What are life time precoutions after thr

Posted , 6 users are following.

How are you doing dears am doing great here after 1 year post op I need to know our life time precourions

While siting

Sports how can avoid risks any advise pleas

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hello darling, 

good to see you back here and you apparently are doing great --- 

I don't think I can answer your question ... what kind of sports did you do before your hip journey ?  normal precautions, I guess ...

anything in particular you want to know ? 

maybe other members will come with advise -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I had complex surgery bc of my life time desplaced hip now I just feel some weak musles but I have fear to if i make my artifial hip life time short by doing wrong moves

i would like to know those do's and dont do's last long for ever ?

• Posted

This is a tough question. I have seen people here reporting doing a full range of sports. I really think though that it depends ... as usual. Was yours a straightforward case? Do you feel your muscles are well healed?

Have you spoken with your surgeon about this ....

Personally, I want my hip to last as long as possible so I will avoid contact sports or sports with extreme speed.

It might be worth looking for a sorts therapist to develop a physio/exercise program to strengthen all your surrounding muscles ...

Best wishes.

L

• Posted

My surgeon told me not to play in league hockey games due to the contact, however, he said it was ok to play in pick up type games, much less contact.

The only life time precaution he told me was not take up any new sports.

I play enough !

Have a great day !!biggrincheesygrin

• Posted

hi rich,

im interested and encouraged by what you have written.

im also hoping to return to, i think what you term "pick up" sessions. in my case it will be rugby. i dont have any intention of playing full contact, but as im sure is the case with hockey, there is always the occasional knock (if there wasnt, it wouldnt be competitive!??)

so, may i ask, when you returned to your sport, please. best wishes,

chris (thr june 6th 2016)

• Posted

I had my first THR in Jan 2013, I went back to "pick up" hockey games, which were much less competitive than league play.  I would compare it to all-star games in American Pro sports where this is not much defense played.  I waited 11 months before I asked the surgeon and he gave me the ok, much to the dismay of my wife !!!  Yes, there is some contact, but  I pretty much knew who to stay away from.

I was still playing "pick-up" until this past Dec, but I sprained my ankle badly playing tennis of all things.  If I was going to get hurt, rather be while playing hockey !!  It was getting harder and harder at that point to play up to my standards so I stopped.  The advil etc... I was taking for my new bad hip was not as effective as it was with other hip before THR.

I did start playing tennis/raquetball 3-4 months after my first THR, 

obviously no contact.  My play improved greatly in all my sports with my first new hip.

Right now I am 4 weeks and 3 days post op.  My physical therapy/p/t is going great.  I will start swimming at 6 weeks and hope to play tennis/raquetball in about 3.5 months.

I would assume I am older than you ? I am 56.

Good Luck in Rugby etc....biggrin

• Posted

Thankyou all this is why am proud of by this group it helps me befor my op while my rehab and now may God bless you all 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.