What Can You Achieve After A THR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

I know it’s a “we are all different folk” type of question, but wanted to ask what sort of things have you been able to achieve after your THR, I used to love walking and driving but in the last 18 months have cut back a lot.

So come on guys and gals, what’s been your best achievement after your THR....???

Keep it clean guys....lol

Would love to be able to go on some grand ish walks again one day...

Regards...PJ    

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

For me it was the realisation that the awful pain in my right hip was gone for good.

whilst I was in hospital I kept expecting the anaesthetic to wear off and the pain come back but it never did 😀

But I think what finally convinced me it had gone for good was going to the cinema and getting up after film had finished and being able to walk straight away - it was marvellous!!

normally I dreaded standing up after i had been sitting for any length of time because of the pain but ..... Nothing absolutely amazing

im still very stiff after sitting but thats because I've got arthritis all through my body but it's a different and maneable pain

• Posted

Hi from Exeter

Eight months on, it's firstly being pain free, secondly easily walking 6 miles on Dartmoor, and thirdly simply getting ny life back

Good luck!

Mic.x

• Posted

I know in my case from not being able to walk at all, to walking 1km by 12 weeks, I never pushed too hard in any one session, but I was persistent in doing some distance each and every day, the then extending that just a little more each day. I used the letter box method, first neighbour for 3-4 days then 2nd neighbour for 3-4 days, you have to remember you also have to return home, and so on. My husband who has heart failure built that up to 7 kms over 18 months or so.
  • Posted

My best thing is at six months post op being able to walk my dogs over the downs (and up steep hills)  , doing a full Pilates class, being able to tidy up my garden for the winter  and thinking about skiing again. I was unable to walk at all without crutches for 10 months before my operation as I was diagnosed with sciatica and only 7 weeks prior to my surgery it was decided I needed a new hip.
    • Posted

I guess it must look like that and in the main it is  althoughI  still have lots of aches and pains (nothing like before obviously!) due to everything trying to get back in line properly and I truly though that at 3 months I would be absolutely back to normal but it has taken longer than that.

Gill

• Posted

Wouldn't say it's the nost difficult thing i have done since the op but to walk down the high street pain free is a joy! To be able to do a few running steps is fantastic - before my op any impact was incredibly painful.
  • Posted

Hi all. I agree with Gillian. I also thought that by 3 months I would be 'perfect' and be able to do anything! I'm clearly doing well and enjoying life without the need for painkillers but still get a little stiff if sitting/laying in one position for long periods. I'm 3 and a half months and the physio told me yesterday that it takes about 6 months to properly recover and get full movement. No regrets about having the op 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.