What am I doing wrong??

Posted , 4 users are following.

been to slimming world for 18 months lost 23lds could not loose anymore I was stuck. Went to doctor and he suggested orlistat I had been retaking them for 3 weeks and it's strange I am getting lots of people at work saying I have lost more weight but the scales are not showing it. Starting back so this week to get me back on track. My clothes feel slack and I was a 22 now 16 in trousers. I feel bad as it is not shifting the pounds. I am not doing much exercise apart from dog walking is there where I am going wrong. Please help xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Carol, I'm very new to Orlistat just been on it for four days, but i wondered if you had tried reducing your calorie intake, I have 6 stone to lose and have read that most people are having around 1500 calories a day and there are some people on as low as 1200 calories which I think is way to low for me so I am sticking to 1500 a day, sometimes we lose inches rather than numbers on the scales, also once you build muscle that tends to weigh a little more too. As you've lost a lot of weight over the last 18 months it could be that you need to up your exercise as sometimes your body needs an extra push.

Hope this helps and hope the orlistat starts working for you xx

• Posted

Hi Carol, well I think you have done amazingly well to have dropped from a size 22 to a 16 so you should be really pleased with yourself. I can imagine it is frustrating though, being stuck when you still have that bit more weight to lose. A couple of ideas: have you reduced your calorie intake? I ask because as you lose weight you have to lose calories as well because as you shrink you need less energy etc. I started dieting on 1400 calories per day but have lost 20lbs and so now stick to 1200 because I got stuck.

I have also had to increase my exercise as well as I've lost weight. Do you build up a sweat and heartbeat when you walk the dog. A lot of people say you just have to walk for 20 mins per day but my doctor and my nutritionist both say that is not true if that is your only exercise. They say you need to walk for about 40 minutes a day and walk briskly so you get a work out.

Finally, you can still shrink and lose inches without the scales shifting. As people are noticing you are shrinking and commenting on it, I would suggest this is happening to you. I would take your measurements - boobs, midriff, waist, stomach, hips, thighs, over the knee, top of calf, ankle and top of arm. Don't rely on the scales so much as it's size that matters together with health, and not so much weight. This happened to me as I did not lose anything for ages but people started to really comment and my family were really shocked at how much weight (or mass) I'd lost, and when I took my measurements I had lost about 3 inches overall.

I would think as you have lost a lot of weight, have shrunk to a size 16 you need to reduce your calorie intake to 1200 per day, stick to the 5g of fat rule, and up the exercise. This will work. I think as you get smaller the exercise plays a really crucial part in the weight loss and toning up.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank u so much ladies for the advice. I know mysel I need to exercise more.  I am so tired all the time and working full time. Although this is not an excuse I need motivation and get out and work up a sweat. I will keep in touch and let u know how I get on. Thank u so much xxxx
  • Posted

Hi after some advice, only been taking 3 days but I really thought there was a miracle in that the weight would drop off, no change on scales.  I really don't know if I'm doing something wrong

breakfast Special K porridge

lunch ham sandwich with beetroot

tea salad with mackerel

snacks carrots and blueberries

i do sit ups morning and night

no weight loss, can you help with and menu ideas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.