what antidepressents to use?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone know what is the best antidepressent ? There must be some studies on the subject. Can you help? Thank You

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Veronica

i myself take Lexapro 20mg and it seems to help with my anxiety, but everybody is different, so what works for some may not work for others. 

• Posted

Only a Neurologist or Psycologist  can tell you this.

As I mention elsehwere, Anti-depressants can be actually quite dangerous, both in terms of addiction and actually causing more problems than they solve.  

Talking to someone who can take on board why you are depressed and how you can walk around the scenario, i.e. what is making you depressed.   When I had my first adult epileptic fit in 1999, the first thing I said to my GP was: "I don't wan't you to reach for your prescription pad".  

The serious of that seisure in 1999 (actually it nearly killed me) meant that he automatically referred me to the Neurologist. The first thing that the Neurologist did was to send me for a CT Scan and EEG (Electro Encepholo Gram). 

Thank-fully these came out negative from what we all suspected and that was the fit had been triggered by a stroke, or brain tumor, but to do with chemical imbalance caused by a series of stressful event at work and becomming fretful as a result.  

Actually I still hold the Director I reported in to wholly responsible for the situation; and it is of no coincidence that another member of staff left his department as she was being put under so much stress. In fact in  a short space of time, across the company there was a very high turnover of staff.  Surely not all of these people were suffering from depression, as this accountant tried to assert. My suggestion was to stick with accountancy and let Doctors do diagnostics of medical conditions!

Anti-depressesants should be bespoke and not something you buy off the shelf like a cold remedy !

• Posted

Hi the best ad is what suits you as we are all different and what works for some won't work so well for others.   They only way is to keeping trying different ones until you find one which helps you best.  I had 2 others before finally settled on sertraline 150 mg.  It's a case of trial and error.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.