Weird rash.

Posted , 2 users are following.

In the past 8 weeks I have had a rash of rashes (sorry! But I need the humour to stay sane). The first was essentially hives, or more properly Urticaria, huge burning tender and extremely itchy, on my inner arms, my torso and legs and underside of my feet. They melded into each other and lasted between 2 - 6 days before the next few cropped up, lasting over all for about 4 weeks.These were quickly followed by rashes proper, with actual spots on my elbows, wrists and inner forearms and inner legs. As the rash on my legs faded it left a purple stain. 

I saw a Dermatologist by which time the hives and inner arm rashes had gone (obviously!!) but I had taken photos, who said the spotty rash on my legs and the rash on my elbows was most likely Psoriasis but the hives could be idiopathic (i.e. no known cause) or autoimmune, BUT in no way related to allergies. If they crop up again I have to contact him and get biopsies asap.

Well I did some research and the combination of of rash and hives suggests Urticarial Vasculitis. Given that I could see tiny pinpricks of red in parts of the rashes, especially on my inner arms I think this is a possibility. 

Any thoughts, anyone?

Best wishes to all.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan, vasculitis sounds like a real possibility. There are other types of vasculitis that go along with lupus. I'm glad for you that your dermatologist is thinking outside of the box, unlike my experience when mine just told me my stuff was just eczema. She also burned a couple things off my skin and charged about $500. That's the beauty of American Healthcare. I was only in the office for 15 minutes. I hope you get a resolution to your skin issues.

• Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for the moral support! I know people knock our dear old NHS but when it is used properly and by genuinely sick people it does work. I don't know how you folks in the USA manage the cost without the often expensive health insurance. My sister lives in South Africa and she has told me some horror stories about the system over there, they would make you cringe.

I actually don't yet have a specific diagnosos for the autoimmune problem I have, very long story but in a nutshell: ear infection - fall - injured shoulder and neck - years of pain and constant tenderness over neck and shoulder - change of GP - shoulder and gynae problems fixed - still felt like crap - blood tests - referral to Rheumatologist and hey presto some sort of connective tissue/autoimmune disease and 'here's some tablets'. The rashes, I'm pretty sure, predate everything else so perhaps they were the first indication of a problem. Just to add to the pity party I have also just recently been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia coz the joint and muscle pains aren't sufficiently agonising, apparently!

I only really thought that autoimmune disease was a possibility for how I had been feeling after looking into my brother's health issues, he is in a far worse position than I am. He lives in France, and they don't like the English, and he has had little if any compassion shown to him. As a nurse myself I was always taught that blood and protein in the urine MUST be investigated and is ALWAYS a sign of illness or trauma, but apparently in his case, according to the French, it just means he is a slacker and after opiates!!! His GP is very good, though, so hopefully he will get diagnosed and treated properly soon. I think he has one or other of the types of Vasculitis given all of his signs and symptoms and blood results.

Thanks again for responding and allowing me to vent!

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.