Weird pain in neck and head

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had tightness in the right of my neck for a few months now. The severity seems to vary, sometimes my shoulder aches, other times I get shooting pains from the base of my skull upwards. Also it sometimes feels like there is something actually in my skull if that makes sense? Like a swelling or something, or that when I swallow I can feel something actuslly in my neck. Other symptoms include discomfort in my palette which has let me to make a strange clicking sound in my throat which happens when I move the back of my throat to try to relieve the discomfort. When it feels like something is actually in my head, I also get discomfort in my ear, especially when I move my head in certain angles. I also experience head pressure and occasional dizziness. I've been trying to believe it's just a tight neck muscle, but it's all quite worrying really. My doctor has offered me a neck MRI but as my symptoms seem to be right at the base of my skull I'm not sure if this will help much. Does anyone else experience similar things to me?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like your "Atlas" may be out if whack, the cervical bone at the base of your skull!

The only reason I know this might be it is because I've had exactly the same symptoms going on!

Mine has improved tremendously by having it adjusted by a GOOD Chiropractor!

It took some time and diligence but it's much better!

(Have you tried a chiropractor? )

• Posted

I had all of those symptoms and my neck had lost 40 degrees of curve and was 5 degrees to the left. The extension was putting pressure on the cerebellum causing dizziness, headaches, vision issues etc. It will not fix itself, you will need to get regular adjustments for several months. Have a chiropractor do an x ray.
  • Posted

Thank you both, it sounds like seeing a chiropracter is the next step! Its nice to know I'm not alone with this. I can't help my mind running sometimes and worrying it's something serious. Presumably the MRI would pick up any bones out of place? I'll try to get an appointment with someone this week :-)
    • Posted

Good luck, hope it goes well. At the very least an x ray and a consult will tell you the next step. Make sure to check reviews on a doctor before allowing them to do an adjustment.

I have only ever seen the one chiropractor but I was very nervous about it and met with him three times before I actually allowed an adjustment and he was very patient with me but you will hear horror stories out there of bad chiropractors so be careful to do your homework.

If you decide a chiropractor isn't for you, you could stick with massage therapy but it will take longer so don't get discouraged when it's a month in and you're not cured, you will probably see a decrease in frequency by that point.

• Posted

this is wierd, your symptoms match mine exactly plus I have more. I get facial pain too along with numbness and lots of other things.

Unfortunately I never did find out the cause of mine.

I didnt find relief with chiropractor or physical therapist but you could try although I think chirp might make things worse. Did for me.

My MRI showed dehydration of th c5/c6 and a pineal cyst in my brain, they said both were normal occurrences.

I get massive pressure what feels like under my ears and they also get wet inside at times but dr says ears look ok, some days pressure is in my naso pharynx area too.

I've never worked out if it is a wierd type of neck pain or a strange migraine or 1 of the million other things I've thought it could be.

• Posted

I have all the same symptoms as you. Did you ever figure out what it was?

• Posted

I just started feeling this way out of the blue it randomly hit me three days ago. I haven't experienced the ear discomfort thought, but my neck started hurting from the middle of no where and it started to hurt when i would move my neck and now i can barely get up without the compolsing in my head that feels like something is in my skull if you find anything that can help will you let me know because pain medicine is not working.

• Posted

I suffered and was off work for 6 months after terrible neck burning pain headaches and migraines. My neck felt like it couldn't hold my head up properly and when I went over a bump in a car or bent over I literally felt like my head would roll off! My muscles seemed to be working too hard and spasming. My throat was so tight I often could hardly speak Chiropractic and physio and acupuncture worked a little but gradually got worse and thought I would never work again.

Found prolotherapy on American sites caring medical explanation was the best and found blackberry clinic UK to help me. Took full 8 weeks to start working and I am so much better. I still had muscle spasms in top of my back and shoulders and have had trigger point injections a few times now and also nerve blocks in neck. Still in pain but can live my life and work now.

I hope this helps someone. Please don't give up and keep pushing and researching. I was ridiculed for looking on forums and Google as I couldn't get any answers from neurologists and doctors after MRI scans etc but I managed to self diagnose and get the right help! Good luck !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.