Weight loss after stopping amitriptyline

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I just have a quick question I'm a male 28 years old and I hope some one can help,I was on amtitriplyine for 2 years 25mg to 50mg and I did gain weight.I came off this medication towards the end of October this year and I've lost weight without excises.I weighed myself start of last month and I was 85.5kg and now I'm 84.3kg my body fat was 23.3 and now it's gone down to 17.2 .I just want to know is this normal should the weight be losing this fast also I've dropped down 2 belt sizes in the past month

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

I was always around 10.5 stone started amitrip 25mg and within 3 months i was 12.5 stone which i was quite happy about,but then started getting palpitations daily it was the amitrip side effects so discontinued,and within a few months was back to normal weight hope this helps your question
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Darren,did you change your eating habits or exercise?maybe I just got use to the weight gained by the medication and I thought it was normal being like that,I'm happy I'm losing it but Its just the rate it's happening at.

• Edited

never changed eating habits my appetite just decreased once i came off amitrip..i was constantly hungry when on it but went back to my normal appetite once i came off it
  • Posted

You would have gained weight on this medication. So it is very possible you would loose weight when you had stopped

BOB

• Posted

If you are dieting and exercising then yes but if not it is a lot quickly. Probably nothing to worry about but see your doctor. will stop you worrying
    • Posted

I saw my doctor today,and he didn't seem 2 bothered with this as I already had a FBC blood test and stool test done a few weeks ago and all came back normal.he said your weight is fine and if the body fat is going down its good..he said it could be your body going back to normally after stopping amitriptyline and also I had nausea symptoms everyday since stopping the medication but thankfully in the last few days that's gone away.

• Posted

That's good. Hopefully all back to normal soon. Wish I had lost the weight!

• Posted

**hi I have been on this medication for many many years I take 200 mg at bedtime and I wake up well refreshed and ready to be on my day I noticed I have gained weight because some of my clothes don't fit I have been weaning myself off but I have noticed a huge drop in my weight but I cannot say it's due to that I also have the thyroid issue which also affects your weight and eating disorder it could be all of those things or one I don't know but yes the weight gain yet again it could be other health issues if your thyroid is out of whack it will affect your weight probably didn't help anybody with their questions this is my story.

• Posted

**hi I have been on this medication for many many years I take 200 mg at bedtime and I wake up well refreshed and ready to be on my day I noticed I have gained weight because some of my clothes don't fit I have been weaning myself off but I have noticed a huge drop in my weight but I cannot say it's due to that I also have the thyroid issue which also affects your weight and eating disorder it could be all of those things or one I don't know but yes the weight gain yet again it could be other health issues if your thyroid is out of whack it will affect your weight probably didn't help anybody with their questions this is my story.

• Posted

Hi...I have gained weight after taking amitriptyline for a year and a half. I was taking it for neuropathy. My Doctor said I can stop taking it and I have stopped starting from today.

Will I lose this weight and how long will it take? Thankyou

• Posted

i was on low dose for ibs and put on about a stone and a half. i weaned myself off as my knees were painful and swollen due to weight gain, I completely stopped about 8 weeks ago and I've already lost 11lbs!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.