What Are The Optimal Levels For HRT?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am still having issues with my hormones and it seems the 3 Dr.s I have seen all have different opinions. I know everyone is different but can someone tell me what the optimal levels are for bloodwork? Where should my levels be to feel fairly good?? Please make sure that you notice the pg or the ng etc as those can vary. I told my Dr he needs to put me on testosterone for sure and after beggin he did as a free of 19 is way too low. So, what about the estrogen and progesterone? 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

• Posted

Hope again, well here goes.  And no this isn't easy.  First: Age, meno status, hyster??

There are so many variables.  A younger women generally needs more estrogen, hysterectomy with or without ovaries adds a whole additional dimention, and if you had/are having natural menopause.   

• Posted

In menopause. I have my uterus but only 1 ovary. 49 years old smile

• Posted

Hi Hope again,

The doctors in my practice do not seem to be very clued up on hrt. So I have not had any checks on bloods. I have had various kinds of hrt over a number of months and was finally put back on the hrt they had taken me off because of my age. This no longer appears to work as my on hormone levels must have dropped. I upped my own dose of estrogen to 2mg, 1mg in the morning and one at night. This really helped and I finally got some sleep and most of the other symptoms improved. However, I then had to go on to the dual estrogen and progesterone tablet a few days ago. The first day I had a constant headache,but worse, I could not sleep. The second day, I felt quite anxious and again did not sleep. I phoned my surgery and had a message back from the doctor to stop taking the joint tablet. So for the past two days I have taken the estrogen only tablets. My sleep has not improved and I have pains like period pains. I can only surmise that I have enough progesterone in my system and taking the extra was too much. I will have to see if the estrogen level comes back up and I can get some sleep again. So really, everyone is different and at different levels, depending on their own bodies hormones, so there appears to be a lot of trial and error. I now worry that I will have too much estrogen, but at the moment, after many months of the panics, anxiety and sleeplessness, I need some kind of normality. Hope some of this helps.

• Posted

I am realizing that too much estrogen can cause a lack of sleep as well as too much estrogen lowers testosterone which makes me not be able to sleep. It seems all Dr.s think that a dry vagina and lack of sleep is from not enough estrogen but for me I had a dry vagina and lack of sleep from not enough testosterone. 
  • Posted

Ok, that info does help, however just know that even stil this may be difficult.  So one ovary removed, in natural meno, and 49.   

Most every expert suggests that it is important to get the estrogen right before adding anything else, yet even that isn't always easy.  And one thing that has taken me a long time to understand is while we all want to make this easy and just watch blood work, somehow, that information sometimes doesn't really do the trick. And this is the reason many doctors want to go by symptoms instead of blood work.   I've read many authorities say that a women feels her best when the estradiol level is at 100pg/ml.  But there are women who say they only feel better at 150-200pg/ml.  And those who simply can't get to even 100pg/ml without odd symptoms, weight gain and bloating.  

With a uterus, you will need to also take progesterone to protect it.  And as far as testosterone, most all experts agree that you must get stable on estrogen and progesterone in order to include testo, or you will have unwanted side effects, and some of them are irreversable.  Yet I read one article where this women was using testo ONLY, loved it and felt great.  Again, this really illustrates the chemical differences in all women. What worked for her, might put the next woman under a bus.  

Then here comes the real tricky part, how to take the hormones!  There are so many differnt methods, and what works well for one woman can feel horrid to another.  Some women love patches, and they are often said to more closely match the way our bodies would produce estrogen.  However some women HATE them.  Some women do well on Estrace tablets once in the morning, while others don't.  Then there are creams, gels, pellets, mist, injections, vaginal routes, sublinguals, and trouches.   Honestly the reason all these exist, is because not all women do well on any one given form of estrogen replacement.  

So yes, this can all be very confusing and difficult to find what really works well for you.  The one thing all women seem to agree with, is the start low and go slow philosophy.  Too much up and down can really through your body into a tail spin.  It seems our bodies like consistent.  But I know first hand how difficult it is to go slow.  We want to feel "NORMAL" yesterday, not 3 months from now.

• Posted

Yes! I am sooo impatient. I can't stand waiting. I am finding that too much estrogen is a bad thing. Like I told the reader above that I found that too much estrogen caused me not to be able to sleep, more hair growth, and a dry vagina. It is weird because most Dr.s think oh, she needs more estrogen, but in my case the more estrogen I took the lower my libido, the drier the vagina, and less sleep. Estrogen lowers testosterone. I look at it this way......If you have enough estrogen but not enough testosterone then you might be able to lubricate but you can't because you can't get aroused. That was me! I am doing so much better now on 1 spray Evamist and testosterone cream smile

• Posted

My gyne yesterday halved my estrogen from 2mg to 1mg as I had been having bleeding and period like pain and he said it was due to too much estrogen causing the lining of my womb to thicken. He did not alter my progestrone, so I will be continuing on 100mg a day. He has told me in the past that you must take progestrone to protect the uterus if you are taking estrogen. No one has ever mentioned testosterone to me at any time - am I missing something here???

I don't really know what to expect with half the dose of eostrogen but I am definitely hoping that the bleeding will stop permanently!

• Posted

Hope you don't mind sharing, but how do you take the progesterone?  Is it a 100mg prometruim pill?  Cream or vaginal?  So you notice anything different when you take it?  Any odd sensation?   

• Posted

Hi Gailannie,

Yes, it's a 100mg prometrium pill. I can't honestly say I've noticed any strange or unusual sensation that I attribute to it. Have just started taking it on its own later in the evening so if I notice anything I will certainly update you.

• Posted

Testosterone is a huge thing for me! My levels were so low that I was losing all my hair, loss every muscle I had, droopy skin, no sleep, and zero libido. My testosterone was way too low so I found that actually lowering my estrogen and upping the testosterone helped me way more. I don't like the go by symptom thing alone because too low of estrogen can cause vaginal dryness as well as too low testosterone. I have been doing this HRT thing for a year and realizing that testosterone is very important to sleep, libido, strength, blood sugar issues, etc.

• Posted

I am using ZERO progesterone. I know my gynecologist is one of the rare ones that doesn't agree with you have to use it. She said it can cause more problems than good. NOW, that being said I am using one spray of Evamist so my levels of estrogen are very low. The chances of any uterine problem at that low of a dose is actually very, very low. When I was on the prometrium I had horrid hypoglycemia, massive weight gain, sleep problems, so she put me on the lowest dose of estrogen HRT I believe there is available and added testosterone. I am feeling so much better already. Most Dr's insist you use progesterone and I am not opposed to it but I won't use the 100 prometrium because it is wayyyyy too much. I have a gynecology appt soon and I will be asking her about it again. If she still believes I don't need it then I won't use it because she is a younger Dr. and she is very wise with hormones. I have had more help with her than 3 endocrongologists. If she thinks it is good to use a progesterone then I will have her compound one but maybe like 20 mg. The prometrium is just way, way too much unless you use mass amounts of estrogen and then I just bloat, swell, etc. On the one spray Evamist I have actually lost the bloating, weight, etc. The oral pills are hard because you lose 80 percent in your liver according to my gynecologist and everything I've seen online so you are taking 4 times the amount to get the same affect of a tiny amount on your skin. I am loving the skin route and see way better results than the oral. smile

• Posted

The oral pills are hard because you lose 80 percent in your liver according to my gynecologist and everything I've seen online so you are taking 4 times the amount to get the same affect of a tiny amount on your skin. I am loving the skin route and see way better results than the oral.  [smile]

• Posted

Hi gailannie. Just a brief update. As you know from above my gynea reduced my eostrogen to 1mg (from 2mg) and left my progestrone at 100mg. I made the change on Tuesday last and, lo and behold, I'm bleeding heavily again!!!

I don't want to run off to him again with yet another issue, so am just wondering if this is normal when the level of eostrogen has been changed? And, if so, does it eventually settle down again?

I am so sick of bleeding at this stage and I'm worn out from it.

• Posted

I'd call the office and let him know.  What this is saying is that the estrogen you were taking 2mg, was enough to stimulate your uterine lining, Your drop last Tuesday down to 1 mg. dropped your level enough to cause bleeding.  You are in menopause, CORRECT? 

The goal in menopause with HRT is to get your estrogen high enough to satisfy your body's need and illiminate symptoms, but protect your uterine lining with the progesterone so it doesn't overgrow and cause bleeding.  Are you taking progessterone daily (continuous therapy) or 14 days a month (cyclical therapy)?  

This new adjustment may take a while to settle in with your body.  But I'd at least call your doctor and let him know what's happening.        

• Posted

Thank you gailannie.

I am taking the progestrone (Prometrium) every day. I am well and truly in menopause (aged 55) and had no bled for years until Christmas when all this began. At this point, with the exception of 4-5 days, I have been bleeding constantly since then. This is by far the heaviest bleeding I have had though.

As I only made the change on Tuesday of last week I had planned on waiting until early next week to see if the bleeding settles down again once I have allowed time for adjustment to the new lower dose. But perhaps that is not a wise decision? I feel like the last two months have been a constant round of doctor visits and trips to the gyneacologist - they must thing I'm a hypochondriac!!!!

• Posted

Totally get feeling like a hypochondriac.  But it is more than obvious that the combination you are on, isn't right for you.  the correct hrt after menopause SHOULD handle common symptoms, yet protect your uterine lining, and shouldn't cause bleeding.  So some adjustment is definately necessary. Let us know how things go.  

• Posted

Will do. Have just called gyneacologist and am being referred to Emergency Dept at hospital to have it checked out. Just waiting for hubby to get home to take me there. Thanks gailannie.
    • Posted

Oh sorry.  But don't panic about this.  Just get in, let them look at some things and take it from there.  

Please let us know how it went.

• Posted

Hi gailannie. Spent all day at the hospital (most of it waiting!) Was examined by a gynecologist, had bloods done etc. The hospital gyneacologist then contacted my regular gyneacologist and it was agreed between them that I stop HRT altogether and immediately eek - I was not expecting that. They have given me a tablet called cyklokapron (tranexamic acid) to take every six hours to (hopefully) stop the heavy bleeding and then I have to return to my own gyneacologist early next week.

My head is now all over the place. The HRT was working perfectly well for me for 3 years (and two years prior to that on a different one) until Christmas Eve when I first started bleeding. That bleeding was investigated and showed thickened endometrial lining and the subsequent biopsy showed no issues. So, to reduce the thickness of the lining he halved the dose of estrogen from 2mg to 1mg and left the progestrone at 100mg - and the bleeding got much, much heavier. Now they are stopping it altogether?? What will happen when the ckylokapron is completed? Will I just start bleeding again? Will the menopause symptoms all return? Why, after all these years, has everything become so complicated?

I don't want to stop taking HRT at this point as I was having no menopause symptoms while on it until now. My gyneacologist asked me at my recent consultation if I would consider stopping it and I flatly refused and he didn't push the issue or seem to make a big deal of it.

But I feel he won't prescribe it for me again after all this and I will be just left with menopause symptoms. I am wondering if I should ask him about a hysterectomy or is that too drastic? At least, if that happened, I would have no further issue with bleeding and could take HRT?

I'm so confused at the moment I just don't know what way to focus my thoughts.

• Posted

I'm so sorry about this for you.  There are some women who do fine with a hysterectomy, but there are others who are sorry they had it done.  I think it would be an after the fact kind-of-thing that you can't undo.

But yes, this puts you in a pickle.  Hope you are feeling somewhat better and the bleeding stops.  Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

• Posted

Hi.The bleeding is finally easing. It hasn't stopped but is lighter and the break from it is wonderful.

Seeing my gyneacologist on Monday.

• Posted

Back to gyneacologist again this morning. Taken off the cyklokapron - he seemed surprised that I only stopped bleeding yesterday having been on it for 4.5 days??? Sticking his heels in on the HRT - wants me to stay off it due to the extent of the bleeding.

Have to go into hospital on Friday for a hysteroscopy and D&C so he can take a closer look inside and establish the cause of this bleeding. He says it's more thorough than the biopsy (which I didn't find very reassuring as I thought the negative biopsy ruled out any possibility of a 'sinister' problem?)

He says that if nothing is found and 'all seems well inside' he will consider giving me the HRT again, although he'd prefer not to. I'd prefer if he did as I don't want menopause problem if I can avoid them.

The word hysterectomy didn't come up at all, so obviously its not on the radar at this point.

• Posted

Well good, glad to hear things are going as well as they can for now.  

Possibly you need some other doctor to help you get better adjusted on HRT.

Just a thought. 

• Posted

Yes - I had thought of that too. But I think its important first to get everything checked out before I do anything else.

His reason for not wanting me to continue on HRT is that I've been on it for approx 6 years and he wants to see how I'd be without them. But I feel there are benefits to HRT such as mood stabilizing, bone health, better skin and hair etc - maybe I'm wrong to base my wish on taking it for this?? He says the risk of cancer (breast and endometrial) increases by 2% after being on it this long and its not worth the risk. Are we both right??

• Posted

This a an issue I also grapple with. There are many "experts" who truly believe that we are healthier WITH LONG TERM HRT, than without.  Whether it's heart health, bones, brain, even depression. Some doctors believe that it helps keep us stronger.  I'm afraid I'm one of those who has bought into that argument.  Not sure if it's right or wrong, but it does make some sense to me.  There are days where it feels like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.  

The worst problem I've had, is that I can't seem to find an HRT regimine that makes me feel normal.  Everything seems to have it's drawbacks.  

The perfect HRT is one that gives you some estrogen while protecting your uterus.  Hope you can get there.  

• Posted

Sadly, like so many others, I have almost forgotten what 'normal' is. At this stage I'd quite happily settle for 'able'. Able to live without constant reminders of menopause, able to stop worrying about excessive bleeding, able to go to work and not feel exhausted, able to have a proper sexual relationship with my husband, able to leave the house without pads in my pockets and bag, able to plan a weekend away and not worry about bleeding - just 'able in general'!! Which, after writing all that makes your statement right - just be 'normal', which I kinda thought I was until Christmas Eve when all these recent problems started. The 'normal' I completely forget is the one before the menopause. But I've pretty much realised that the me from those days is gone forever - HRT or not.

What I have no idea about though is what the future holds? The menopause and all its weird changes must settle down at some stage?? So which 'me' will remain??  Will the pre-menopause me return or a new and totally different 'me' emerge? Will it be better or worse? What can I do to influence it and ensure that I am not just left as a little old lady before I'm ready to be a little old lady??!!

• Posted

Boy do I get that!   It's amazing the changes that come, ready or not.  Just a couple years ago, I was sporting a swim suit, cute little dresses, and feeling pretty good.  And that was even after menopause!  But boy did things change.  It seems it happened pretty quickly.  My first real indication that I was estrogen deficient was vaginal atrophy and dryness, painful sex.  And nothing will kill a sex life like painful sex.  

Yet, my body seems to reject replacement estrogen.  I can't seem to figure this out, and it drives me crazy.  Sure seems like my body should react in a positive way, but it doesn't.  So somethings off.  Seems the only time I feel half way normal is when I add progesterone to the mix.  So what's up with that?  Even my hair looks weird and is really funky with estrogen only.  Add the progesterone, it looks, moves and acts more normal.

Don't know what you were taking, but have you experienced any odd reactions to HRT?  I mean, besides that horrible bleeding.

Maybe it's just my old body, I turned 60 a couple months ago.  But know I must do something or this vaginal atrophy and dryness will only get worse.  It never goes away, so all we can do is try to keep things semi normal there also.  

I just wish people were more honest about this aging thing.  It might not have caught me so off guard, if older folks would share the experience and prepare us for what's coming.  Honestly, my heart kind of breaks a bit, for all those women posting they are now in perimenopause.  Cause I know what's heading their way.  

And as far as which "me" will remain?  I believe it will be a morphed person that will not be someone I really know.  Things have changed so  much already, I can't imagine it's gonna get any better.  Even my interests have changed.  Much like the difference from being a child, then becoming an adult.  While our essence may still be there, we are very different people.  And I see nothing wrong with grieving our loss, unless we get permanently stuck in that hole.  But this is a huge change, and I think grieving it, is somewhat healthy and will allow us to move forward after processing everything.  

One of the things I simply hate is, I never had to worry about anything. Certainly not lab work at the doctors.  But then you go into menopause, your BP changes, your cholesterol changes, bone density changes, what you can eat changes And all of a sudden you don't even know your body anymore!  That's a pretty unpleasant situation to be in, when you have always known exactly what your body needed, or how to handle things.  My doctor used to say he'd never known a women who knew her body as well as I did.  Now I don't even have a clue!!!  It so new, and foreign.  And the constant thought of something going wrong is awful.  I'm sure you can relate.     

• Posted

Exactly how I feel! I don't even know me anymore. I am severely depressed. I used to wear cute clothes and feel vibrant and now I feel dead inside. I want the old me back and yet I cannot find the right HRT to help with that. I also grieveee for women going through this. It is so very hard!

• Posted

Just thought I should mention that I've seen huge differences in use of oral progesterone vs vaginal delivery.  So keep this in mind if you are told you need some progesterone.  Cause boy the vaginal route is so much smoother for many women.  You can use some FDA approved products, like Crinone, or you can even insert Prometrium instead of taking it orally.  And there are plenty of compounded options as well.  The one I liked best is small amounts of progesterone in a capsule containing olive oil. 

But I'll also mention that the only time I feel right on esrogen is when I am also taking progesterone at the same time.  

So while I know your aren't feeling quite right, possible progesterone might be somehow involved.  But I think it's often so over prescribed, as you said 100mg is WAY TOO MUCH, a smaller dose might more closely match your need. I was given 2.5 - 5 mg vaginal capsules, that's huge differnece from 100mg (even taken orally)  

Just a thought.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.