What clothes to take into hospital for TKR

Posted , 14 users are following.

Just wandering what to take into hospital for my TKR thought it was just nighties and dressing gown but been told to wear loose clothing for day time and flat shoes any ideas.....would you wear knee length shorts so as not to cover the wound or loose trousers HELP

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Eileen,

I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but I had both my knees done last summer. I bought 5 (cheap) light-weight loose fitting pull over (knee-ish length) dresses that I wore every day for a few weeks. It was so nice not having to deal with pants or buttons. They were confortable enough I could nap in them and super easy to get dressed in the morning. 

If your weather is warm enough to wear them, I would totally recommend dresses! 

• Posted

Well i just wore my jogging suit and that was taken off and you are given a gown and socks and that was it. They gave new gowns every day. I was there foe 3 days. After i was discharged the wound is wrap so nothing is rubbing against it. Hope that helps you.
    • Posted

Eileen my tkr was done on the 28th nov. 2016 and it was a snow storm so i was glad i had that jogging suit. I line in Minnesota
  • Posted

hi Eileen I took shorts but never wore them as you don't have to get dressed or even maybe feel like it.  I did wear one day a sweater and loose fitting hareem  type trousers Next pull on ones which I have worn quite often since came home 5 weeks ago. Something u pull on is much easier with stretchy waist. A flat easy to get on shoe is brill as slippers are a bit unsupportive.  I have worn leggings quite a lot as well as your leg (if u are like me) has a dressing in which is totally waterproof and stays on .until stitches are taken out and most leggings slide right over the dressing easily. Good luck stay well 

• Posted

Thanks Chris I was all prepared with nighties lol then they said loose fitting pants because it's a mixed ward

• Posted

Ah right  I was in my own room which was obviously a lot easier x
  • Posted

Hi Eileen, I didn't get dressed just wore nightie and dressing gown, they said in the leaflet I was given, they like you to get dressed in loose fitting clithes so you feel more "normal"

I felt anything but normal! Was only in three days and didn't give a damn what I looked like or what my clothes would have looked like either.

Changed nightie and dressing gown, cotton one, every day and felt comfortable.

It was so hot in the hospital, I didn't want clothes on. No one seemed bothered anyway, and getting shorts on and off with a swollen knee? No way.

• Posted

Yes exactly what I'm thinking Laura I'll stick to my own way I think thank you

• Posted

Laura your text made me laugh out loud but how TRUE ! You feel so wretched & what the hell, I felt much the same, For the 4 days I was in hospital I didn't feel normal at all & 3 1/2 weeks later still don't as the pain creeps through all the medication. Ah well everyone tells us it's the best thing they ever did so just have to persevere upwards & onwards. Good luck. Eileen

• Posted

It was winter when I had my TKR. I packed loose leg elastic waist fleece pants and short sleeved shirts. I packed a sweater as well. I also took a pair of sneakers.

Wishing you an easy procedure and quick healing.

• Posted

You will not feel like putting on regular clothes, trust me.

U will wear their gowns. You only need clothes to go home

in, or at least that was my experience.

If you go to rehab from hospital, you will need comfortable street clothes,and very comfortable shoes. Also, take something comfortable to sleep in. You will not care

what you look like or what you wear. At least I didn't.

I usually have to have everything perfect. I was in so much pain that clothes didn't matter.

You might also want to make sure they have any medication you are taking, that they are giving it

to you correctly. The nurses gave my sleep medication in the morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.