What do I do after prolapse surgery when there is no feeling during sex?

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had a hysterectomy in August last year as I had fibroids, a prolapse and a very sensitive bladder which meant I had accidents when I coughed & sneezed which the doctor thought would all be sorted by doing a hysterectomy (removing the cervix but leaving the ovaries). When I went for my 6 week post op check (8 weeks later) at the hospital I mentioned to the doctor that it still didn't feel right down there and when he did an internal he said no the prolapse hadn't been sorted at all!! I went back in mid November for the prolapse to be sorted and when they checked mid January at the post op appt all looked good and had healed well so I was given the ok to start exercising again and resume sex (I had been told to wait until check so that they could see all the stitches had healed) I had had sex twice between the 2 operations and after the hysterectomy it had felt different than before but everything seemed to work but this time round there is no feeling there at all and I cannot orgasm- I am devastated!! Who do I talk to about this? I have a follow up appt in July to talk about the sensitive bladder but do I make an appt with my GP before the to talk about the sex? Any help/ advise gratefully received! 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bridget

I have no experience with this , however I think the right person to talk to about this would be the gynaecologist who did the surgery . Given though you have had quite A bit of surgery to your genital area it could be just there is allot of swelling which could be affecting the nerve's down there . The hysterectomy alone would of taken you A year to recover from and you have had prolapse repair done in addition to that . I would give it A few more week's 4-6 and if you are still experiencing A lack of sensation I would go and talk to your gynaecologist .

• Posted

Hello brigitte. Not able to have an orgasm following any pelvic floor surgery is fairly common believe it or not but it's not something that is discussed very much. I was exactly the same following my hysterectomy in 1990 and again following my prolapse repair. I fortunately knew the reason why and I also knew the feeling would come back again. What happens in this type of surgery millions of nerve ends are cut, it's unavoidable but gradually they repair and you will get feeling and sensation back to the area, in your case the clitoris. There isn't anything your surgeon can do but you can by massaging the area with a lubricant or oil because this will help.

• Posted

Hi matron i had my prolapse repair 15 months ago and you gave me so much support, i plucked up the courage eventually to look in the mirror and was horrified how different things look i dont look normal at all. i am following this thread with great interest as i have been unable to have an orgasm since surgery , in fact i cant even seem to see or feel clitoris , its almost like its disapeared completely, actually quite scared ,
    • Posted

Hello jan. Keep massaging the area where your clitoris was because even if you can't feel it (and I can no longer feel mine) the sensitive nerves in that area will repair. I think it was about 2 years before I could have an orgasm after my repair. Don't be scared because I'm sure if you massage the are the sensation will gradually return.

• Posted

Thankyou matron thats reassuring to know i'd actually dispaired of it ever happening again.

• Posted

So did I jan but try not to worry too much, relax and try the massage. Perhaps your partner could help 😉

• Posted

Lol i'm sure he would be delighted ha ha , biggrin? i'm seeing my consultant on friday so i'll mention it to him also, just finding it a little embarrasing , thank goodness for this thread and your advice matron, hoping i dont have to have all repairs re done, its not been at all successful. x

• Posted

Don't be embarrassed mentioning it to your consultant jan I promise you he will have heard it all before. I could write a book on some of the things Gynaecologists and Urogynaecologists have to respond to and they are all extremely professional and would never think you were asking something silly or irrelevant, they just move onto the next patient. I'll be interested in what he has to say x

• Posted

I'll report back on friday matron , lets hope i get good news but i'm not expecting too. Think repair will have to be redone , i'm dreading it.

• Posted

Hi Jan please don't worry love.. I had my anterior done last April and was devastated to find it failed to no fault of my own. I have now accepted this and now have a wonderful new urogynacologist that I feel so positive with.I'm now waiting for another one😖.by the way matron is brilliant on her as is the lovely phyl.my old mates😘😘 good lucvk lovely and keep in touch.xx

• Posted

Hi Matron, sorry for the delay in response but I had time difference working against me! Thank you for sharing this, it's good to know that things may get better, nobody had mentioned this side of things when the pros & cons of both operations were discussed before hand. I really do hope that it will get better as so far it has been awful and it's bad enough dealing with stitches, pain etc without adding this on when the other stuff seems to have sorted itself out! I understood the first time we tried as I'm sure things down there were tender, swollen and not how they should be even 8 weeks after the prolapse surgery but a month later it seems almost worse as the swelling etc should have gone but the feelings not returned 😕 Ah well it's just a waiting game I suppose 

• Posted

Hello brigitte. We get used to the time difference on this forum and know ladies are posting from all over the world! This surgery takes much longer to recover from than people realise and unfortunately post op information on hospital discharge is sadly lacking. I do some consultancy work (in the U.K.) and it's something we are looking at and we are hoping to persuade hospital Trusts to change the advice they give, not only that but we want to see the advice to be the same as well. It can take up to 16 weeks for the swelling to reduce completely and part if the reason for that is because it can take that long for the more stubborn sutures to dissolve completely. Things will improve in time brigitte.

• Posted

Thank you it has helped massively just to have an answer that things will improve (& I hope that information from hospitals generally about this kind of op will include this sort of info in the future) 

• Posted

It's definitely given me something to think about brigitte.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.