What are the best probiotics?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Firstly I'd like to say thank goodness I've found this forum, it's brilliant! I was diagnosed with DVD six months ago & although I have a very supportive partner he will never fully understand how debilitating this horrible disease is & what a lonely place it can be sometimes, it's reassuring to know I'm not alone.

Since my my diagnosis I have completely changed my diet & things had been ok'ish. But two weeks ago I had a flare up which has improved slightly with antibiotics, but I'm still not quite there. I've been reading about the VSL3 probiotics but they are so expensive & I just wondered if anyone has found a cheaper alternative?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The only probiotics i have is in easyyo  yogurt but i do not know

if it is doing any good

​the doctor gave me charcoal tablets to take with meals for the gases in my stomach.

​they seem to be helping.but not at firstit took a few days.

​i like to take more natural pills,

i

• Posted

Thanks Linda, I've tried charcoal tablets but they didn't really help me unfortunately, I've seen that lots of people use probiotics so I just wondered what the best ones were?
  • Posted

Hi Sheree. I found the condtition so debilitating and effected my life so much with regular 5 day stays in hospital. I made the decision to have elective surgery and had it all cut out. 8  months on, Im almost 100% and feel fantastic. I can now eat what i like but just smaller portions and the swelling bloating weight gain have all gone. I can only tell you how it has effected me, but am glad I made that decision. Good luck with your journey. x
    • Posted

Hi Maggie,

It's great to hear a happy ending to your story, I suppose I'm lucky that mine isn't as bad a yours was & hopefully it won't be but that's the awful thing about this disease isn't it, you just never know what's coming! I'm so pleased you see feeling better & I hope it stays that way x

• Posted

Depending on where you live you can try Activia yougurt and Kefir Probiotic Milk.  I find these really good. If you are in the UK I believe there is a local store everyone goes to to get probiotics..for the life of me I can't remember what the name is.. My husband was the same until I made him go to the doctor's with me and have the doctor explain.  Now that he understands that I may look ok on the outside but my insides are doing a number on me he's been a big help and very supportive.

You have definitely come to the right place for support and understanding.  I don't know what I'd do without the friends I've found on here.  I've gotten way better advice from here than from any of my doctors.

Sorry for your diagnosis but welcome to the family confused

• Posted

i eat easy yo yogurt which you make up your self so there is fresh bateria .when i looked on a probiotic bottle it seem to have a lot more different bateria  i dont like to take pill form i prefer natural does it matter if i dont take pills .

​it sounds like you take the natural way.

• Posted

i have also found on wed site that if you have prebiotics it feeds the good bacteria in your stomach as probiotics just gives you good bacteria .read what i asked sunni on your site about good bateria.
  • Posted

after reading sunni reply i looked up kefir milk it has more different bacteria than normal yogurt.  10 to 20 different strains.

​so i am going to try it.

hope you found this helpfull

• Posted

I'm really delighted to have found this forum also. It helps sharing symptoms and ideas for reducing them. And as my latest ones are socially embarrassing I can't talk about them to friends. I'm also changing my diet to counteract the adverse reactions the laxatives prescribed by my GP are causing me. It's also early days at the moment but I'm becoming desperate as although I'm currently pain free, I'm having such problems with my bowels and gas that it's affecting my life dramatically. I'm having to stay home most of the time and venturing out only when absolutely necessary. Good luck with your search for probiotics. I think

I'll look them up

To see if they can help.

Sharon.

• Posted

It's horrible isn't it Sharon, I get lots of painful gas & bloating too & it's very embarrassing. I've have just ordered some kefir milk as recommended by Sunni, it has some great reviews & I'm at the stage where I'm willing to try anything.
  • Posted

Hello. the name  of the probiotic that a lot of us are now happily using is

called  ACIDOPHILUS with pectin capsules,, with 3 billion good bacteria

Two a day  If you live in the U.K Holland & Barrett sell them You will notice a

difference,and don't miss doses

• Posted

Thanks Jacqueline, I used to take these as a doctor once recommended them to me when I thought I had IBS. I seem to remember them helping me but for some reason, I didn't keep it up. I think I must have been feeling better for a while & let things slip, which is what seems to happen with me when I'm back on track. I need to be more disciplined. I will definitely try some more!
    • Posted

Holland & Barrett have Acidophilus on offer at the moment ,buy one get

one for a penny,

The thing is sheree you can'd do the stop start regime you have to take them daily, so they can form a barrier against the bad guys 

We can only recommend as we find ,and can't make you better, only more comfortable with product that help 

• Posted

Yeah, thanks Jacqueline I am going to be much stricter with my regime. My flare up has come back over night & the doctor is putting me back on the antibiotics for another week, I feel so sick, she thinks the infection might not have cleared up properly? This has really stopped me in my tracks & made me realise how seriously I need to take it. It doesn't help that I'm worrier, it's a vicious circle really isn't it. It's comforting to know there are others out there who know exactly what I'm going through!
    • Posted

Oh dear sheree ,not good, lets hope it's not a big flare ,Don't enrage

your stomach,just send bits of sloppy stuff down, with lots of flavoured

still water, and REST. And take the probiotics

Hope you get pain free soon.sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.