Weight loss while on Prostap injections

Posted , 4 users are following.

Lost 4lbs while on Prostap injections for fibroids-Has anyone else had the same experience?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Teresa. Had a TAH back in November to remove massive fibroid. I did 5 months on Prostap but can't say I lost a significant amount of weight. In the end my consultant said my fibroid was too big for the Prostap to have any impact but we didn't know that at the time. I hated all the hot flushes it caused and is still causing as it is not yet out of my system (though flushes have lessened since I reduced my caffeine intake). However I think it did some good at reducing the pressure from the fibroid as my stress incontinence (caused by the fibroid) seemed to lessen. I went on Prostap also to minimise bleeding during the op. Still had to have a blood transfusion but who knows things could have been worse without it. I did read that quite a few women had weight loss on it, some the opposite. Good luck with it all.
    • Posted

Hi Sally.

I am only on 3months of injections.I have had my second this week.My first was Zoladex which i have been told is the same thing.No real side effects yet except several headaches.My fibroid is also very large plus i have a hernia aswell which they are hoping can be repaired at the sane time.My consultant is also hoping that the injections will make the surgery easier with less blood loss.How long were you in hospital for and how long did it take you to feel strong enough to start doing light jobs?

Thanks

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Hi Teresa. I went in for the op on a Wednesday (26/11/14) and was able to go home Friday if I felt up to it. I actually left on the Saturday morning. As my recovery time started in the build up to Xmas I started doing bits and bobs like present wrapping about 2 weeks in. A mother can never be completely out of action can she? But my 8 year old son was very good really. I was very lucky as my Mother in Law came to help out. Gradually from week 3 started to do bits of pottering and light meals. Hubby needed a bit of help with Xmas dinner (week 4) but I didn't do too much as a month in fatigue hit like a sledge hammer. Tried ironing at week 5 - mistake, stood for too long. Even now at 11 weeks I do ironing and meals but avoid vacuuming. Tried that last week - mistake. What I did do was walk. Would go out with my son to do short walks in and around the neighbourhood and I started those after 2 weeks. Fresh air was vital. I'm due back at work in 2 weeks and I am worried about how I will find it. Glad I'm on a phased return. Mine was a big op. Have totally needed the 13 week recovery time. I recommend you take as long as you possibly can. Good luck.
    • Posted

sally,What job do you do?I work full time in a supermarket so a lot of standing and heavy lifting.I live with my Dad who is very good around the house.I have had a holiday booked before i knew about the op so i have about 11.5 weeks recovery time and im determined to do it.It is a coach holiday so i will get a lot of sit downs during the week.A lot of people say that it is the waiting for the op rather than the op it self.I think it will be the first 2 weeks that will be the worse.Did you have a lot of pain and bleeding afterwards?Any other tips would be appreciated.

luv

Teresa

XXX

• Posted

Hi Teresa. I'm a primary school teacher so also on my feet and full on all day. I think you'll be fine for your holiday but if your job involves heavy lifting I would talk to your GP about recommended return time especially if the lifting is not something you can avoid. The bleeding can stop and start. So there I was thinking it was all over after about 10 days then it started again. I had bleeding (pale pink/brownish) until about a week ago. Again thought it had stopped then had a little bit yesterday. All normal apparently. Golden rule: If heavy and fresh blood see you Dr. It is a bit of an adjustment. I am not sure if some of my sensations are post op or prostap menopausal. Women say it can take up to a year to feel "normal". Best wishes, Sarah
    • Posted

Thanks again for the chat.Need to get ready for work now.

Take care

Teresa

xx

• Posted

Hi Teresa

I had zoladex injections in 2005 and again in 2013 for fibroids and on

both occasions lost about 1/2 stone. I think I was burning off the weight via the hot flushes. These were not too bad but I did develop insomnia second time around which was annoying. It took a good 2-3 months for the last injection to wear off and to feel back to normal.

Hope you are doing okay.

Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Did the injections help a lot with your fibroids.One of mine is 20cm and I am due to have a hysterectomy on April 7th with my last injection on March 5th.The hot flushes have started to kick in more the last couple of days but the headaches have not been so bad.I am just dreading the first 2 weeks following the op.It is the thought of not being able to get around much and worrying that I will be doing more damage than good.

xxx

• Posted

Hi Teresa

Yes they did help with the bleeding and apparently they are meant to

shrink the fibroids before surgery. I think you can get some Hrt for the

flushes. I didn't bother but in hindsight I wish I had. I didn't realise the

effects would last so long.

I had a myomectomy first time round and then an total abdominal

hysterectomy in Nov 2014. The surgery went well. First two weeks were boring and a bit painful. Make sure you get some adequate pain relief,

try to do a bit of gentle walking and take it easy and be prepared to do

everything slowly. Be very careful about lifting and stretching. I think I may have overdone it a bit - I have no patience!- but no damage done.

Very best of luck with your op.

Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Did you have your ovaries removed?I am not sure what to do.How are you feeling 2 months on after your op?I have started to buy extra pain killers and even the constipation tablets and the peppermint tea.When they say on the recovery plan and they say week 2 ect do they mean week 2 as 14 days after or the start of the 2nd week?

I have been reading a lot that walking is good about 10 mins after the 2nd week increasing it by 2mins a day.Any tips would be appreciated

Thank you

xxx

• Posted

Hi Teresa

No my ovaries were conserved.

I am recovered from the surgery now except for a wee niggle of pain on the right side.

A female nurse told me it would take 3 months to feel back to

normal and she was right. The male doctors said 4-6 weeks

which was a tad optimistic.

I always took Week 2 as to be the start of the 2nd week. I would use any recovery plan information as a guide only. I found most of the information to be a bit simplistic and patronising. You may be able to do more or less than 10 minutes depending on how

things go. I would concentrate on trying to keep infection free and drinking loads of water and eating well to minimise constipation.

You should be provided with pain medication and laxatives by

your hospital or gp.

Hope that is of some help.

Take Care

Emma

• Posted

Hi Emma,

It sounds like you have done well during your 2 month recovery.Do you work and if so are you back ?

xxx

• Posted

Hi Teresa

Yes I work full time. I hope to be going back shortly.

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

Hi I'm on my 4th month and I feel amazing. I've lost a stone in weight apart from the hot flushes which make me want to sit in a cold shower all day I feel great.

Just starting Hrt so hopefully flushes will stop soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.