Weight Loss Success on Levothyroxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm posting this  because when i began taking levothyroxine i read many horror stories online that almost made me throw away the drugs and quit altogether. 

I was diagnosed in March 2016 with a TSH level of over 100. I was put on 50mg and i am now on 75mg, but this may increase further as i am still having blood tests. 

Before taking Levo, i was overweight, sleeping a minimum of 12 hours a day, had awful acid reflux and joint pains. Not to mention the constant feeling of fatigue and irritability. Three months later i have dropped over 2 stone, sleep better and have no pain or discomfort at all. Taking Levo has been combined with a healthier diet and an average amount of exercise. I always take it at least an hour before i eat in the morning and i have cut gluten and alcohol from my diet. Small price to pay for the results, both physically and mentally. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for posting. It is very reassuring to hear of your good experiences. Good luck for the future x
  • Posted

I am also taking Levo and I don't like it, it intensify my pain, but I have been taking it for a week now. I am glad to hear something positive about this drug, I am taking 125mcg.

• Posted

My brother is hypothyroid but still has his own thyroid organ.  It was not destroyed by surgery or radiation therapy.  He does well on levothyroxine.  However, many if not most people who have had their thyroid gland destroyed by either surgery or radiation do not feel well on levothyroxine replacement alone.  At least 75% of people in this category report not feeling normal to the point that it makes it difficult for them to cope with ordinary life tasks.  This is why when they tell their doctors this and their doctors refuse to listen or accept this because their TSH levels are normal, it is so frustrating and they are looking for answers in order to heal.  They need more than synthetic T4 to feel normal.
    • Posted

I still have my thyroid glands also and Levi is cause me pain.
    • Posted

Then you might do better on a T3/T4 combination like Armour.  In Canada it is manufactured by a company called Erfa.  The name of the drug in Canada is “Thyroid”.
    • Posted

I told my Dr., I would try Levi for 1 month and if it still made me hurt we would try something else. Thanks
  • Posted

Hi my doctor started me on Levo 25mcg, im afraid to gain more weight. are you still loosing weight?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.