What caused Your HFS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Greetings everyone I am curious I know what can cause HFS I am curious if any one knows for sure if theirs was an accident or injury to your nerve.

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Mine is not from any injury I am aware of. I was in a car accident about 25 years ago so maybe residual? I wonder what people have in common also. The only diagnosed medical condition I have is sleep apnea and generalized inflammation. I don't know if those have anything to do with it though.

• Posted

I have just had my first very small injections of botox for my rhf spasm. I can feel my eye trying to move, but it can't.

I was run over 50 plus years ago suffering fractured skull and numerous spinal injuries. At forty developed severe right sided migraine, which was eventually resolved after 30 years by cranial therapy when it was found the bones of my face were out of alignment.

Last year the whole right side of my face started twitching , followed by a slight stroke and in investigating this I was found to have thyroid cancer!

I have now had my second operation for this and am waiting for the next step, but I also am caring for my 95 year old husband with Alzheimer's !

I think physical injuries or malformations can cause this, but I also believe that strees is a great trigger.

Good luck in your search, but I can honestly say that the cranial osteopathy helped me far more than anything else.

• Posted

My understanding is that trauma can cause HFS but it is most commonly caused by a vein/artery compressing the 7th cranial nerve, eventually destroying the sheath that surrounds the nerve and then triggering spasms.  There is no known reason for the compression and it does just seem to be the 'luck of the draw'.  An MRI scan is useful in determining the cause of hemifacial spasms and in ruling out rare causes.  Hope this helps!

• Posted

Mine started with an eye twitch and gradually took over the right side of my face. I had an office job so no work injury or any other injury I know of. It just showed up for no apparent reason
  • Posted

My dentist suggested I have my wisdom teeth removed, at age 47. The day they were removed is when my spasms started.
    • Posted

can't be the cause of mine as they were all removed when I was 21.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.