What about the pads we have used and still use? What harm could they have caused?

Posted , 10 users are following.

We all have used them, or still use them - hygiene pads or whatever they are called, for our monthly periods.   Even the one's made of 'cotton' and are 'breathable' are now soon an irritation down below.

There are so many women nowadays suffering from LS, it makes one wonder whether the use of 'throw away pads' has made LS worse or has even a share in the cause of LS.  

Anyone else having thoughts on this? 

0 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hanny. I have mentioned this before. A midwife once told me that she could 'always' tell what towels her Mum's used by the smell they emmitted down below. She told me this wondering if they had caused my soreness at the time of my daughters birth. I was so afraid of tearing and quite relieved to have a cesarean. How silly is that but I am sure others will know what I mean. After my later Hysterectomy I was relieved to realise I would never have to go through a smear test and the associated tears I used to suffer. Not one doctor or nurse ever diagnosed ls. I changed to another popular brand of incontinence pad as well in case. I can wear them with no problems.

• Posted

Hi Chrisy

Hope your keeping well, I know what you mean about smear tests I'm dreading my next one the last one was awful, things us women go through.... I'm having some treatment at the dentist, 2 bridges I need nightmare, just hope it doesn't set my mouth off been a bit sore lately

Take care

Karen Xx

• Posted

Hi Karen, Me too. Went to Dentist 2 weeks ago. He was smoothing my filling when a piece of filling went to the back of my throat. It caused me to swallow and the drill hit the underside of my tongue. I bleed a lot and then a blood blister formed under my tongue. He had to stop work so I am left with a rough filling that is causing me problems. I am going back next week to have the job finished. My gum is swollen and my mouth and tongue are sore. The blister has gone now thankfully but I have ulcers on my tongue.

I hope your treatment goes well. X

• Posted

Aww Chrisy

Wouldn't you think he'd have been more careful knowing about the lichen planus, I know I bleed a lot too... Bet you were shaking, I would have been, hate going to the dentist,

Good luck when you go back, make sure your mouths fully healed before you go... Let me know how you get on, I'm there Friday for cleaning, then he starts the bridge Monday.

Take care Chrisy Xx

• Posted

Chrisy, I have Lichen Planus in my mouth as well.  I do the coconut oil 'pulling' so now and then.  Which means, I take a tablespoon full of coconut oil, let it melt in my mouth and swush it around for a while.  (do this after you have cleaned your teeth)  Then I spit it out in our compost bin.  (not through the sink or you'll create another problem)  It seems to keep the bleeding in check. I do this as soon as the gums look somewhat inflamed and some blood appears after brushing.
    • Posted

Hi Karen, yes I am waiting for total healing. I was very shaken and had to walk around a nearby shop for a while until I stopped feeling so shaky. He is normally a brilliant Dentist so I think I was just unlucky. Good luck For Friday and after. X
    • Posted

Thank you Hanny. I read this before and do coconut oil mouth rinse too. For others reading this it sounds horrid but I found it quite pleasant. Have read this is a teeth whitening tip too.
    • Posted

The teeth whitening is an added bonus, indeed.
    • Posted

Hi Chrisy

Hope your okay and your mouth as healed up now so you can continue with your treatment... My hygienist app got cancelled she had to go to hospital so I havnt had that done yet, not sure how it will go as it isn't pleasant at the best of times, but had my bridge sorted.X

• Posted

Hi Karen. I hope you get sorted with Dentist soon. Yes my mouth healed well in a very short time. He finished my treatment. He also sorted out a tooth that had been damaged when I was a child by the roots of my baby teeth.Two indents on the front which were going brown. Silver lining. He cleaned them then filled them with a clear filling which meant the natural colour of my tooth shows through and you can't tell it's filled. No charge as it is classed as a filling and part of my original treatment. he then cleaned my teeth so no hygienists visit. I hate that more than fillings. All done now for another 6months. He was very kind. I go in hospital, strike willing, for my op on my other foot On Sunday so am busy filling freezer for hubby to help him when I am out of action. He was brilliant last time cooking. Cleaning ironing and everything, but he got stressed at times. He wasn't working then and I didn't realise how immobile I would be. This time I am going to be more prepared as he is working now too. Luckily I have a good friend who will help out and walk the dogs when he can't. I'll be in hospital 3-6days and the surgery will take all day apparently. It took 7 weeks in non-weight bearing cast. until I got a walking boot and even then I couldn't stand for long. Can't wait till it is all over and I can get walking this weight off quicker. I seem to have stayed the same weight for weeks. All the best Karen and Thank-you for thinking about me x
    • Posted

Hi chrisy

So pleased everything went well at the dentist for you... that's a relief when it's over,and sure helps with a good dentist, lucky your mouth healed quickly too...

Hope you get to go in hospital on Sunday and get your other foot sorted, time flys.. doesn't seem that long ago when you had your other foot done... Must be nice having such a good husband a big help to you..

and a good friend... Anyway you take care and let me know how it goes.. X

• Posted

Thank you Karen. I know it is hard to believe but my other foot was operated on November 2014. Like you say seems like only a few months ago. Glad when all over though. Hope my ls/lp stays calm, having a good period at the moment. It helps to have this site. I will have my phone this time so I can keep in touch with everyone. That will be nice. Let me know how you get on at Dentists too. X
    • Posted

Will do Chrisy

I knew it was some time back you were in hospital but no way did I think it was 2014..

Glad you will have your phone with you makes things so much easier... Speak with you soon X

• Posted

Hi Chrisy

Hope all is going well for you and your now back home being spoilt.. Take care thinking of you. X

• Posted

Hi Karen, yes back home last night. Feeling a bit dizzy with the pain killers. Had a huge ls flare night before I went in and was actually bleeding. Have managed to calm things down now. I had actually cut out all drinking. Sweets and everything before I went in for a week but to no avail. Stress is definitely my trigger. The op went well though and I came home day three as promised, not 6 days like last time. I was so pleased. Hubby is caring for me and friends and family are calling in when he is at work. The only real problem now is a white hard lump on my labia. Not had this before. It is sort of in a hard ridge of white skin. If the clob doesn't work in a week or so I will have to call Gp. Have you ever had hard lumps like this. I am a little worried about it xxx
    • Posted

Glad your home Chrisy, at least you are not short of helpers and the op went well on your foot, bit different to last time, it's not surprising you had a flare up with the stress of it all, funny you should mention the lump, I seem to have more lumps and bumps these days I think it's the LP... Iv even noticed a little one on my nose, whenever I mention anything like this to the doctor he just says we get these things as we age, never seem to get a straight answer, and I hate going as it is, try not to worry Chrisy I'm sure it will all calm down. Xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Karen. I know what you mean. I'm hoping it will too.

I also have white small marks appearing along my upper lip line. When I spoke to the dermatologist about it she just brushed it off as nothing to worry about. I am worried it will end up leaving me looking disfigured. We all notice even minute changes on our bodies. What started as one mark is now four over two years. I used to have a perfect lip line very defined. Now I have to pencil it in if I wear lipstick. I wish our worries were taken seriously. I just want things explained so I know what is happening. Then I can accept the changes if I know nothing can be done to prevent things from getting worse. Thankyou for taking the time to reassure me.

• Posted

It's good we can chat on here Chrisy... Hope your feeling a bit better today, it is a nightmare I have a white bump on my eyebrow and nose and mouth, like you say it makes it worse because nobody explains anything and it makes us lose confidence and being women yes we do notice every little blemish... Oh well off to work can really do without this today I have a banging headache... You take care Xx
    • Posted

Hope your headache improves. Drink plenty. Have a good day x
    • Posted

I don't wear lipstick anymore for this reason.  A little bit of coconut oil serves me better. 
    • Posted

Hi Hanny, what are the white marks. I've researched but can't find out what they are. I've thought vertiligo , ls or lp just don't know but would like to stop more developing. I have used coconut oil too for my lips. Also as a mouth wash.
    • Posted

Hi Chrisy,

​I dont know.  Could it be lp related?  The coconut oil is soothing, that's something at least.

• Posted

Thanks. Wrong emotion or maybe not lol xx:-)
    • Posted

Hi Chrisy

Hope your doing okay.... Did you mention the little lump to the doctor

X

• Posted

Hi Karen, I'm getting there. I didn't get a chance to mention it. It burst and bleed a bit then disappeared. Weird it was so white. I'm home and not able to get to Doc's at moment. But I will mention it when I am mobile again. Seems okay now. Thanks for asking. How are you now? X
    • Posted

Oh I'm not too bad Chrisy a bit up and down, drives me mad when I can't eat what I want and these little bumps so annoying.... I'm tired with working Chrisy was really busy today, came home and fell asleep in the garden...my body hair is really sparse I hardly shave now.... don't know whether that's a good thing or not... You take care and rest that foot X
    • Posted

You sound a bit down. When can you give up work? I think the sparseness is an ageing thing. I think it is a good thing as your skin gets thinner as you age. I can't imagine that shaving thin skin would be safe x
    • Posted

Are you the same Chrisy with this sparseness... I can't really give up work Chrisy now I'm on my own, the house as been signed over to me and I get a good pension share of his money but can't really get it till I'm 60 then it's a small lump sum really and payments every month, but I'm going to see can I get it early.... He's never even seen our daughter since he went off cheating she's at leeds uni doing medicine and he's just cut himself off X
    • Posted

Are you over 55?? If so you can get financial advice from age UK. It might even be 50 but you can ring and ask the question. Last time I had the op my husband was working away from home and had to give up to look after me. They advised us to claim pension credit which was a great help and entitled us to get other benefits. Not that I advocate claiming benefits but with not much income we needed help and they were brilliant. Maybe they could help you. As soon as I could manage he got a job local so that this time we could cope with help from friends and family. Worth asking the question x
    • Posted

Yes I am also quite sparse these days. Just had my 60th birthday so I kind of accept it as normal. My sister is the same

• Posted

Thanks Chrisy

I will look into that but his pension is NHS I'm nearly 58 and I think I might be able to take it early but with penalties, my son in law will look into it for me to see how much I will lose X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.