Weight lifting after bilateral tkr

Posted , 5 users are following.

Quick question: I had bilateral tkr in June and still so my exercises and biking daily. I also do the leg press and hamstring weight machine 4-5 times a week. Does anyone else do this? I am getting stronger everyday. If so, what weight limit should I use for leg press?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jen. My physio said 10kg is my limit. If you overuse your devices by running, too much weight bearing exercise, put on weight when you are already a healthy weight, these events can diminish the life of the devices. What's your hurry? You have new knees and if you want them to last then you need to be kind to them. Non stress exercise like bike riding and pool walking are great for knee rehabilitation and muscle build up. Good luck! I had my bilats in March 16. I am 64.

• Posted

If you are getting stronger every day,why not continue as a you are?

I'm jealous by the way

• Posted

I had partial knee replacement on November 1.  My last appointement with surgeon said I can stop doing the home PT exercises I had been doing, and get back to my normal exercise routine, which consists of the gym nautilus machines (including leg press, etc.), swimming, hiking.  He said no limitations.  So I would think you can do whatever you feel comfortable with.  Of course, doctor is your best resource for any limitations for you. Best wishes to you!
  • Posted

Jen,

ask your surgeon.  We all have this surgery for different reasons and at different stages of failure of the original knee.  We receive various replacement parts....so ask the one who understands your circumstances best.

good luck

pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.