Weird things going on with my abdomen and bowel movements

Posted , 2 users are following.

To start, I am 19 and a female, which is why I'm hoping this forum cna give me some answers since a doctor is probably unneccesary. In the past I've thought that I might ahve IBS just due to my penchant for diarreah, but these past few weeks my stomach and bowel movements has been really bothering me. 

My movements have been in narrow and pencil like. Occasioanlly I've have movements that are somewhat normal looking, but still with at least one that's narow like that. I don't wipe hard, either, but the toilet paper usually has blood on it even though I can't feel any tears and it doesn't hurt anywhere.

My stomach has also been doing some odd things. Before a bowel movement, my stomach will occsaionlly start making loud noises and I can feel something that feels a bit like a heavy weight dropping in my sotmach, or like something is kicking me usually at the top of my stomach. My stoamch and sides have also been hurting, as well as my upper stoamch and under ribs on borth sides, and going doesn't make it dissappear, but it sometimes worsens it. Sometimes I'll go to the bathroom becausse this'll happen, and it feels better for a short amount of time then it ahppens and I have to go again, but it's not diarreah usually.

Also, I'm not sure how exactly to explain this but it feels like my bowel movements are more urgent? Previously, I could've held in bowel movments for however long I wanted, and it wouldn't feel different when I had to go. Now, basically as soon as I sit down they feel like they're right there....I'm not relaly sure how to explai it but it doens't feel like I'm in any danger of having any accidents or anything, but they feel much closer to the surface. I've also been really gassy which does not usally happen to me ever.

I've also had some other pain but I'm not sure if it's normal or related, but sometimes when I stretch or move wrong I get a really sharp pain that starts at my side and can somtimes radiate. I did it in front of my friend whil stretching in the care and immediately bent over and clutched at my side and she looked at me weird, so I'm guessing it's only me that this happens to?

I don't really want to go to a dcotr since it would be a campus doctor and I don't like doing things that aren't neccessary, so if anyone has dealt with this please help me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh, I've also noticed clouds of mucous occasionally in the toilet
  • Posted

Kaitlin, have you ever been to a doctor with your symptoms?

However it may just be a dietary problem so make a list for a week of absolutely everything you eat and drink.    Then start omitting something from your diet and see if anything makes a difference. Only omit one item at a time for a week,then you can pinpoint the culprit.    I had similar problems to you but then found if I cut out cheese I was much better. Someone mentioned Lactose intolerance so I cut out all dairy...ie cheese,yoghurt,butter and milk and I have never felt better.

Another common intolerance is gluten.      If it is a food intolerance you have to do all the trial and error yourself.        Also,if you drink a lot of alcohol try going without.            If nothing seems to help you probably will have to see a doc. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying smile Earlier in the year I had gone to the doctor because I had been getting full really quickly and always felt nauseus at night. I thought it might be due to gluten since I ate more at dinner usually, but we tested me and it was negative. After awhile the nausea just went away. I still get it sometimes, but not as much so I just ignored it or put it off as stress or something. I also don't typically eat any dairy products as I'm not a huge fan, but maybe I could try cutting out coffee and see if that helps.
  • Posted

Do you eat a lot of fruit? That can be the culprit. Also things like nuts and seeds.  You say you dont eat much in the way of dairy but do you eat processed foods? They can contain a lot of dairy.       Now I have discovered the lactose intolerance I look very carefully at all the ingredients in processed foods. Luckily Gluten and milk are known allergens so are listed in dark print so they stand out.   Its amazing what goes into these 'over the counter ' ready foods and I'm not just talking about biscuits/bread/cakes.    Try looking at the ingredients in microwave meals and even chips!   Its a minefield out there for people with digestive problems but its an interesting journey.

You really have to be very strict with yourself once you discover the culprit and sometimes its a very big surprise...something you hadnt even considered.

I sometimes allow myself a cup of milky tea but I know the consequences!    Mostly have black coffee or fruit teas now. Also soya milk which is readily available.

On a positive note...once you know what is causing the prob and you eliminate it,its like freeing yourself from a big black cloud.

Good luck,stick at it...you'll get there in the end.

• Posted

Most of my meals are cooked fresh (I don't cook them though) but I do drink some processed things like hot chocolate. I hadn't even thought about something like that containing dairy. I don't eat a lot of fruit because it's not reaidly accesable, but I do try to eat vegetables at every meal, usally just a salad. I haven't really been eating much, as I don't eat breakfast unless it's coffee and usually at lunch and dinner I get full really quikcly or it doesn't sound appetizing. Could it be possible that I don't have a specific trigger food, but rather food in general doesn't sit too well with me? 
  • Posted

I doubt that its food in general.....you have to eat to live,although it could be that you may need to cut out several items.    It could even be chocolate itself!. Thats one of the things I dont eat...makes me feel nauseous and then I come up in big red blotches.

It could even be the skin on something like a tomato or the pips. Maybe smaller but regular meals would suit you better than going without breakfast.

You do need to make that list and then try the elimination process.

• Posted

Thank you for your responses, they're always appreciated cheesygrin I'll have to try the food journal thing like you suggested and see if there's a pattern somewhere

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.