What causes 'throat clearing habit' in adults?

Posted , 8 users are following.

My mother of 60 y/o has recently developed a problem whereby she clears her throat very often, sometimes up to every 10-20 seconds, and literally all day.

I think it is more habitual rather than necessity, and because of that I feel a bit awkward about bringing it up. She has no other symptoms and is generally in good health. Her sister has always had a mild form of Tourettes, she has certain smaill tics, but my mother has never shown any signs before.

I have searched the internet, but the only info regarding this seems to be about infants.

Any advice on bringing the matter up and getting help would be muchly appreciated..

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I agree that it is more likely she is clearing her throat out of habit rather than necessity. Did she have a cough/cold recently which may have triggered this response. She probably doesn't even know she is doing it so regularly. Does it really bother you?

You can just ask her if her throat is bothering her because you have noticed she seem to be clearing it a lot. Hopefully if you ask her in this manner you won't feel so awkward about it.

Maybe getting her some cough drops might help break the habit.

• Posted

This sounds like Silent Reflux, lots about this on the web. but basically to do with  a lack of stomach acid. 
  • Posted

Yes, I understand, chronic clearing throat habit without any symptoms is more annoying for friends and family than the patient. Perhaps it is a vicious cycle. Once someone becomes used to clearing their throat, it can become more of a behavioural issue - i.e. the more they clear their throat; the more they will feel like they need to clear it. However, clearing throat for more than three months, can make the condition chronic and can gradually alter the voice.

Try lifestyle modification changes prior to medications, if there are no serious symptoms, you can observe. Keep head elevated 30 degrees or more. Do not drink or eat within 3 hours of lying down.

Luis

• Posted

Last year, I constantly felt like I had this drip down the back of my throat, and I was always clearing my throat. I searched everywhere for the answer, but didn't find anything that helped. It took me nine months and many incorrect diagnosis to finally figure out. It wasn't silent reflux. It wasn't allergies. It wasn't a virus, or a bacteria. It wasn't just a habit.

In the end, it was something very simple and easy to solve. I had mild but chronic riboflavin deficiency.

Riboflavin, B2, is a water soluble vitamin that is needed every day, because you do not store more than a days supply in the body. Severe riboflavin deficiency is rare due to all the added riboflavin to bread and processed food. But mild riboflavin deficiency is common, and it can happen for lots of different reasons. When it does, your lips may get dry and chapped for a day or two. If you're lucky, that is all that will happen. But if it continues, your throat becomes dry and you feel every drip of mucus. You get this annoying tickle all the time.

Several of the B vitamins can actually cause this. And generally if you are deficient in one of the Bs, you are likely low in many of them because they all work together.

One clue to this problem being a riboflavin deficiency is if you also have dry eyes, or burning or itchy eyes. If you've been chronically low in B2, the whites of your eyes may have a lot of red veins.

A simple trip to the vitamin aisle for some high potency B2 (and a b-complex just to cover your bases) and you'll be on the road to recovery. It can take a week for complete improvement in your throat. Your eyes will feel better in minutes. Riboflavin is often prescribed for migraine sufferers as well.

Most of the B vitamins will affect the mouth and throat if you become even mildly low in them. I wish more doctors considered this as a possible cause. Maybe I would not have suffered so long. I had this problem for years. It probably started for me after some bad advice to avoid dairy products, one of the main sources of riboflavin in the diet. Many people are told to avoid dairy when they have nasal allergies, or mucus draining. But then you can have more problems if you are not getting enough riboflavin from somewhere else in your diet.

• Posted

Amy:

I had the same issue, especially bad when I exercise.   The doctors told me it was my asthma, acid reflux, and post nasal drip.  I didn't agree totally and the symptoms never go away.  It has been over a year now.  How many mg did you use of Riboflavin?  I was going to get some just to try. 

Thanks for the post.  I am really hoping this is my issue as well.

Jerry

• Posted

Hi Jerry,

What worked best for me was 50mg six times a day for a total of 300mg a day. It's best to spread out the dose because you only absorb a small amount at a time and it lasts only a few hours in the body.

Some new things I have learned are that corticosteroids can deplete B6 levels and this will also affect the mucous membranes and soft tissues of the throat. Since you have asthma I'm guessing you take steroidal medication for that, you could be low in B6. Riboflavin is needed to utilize B6 as well.

You should ask to have your thyroid levels checked if they haven't checked them because a sluggish thyroid can make you low in riboflavin. Thyroid hormone is required to utilize riboflavin.

Do you also have a lot of red blood vessels in the whites of your eyes? That's a classic symptom of chronic riboflavin deficiency.

Hope you find relief soon!

Amy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.