weird pictures when closing eyes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone

for the last two week I've been concerned with weird issue: When I close my eyes in a day time I see randomly moving whitish streaks and strips. Then - in a few seconds - they begin to shape into incessantly changing black and white ornaments. Then - the 3d phase - a kind of screen appears and I watch as multicolored spots coagulating, diverging and emmerging into each other. Finally - the most shocking part - I watch animated movies on that screen. Very vivid colours, neat, distinct contours but all the way long flowing and blurrin and it's hard to catch a plot. For instanse: i see teddy bears dancing in pairs, , ducks, cats and what not. In two second the image starts to collaps and gradually turns into somethin else. EG military maneuvers: infantry, tanks, cavalry, marines. I want to highlight - this is not a dream! I can open my eyes deliberately at any moment. Have anybody expereinsed stuff like that?  And what do you think: is it somatic or psychiatric impairment? Thanks!

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Probably nothing serious but I think you should see a neurologist rather than a psychiatrist. (I'm a former neuro trained nurse, btw.) A lot of us see this stuff but it's more commonly associated with waking or falling asleep. I count myself among this number, but my hallucinations are sleep-related.

Get yourself checked out by a neurologist if you can, just to make sure.

• Posted

Thank you Lilly. Two days ago I addresed the psychiatrist though  - I was nearly in a panic because I just could't relaxe without seeng that crap before my eyes
    • Posted

Has the psychiatrist suggested seeing a neurologist? I think this is important. Psychiatrists deal with the workings of the mind. Neurologists address the workings of the brain. There's a very big difference between the two. Not all hallucinations are down to psychiatric illness, they can be caused by brain lesions as well. A good psychiatrist would know about this and refer you to a neurologist if necessary but they have been known to make mistakes.

I'm wondering whether you have any other symptoms - except for a very understandable anxiety about these visions. It's just that the way you tell it in your original post, this problem has come out of thin air, with no other psychiatric symptoms.

If I were in your position I'd consult a neurologist as well, and try to get a brain scan.

• Posted

It sounds as though you are having a type of hallucination. Personally, I would start off by visiting my GP. It is certaiinly not normal. Are you on any drugs or prescribed medication?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.