What can I do to stop burning

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI I am new to this forum, my left leg is good but my right has lots of veins in various shapes and sizes, I have what I think are spider veins all around the bottom of my leg near the ankle, I have a 3 inch band of darker skin around this area, it burns, but is cold rather than hot and stings, it is also a bit numb compared to my other leg. My GP looked and said nothing, did not prescribe anything just said buy some support stockings and wear them occasionally. I brought some flight socks and wear them but they do not stop the constant burning. I sit in an office all morning but do get up and move as often as I can, I also walk about 1 hour a day going to work and back, the veins I can live with, the constant sore burning is getting me down. I have tried Boots Leg Vein Treatment and rubbing various creams, but nothing helps. All the ladies in my family, fat or thin have varicose veins so hereditary I think. Any thoughts great appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Like you, I have one leg that is badly affected by varicose veins but in my case it is my left leg.  The first thing to appear was a throbbing bruise on my shin immediately following the birth of my son and I was treated for phlebitis.

The band of darker skin at the base of your leg sounds very much like varicose eczema - I was diagnosed with this shortly after starting some new blood pressure pills.  The skin in that area became blotchy and inflamed-looking.  It seems that many BP pills in particular are badly effecting my lower legs, no doubt due to the varicose vein sensitivity.

I definitely think you should have the "burning/stinging" symptoms investigated via something like a doppler ultrasound of your legs just to ensure that there is no blockage.  At the same time they take a blood pressure reading of your legs, however, I was unable to tolerate that part of the examination - the pain caused by the tightness of the cuff around my lower legs was just too much to bear.  However, the ultrasound itself didn't throw up any major problems.   Meanwhile, sit with you legs elevated at every opportunity.

• Posted

I have marks of bruised looking veins on the bottom of my left ankle and found it to be painful. I went to the doctors and they did describe me tablets and a cream to rub into the area 3-4 times a day. It did relive the pain. I did noticed that this bruise appearance first become noticeable when I wore jeans tucked into my boots. I avoided it after that.

I have had a vein removed in my right leg, and this left me with really bad bruising on the side of my right knee, which is now thread veins. Perhaps I'm prone to bruising easily? My legs are sensitive .

• Posted

Thanks for your replies, I am one of lifes pale people with horrible pink legs. My skin is sensitive and dry so probably need to moisturise more than I do. I will look for some exzma cream in the chemist. It is funny as the last 2 blood pressure tests have been higher than usual so maybe connected. What tablets were you prescribed Amanda so that I can ask my GP is they would work for me? Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.