what can and cant i do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

So far iv noticed that after my op my left leg still doesnt bed the way its meant to which is highly annoying but iv lived with it all my life and can continue to live with that issue.

My main question is what things in life may i not be allowed to do? Would i be able to go horse riding, do gymnastics, go on rides and other things that are hugh inmpact on bones.

My other thought is considering im only 20 I do from time to time go clubbing although obviously havent for a long time due to the pain. But what would happen if i had a few to many and were to fall, am i going to become paranoid about having nights and become even more antisocial?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Very real concerns on your part, Sarah. Have you asked your doctors these questions yet?

As for the drinking, my son has gone out with friends both in MidWest & while he was here. I just had to trust his judgement that he would be okay. And he was.

I don't think you are antisocial, Sarah. Hopefully you can find things in common with others - like music.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Thankyou. When i went for my 6 week check my doctor said his ouece and walked out, i actually had to shout him back to ask a few questions i had. Im starting ti get annoyed at my medical staff but i will ask when i go for physio.

im glad your son is managing to get out.

• Posted

Oh Sarah, that's just rude of him - you need answers to questions, otherwise his work could easily be put at risk.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Mahalo Sarah. It's unfortunate your medical professionals are not willing to listen to you enough to answer your questions.

Sometimes son pushes himself to do the socializing part as he feels it's what's expected or will learn more & unfortunately he's often been right. He says there was a lot more drinking after the conference sessions & back in the MidWest after workshops & writing groups than he took part in. And when he did, he paid the price in exhaustion even the following day.

Even for you, Sarah, it will be a choice to decide if it's too much.

Aloha, Soos

• Posted

Yup. He just walked out and didnt ask if i had any questions. Whereas when i went to see the surgeon about my shoulder he encouraged me to ask questions and give me lots if reassurence. All depends on the doctor i suppose
    • Posted

Yes thats very true. Hope hes being careful though.

Last week i went swimming twice which i find a lot easier than walking so i think i will be doing it twice a week now. Unfirtanetly i still have to use two crutches when i go out walking as i get tured easy with just 1, my legs just cant cope

• Posted

Yes, I have found that out.  My new surgeon is wonderful compared to the one who messed up my hip joint for me.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Graham - would it be acceptable for Sarah to write to the coordinating centre with a brief summary of her case to ask for advice re restrictions, etc. It needn't/ shouldn't be framed as a letter of complaint rather to gather more info on best practices ... or is this something her shoulder surgeon could investigate on her behalf?
    • Posted

I would have thought that would bea good idea.

Sarah, your case is unique, and you need to know the boundaries that you can safely go to, after all you are going to have these artificial hips for longer than most of us.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

My surgeon told me not take up any new sports.  I would listen to whaat your surgeon tells you.  

I fell on my THR (left hip) while playing hockey and I was fine.  I was told not to play league hockey due to contact. I am much older than you.

I dont even think about my THR, pretty soon, I will have the other one done soon.

Good Luck, you will be fine !!

• Posted

Oh haha. I didnt do any sports befote op so obvs still not gonna haha.

Ill just stick to my swimming then.

Becareful haha. Dont want to regularly fall. That may cause issues in the end. Goodluck with your next one

• Posted

Swimming es exellent as the water supports your body whilst allowing you to exercise your muscles.

Graham - 🚀💃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.