're saying about the dreams, for me they start off in a good place but then end up somewhere different, my REM sleep is extremely intense that I can still picture it the next day. it's really not a good feeling. 

• Posted

I find that if I've been watching a lot of TV dramas or Movies before i go to bed the dreams will be more pronounced and driven by a more fictional narative from my subconsious. 

fact-based 'real world' intellectiual stimulus has a similar effect in a positive way... i dream about what ive been thinking about that day.

It's to do with 3rd stage sleep where the hippocampus processes memories from the day before and sends them to long term memory and how they then inform dreams during 4th stage REM sleep.

Playing sport or getting excercise is suppost to help clear ones mind as the hippocampus also plays a big part in learning physical techinques, such as sport, playing a piano etc. The hit of endophines is nice as well.

• Posted

I play tennis on the regular, thanks for your input but I am not finding it helpful. 
    • Posted

Sorry about being rude in my previous reply, it was unacceptable. My dreams are still very vivid but not as bad and I feel more aware of the fact that they aren't real and the sleep paralysis like symptoms haven't reoccured since. Hope you accept my apology - Laura.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.