What can the optician actually see during an examination?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I know your eyes, before somebody comments that lol...

Basically, I had an eye exam last week, I explained to the optician that now and again, but rare, I see a small dot or very small blob of light, sometimes white, sometimes blue. It's very quick, it flashes almost, and also how if I'm watching TV and look away, I continue to see the light from the screen when I close my eyes. I had an examination in both eyes, which took about 20 minutes. At the end, he failed to mention the light I see on occassion, but just told me I am short sighted, with one eye worse than the other. I'm wondering if he would have spotted a problem if there were one there? As he failed to put my mind at ease by not mentioning it, I'm wondering if that is technically a good thing, or should I see a different optician? I know it's probably nothing serious, but I would have liked to hear him say that, rather than tell me what I already know. The only information I have is that I am slightly short sighted, with my left eye being the weakest. I stare at a computer screen a lot for work and in leisure time, but that's about it. Anybody ever had a similar experience?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

Those blobs you are seeing? Totally normal. It is only time to worry if you are seeing lots of white flasshing lights that don't go away. As for still seeing the TV when you look away, again that is completely normal, and will happen every time you have been looking at a bright light for a while (TV, Laptop, Window etc) then look somewhere darker or close your eyes.

I am also shortsighted with one eye worse then the other.

When an optician looks at your eye, they are looking to make sure all the blood vessels are healthy, that your retina looks good, that your optic nerve looks good etc etc. I am not sure exactly what they look at but I know they can see an awful lot, they can sometimes even tell if you have diabetes or swelling on the brain. Even some cancers. They say your eyes are the windows to your soul... and I believe it, but they are definitely windows into your body. I think if something bad was going on the optician would have picked up on it.

By the way, 'floaters' are also perfectly normal. They are just like little squiggly lines that you can see, and you can't really look straight at them as they move, it is so annoying! But they are extremely common, especially as you get older, and harmless. So if you ever see those, don't worry.

• Posted

Thanks Angel, that's cleared up more than the optician has. I thought myself if there were something wrong he wouldn't just write me a prescription for glasses, but I couldn't get it out of my head because he never spoke of it, he just said 'Ok lets have a look'. So thank you for your response smile 
  • Posted

As for your work by the way, you can ask for a screen to be put over your computer which makes it a bit dimmer which may help take the strain off your eyes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.